• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opening Throat and Building Muscle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Opening Throat and Building Muscle Reply with quote

First post on this forum after lurking for a bit. Glad to finally post!
Anyways, I have two main questions.

What are these players doing with their throat and how does it help? (Links for videos below)
What is a good way to build embouchure muscles?

For the first question, these are some high note players that are all notorious for range and endurance, and they all seem to be doing the same thing with their neck, where it looks like they are opening up the throat. Is this right, and if so how could you train yourself to do it?

Bill Chase

Link

Maynard Ferguson

Link

(1:46 in the video)

For the second question, I believe that building range is a hard thing to do, as it involved strengthening the muscles of the embouchure. What is an effective way to do this? As for my range, I can hit a concert Bb above the staff pretty comfortably.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any answers about extending your high range, but the typical advice from those players who can play 'high' seems to boil down to TWO main strategies (and I'd certainly like to hear about other methods).

1) Pay attention to what you are doing NOW as you go up the range, and teach/train yourself to do more and better of the same.

2) There are physical & mechanical adaptations that are needed - and there is no 'one clear way' - it all depends on the player finding what works. And of course doing the necessary practice and training.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening Throat and Building Muscle Reply with quote

rbel wrote:
First post on this forum after lurking for a bit. Glad to finally post!
Anyways, I have two main questions.

What are these players doing with their throat and how does it help? (Links for videos below)
What is a good way to build embouchure muscles?

For the first question, these are some high note players that are all notorious for range and endurance, and they all seem to be doing the same thing with their neck, where it looks like they are opening up the throat. Is this right, and if so how could you train yourself to do it?

Bill Chase

Link

Maynard Ferguson

Link

(1:46 in the video)

For the second question, I believe that building range is a hard thing to do, as it involved strengthening the muscles of the embouchure. What is an effective way to do this? As for my range, I can hit a concert Bb above the staff pretty comfortably.

Hi,

Just to zone in on the points about 'all high note players doing the same thing with their neck' and 'range building being hard and requiring strong embouchure muscles', check out the following videos which (hopefully) challenge those beliefs.

https://youtu.be/ZdFW3_q7v4A

https://youtu.be/n11msBSK3fA

https://youtu.be/IH9PyK3bVr4?t=143

https://youtu.be/1nPvs7XsdMA

https://youtu.be/O07fEiov-vQ

https://youtu.be/1x_hjZyDjrA

https://youtu.be/74FNanM8_AY
rbel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening Throat and Building Muscle Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
Hi,

Just to zone in on the points about 'all high note players doing the same thing with their neck' and 'range building being hard and requiring strong embouchure muscles', check out the following videos which (hopefully) challenge those beliefs.

I didn't say that ALL high note players did that with their neck, just some notable ones. Although I will give those videos a watch. Thanks for replying!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just the air way expanding in response to the air. On some people it's just more obvious. Some players also have neck hernias and there is bulging that happens from that. Wayne Bergeron developed one as a teenager.

Not something to emulate...
rbel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
It's just the air way expanding in response to the air.

Thanks for the response! Should have considered that.
rbel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I don't have any answers about extending your high range, but the typical advice from those players who can play 'high' seems to boil down to TWO main strategies (and I'd certainly like to hear about other methods).

1) Pay attention to what you are doing NOW as you go up the range, and teach/train yourself to do more and better of the same.

2) There are physical & mechanical adaptations that are needed - and there is no 'one clear way' - it all depends on the player finding what works. And of course doing the necessary practice and training.

Jay

I've kinda heard about these before, but you put it in a good way to really understand. Thanks!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
It's just the air way expanding in response to the air. On some people it's just more obvious. Some players also have neck hernias and there is bulging that happens from that. Wayne Bergeron developed one as a teenager.

Not something to emulate...

Correct. This is not something the players "do" and/or "control." It's just a by-product of their particular physiology and playing style. Some players (like me) have this characteristic. Some don't. Whether you do or don't doesn't have any relationship to your range capabilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: