• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute for C Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Mute for C Cornet Reply with quote

I am playing L'histoire and my Denis Wick straight that is great with trumpet just isn't working with my C cornet. Sounds is quite woofy. I have a Bach 238 C cornet.

Anyone have any suggestions for a different mute/cork adjustments?

Many thanks!

Adam
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many straight mutes (and others) have different / unique sounds.
Then there is the issue of proper fit, all bell flairs are not the same, thus fitting mutes can be an issue. I don't know this particular bell, but am not surprised. My example is the difference between my Bach 37 and Bach 1B (commercial), different bells that mutes don't fit equally. I have a couple mutes that only work well on one or the other.

You could file the corks a bit to get a "tighter" fit (mute goes in further). But then it won't be good for your trumpet (I'm guessing you have one or more).

Personally, I find a Tom Crown straight mute to have and "older" tighter sound. I have one that I find works very well on an old B&H Eb Cornet I have (which has a slightly smaller bell)
Next, I'd suggest a Jo-Ral Straight (all aluminum), also a smaller body.
But again, you'll probably have to file the corks down a bit.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 238 bell has a huge throat. It's likely the corks aren't thick enough and the mute is seating too far in.

Going between Bb and C trumpet I find my C needs thicker corks than my Bb to resonate properly and slot properly down to Low F#. Mutes with corks that are too thick don't resonate fully down to Low F#. So I have a stupid collection of mutes.

I would recommend purchasing another mute and have it corked just for that cornet. Annoying, I know, but you can keep the costs down by picking them up secondhand.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
LarsHusum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 238 bell is huge, so I agree with Tpt_guy that you probably need a mute with thicker cork, or a bigger mute.
The Tom Crown Gemini works well with the larger bell horns I have, although I don't have a horn with the 238 anymore.
I also believe that Trumcor makes straight mutes for larger bell horns, such as Monette.
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I do have a couple of Trumcor mutes with thicker corks so I will give those a try tomorrow!

Adam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: