• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

On the motives of playing&practising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: On the motives of playing&practising Reply with quote

In my younger days I just practiced and played so much I could find time to because of full time job, full time child rearing, full time you name it. Brassband playing demanded I honed my technical skills, endurance; bigband playing required high register, to put it simple. Practiced 20 -30 minutes a day at the most– young lips made me able to play dance gigs 4x45 minutes (and as every brassband front row cornetist knows you gotta have strong lips). Our brassband director kept raising the bar so finally a rather good technical level was attained (within amateur limits, far far below the top UK bands of course).
I never thought much about why I went on – I just enjoyed playing and tried to match the different demands the music required. However we coined a concept - ”to be gig-horny” indicating a somewhat deeper motivation..I took care to practice whenever I found the time and I guess I must have found it worthwile. Never any need for social clubs, Rotary and stuff like that – I got so many friends in the bands, had the opportunity to play in so many different situations and places, at home and abroad; besides that playing in the same brassband since -58 has provided me with unique opportunities to follow friends en route through life.
Now having reached maturity (if musicians ever do that) – work/studies/childrearing etc have receded into the background (well, grandchildren, some work) so I have ample time practicing. And that I do, 2-3 hours day, playing lead in two big bands and the aforementioned brassband. It was not my idea to play lead, I stepped down in the big bands years ago, but circumstances have put me in the first chair, again.
Now – we have a concert coming (big band) up with difficult arrangements, in my view too difficult for the band and me, not least. So I practice like…...but at one point I began thinking this is, if not way above so above my contemporary ability. Not endurancewise but the high register is somewhat lacking; I have tons of orchestral routine etc etc. Maybe I just ain´t that good so garbage in garbage out? Or?
But this focus on practicing has made me think of what is it that makes me do it? The incentives?
Which made me ponder over what makes us devot so much time blowing Day by day, hour by hour year by year.
At one point, playing in a little wind ensamble one of clarinetists, a former pro in a distinguished symphony orchestra said, reflectingly ”hey music is fun….” He was used always playing top notch, red lamp on (=recording quality) – so I guess he suddenly became aware that he had played all his life on top of a certain stress. So why did he go on? For the love of it? I do like playing in the bands, being in the middle of a forest with so many sounds emerging, being part of something bigger, an artistic (???) production, something people might enjoy listening/dancing to, playing my part of the harmonics. Some elusive part of my ”set up” derives joy, absorbs (at best sucking me into a welth of rhythms, sounds).
Maybe I´ve answered my question?
When I practice I have come to think of ”cost/benefit” so far I find it worthwile, I still have goals, I am presented to difficult music and I do my very best. When we travel to the Alps I like to climb as high as my heart permits, wanting so see what´s on the other side of that hill. My wife can´t understand this so she remains waiting bit worried I´ll fall down. Why? Same thing that keeps me going musically?
Choosing a musical career – that´s a huge huge commitment – practicing 5-6 hours a day or more – always having to be on top. I realize there´s a continuum – I have mates who practice every other day, at the most, playing in one band never really aspiring to get up on stage – and then we have ...me.
Ranting on – sure.
What makes you go for it guys? How come you sit down practicing all these hours? What do you get back? What´s your reward? Would be nice to hear from ”brothers and sisters in arms” - how did you end up here?
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goals for retirement age: If it isn't fun, don't do it. Play music that you like. Don't torture yourself. Don't take the gig if it isn't your thing.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I have thought about this lately. I reached a high level in professional music and have nothing to prove to anyone. Having semi-retired and had several strokes, there's no necessity for me to practice. No skill left, no ensembles I qualify for. And yet I persist.

I was a professional woodwind player and lost all functional use of my left hand. I had previously played French horn and that was out for the same reason. I switched to trumpet and, after over a year, I still haven't gone beyond the Mitchell seventh lesson due to weakened finger and facial muscles. I started out as a professional trumpet player so know how it's supposed to go.

At this point, I have nothing to prove and I have no ability to have attainable, qualitative goals. But I still practice five or six days a week and I've come to the conclusion that it's just in my DNA. I practice because I can't not practice.

I recently thought about a deceased trombonist who was a friend of mine and with whom I had regularly worked and who was a generally good guy and outstanding but unemployed musician. I was giving a lesson one day and looked out the window and there was Viktor practicing outdoors waiting to give the next lesson. He would practice any time, anywhere. I asked him why he practiced so much, and he said, "It's just something you do".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: On the motives of playing&practising Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
In my younger days I just practiced and played so much I could find time to because of full time job, full time child rearing, full time you name it... I never thought much about why I went on – I just enjoyed playing and tried to match the different demands the music required...
What makes you go for it guys? How come you sit down practicing all these hours? What do you get back? What´s your reward? Would be nice to hear from ”brothers and sisters in arms” - how did you end up here?

Seymor,

Your thoughts on this subject struck very close to home today.

I pursued the goal of being the very best Solo Soprano Bugle player in Drum and Bugle Corps from 13 years old until I left the corps at 18. I replaced that by trying to get into every trumpet oriented group that my college had to offer. I loved playing screamer in the Marching Band and looked forward to playing outdoors (Drum Corps background I guess) no matter the weather (crazy, no?). I got a seat in the Jazz Ensemble during my 2nd year at college as a 4th part player. Before the end of that semester, I was pushed into the lead position, I assume mostly because of my range and endurance. My reading skills were always challenged, but given a little woodshed time, I could do my part with much enjoyment (at least for me) and a desire to learn and play well.

After college, a fellow professional trumpet player and close friend sent me in as a sub for him on a very high profile Big Band gig, telling me that I was familiar with a lot of the charts from college. I played 2nd trumpet to the band leader that night and got the offer to take the band on regularly. I took it, and with the band working 3-4 gigs month after month, I stayed on for a decade plus. During that same period I started getting calls for other situations including a Latin Band that played 2 or 3 times during the week, so very little conflict. I discovered that I really enjoyed learning new things and approaches as much as I had liked everything else music. Alas, I was working enough that I really did nothing to improve my reading skills and practiced just enough to keep my chops in top form and perfect new music.

After playing in a working rock and roll band for a decade, I made the decision to focus on getting my retirement money in order so I put my trumptets away for 14 years after performing on a very eye opening 2000 New Year's Eve millinum Voyage to Nowhere cruise (leave port, navigate around for a few hours, return to port in the wee hours of the new year, get paid and drive home). A long drive home gave me time to think and discuss with my Wife, and by the time we got home, decision made.

Anyway, I decided to comeback shortly after retirement from my day gig almost 5 years ago. I am in a different playing experience altogether this time around. After performing a Church Service with a local Symphony musician, I got introduced into her world. I absolutely enjoy the learning as much or more than ever. I practice daily with a focus on developing those skills that I should have started when I was young and perform at least 1 time per week on some form of classical gig pretty much every week year round. Go figure! I have made my practice a daily sheduled routine, as is my learning style and, no matter what, execute even when traveling. I enjoy playing so much again (maturity?) and I don't let the negative politics of being a trumpet player enter into the picture any more.

Touche' regarding the rant!

Kindest regards,
Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Goals for retirement age: If it isn't fun, don't do it. Play music that you like. Don't torture yourself. Don't take the gig if it isn't your thing.

Well it is fun. And I am still in a state of becoming better(much to my amazement). The upcoming concert program has been adjusted in accordance with the skill of the band so no longer any doubts about that.
Sometimes you´ll wind up in situations where you will have to stretch out in order to help your fellow bandsmen - no option of bailing out!
However it was during the long practice hours I became aware of the thoughts of above. Guess I´ve answered my questions myself. But I am genuinely interested in hearing the stories from others so I very much appreciate your comments so far; Kehaulani - you are a true fighter!! - and " I practice because I can't not practice". so true so true; In so many words!
cbtj51! Nice following your journey through life - many points in common!
"Goals for retirement age: If it isn't fun, don't do it." - hence a basic point of departure is "having fun"!

Some kind of power from within making us play. Maybe there is an universal drive/tendency to express oneself in different forms of art - we chose the trumpet/music?

How come this topic did only attract a few of us? My wish was not to get Shakespearian tales but just simple thoughts of why, from all of us to all of us. Sharing! So don´t hesistate - have a good think - maybe you´ll find something you might share??
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, its just fun and a challenge to see if I can recapture some or all of the skill from decades ago (or even better?) Despite some rough days where it seems I go backwards, I refuse to give in. At the moment, I am on a Cruise, sneaking to my room, pulling out the pocket trumpet and practice mute. While I can't complain about being on a cruise and having fun, I also can't wait to get back into a regular routine with a full sounding horn.

At the age of 67, the idea that at age 72 i can really be a lot better at something in five years time gives me something to look forward to. I know i am not going to be better at a lot of things in 5 years, like golf, etc. But this is something i can control and the sky's the limit and i really like that feeling. After 4 months back, i hit high C a couple of days ago for the first time in 50 years and it really, realy feels nice when i could barely squeak out an E abive the staff a couple of months ago.

So, thoughts from an enthused comebacker.

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:
For me, its just fun and a challenge to see if I can recapture some or all of the skill from decades ago (or even better?) Despite some rough days where it seems I go backwards, I refuse to give in

This is it pretty much me, too. I came back three years ago at the age of 80 after a 50 year hiatus . I've had my ups and downs but playing in a band was the best thing for me and got me on track quickly. Because of my age and some health issues I have my limitations, but I know what they are now so I don't kill myself trying to do things I know I can never do. I practice every morning and play tunes and practice band music in the afternoons. I play a high C every morning but my comfort playing area is around A above the staff. Next week I start playing with a larger brass and reed band and I can't wait for that first practice session.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good stuff. Returned after a 12 year lay-off in 2015 and have been at it since. I try to practice every day and, as the kids get older, it sort of works.

While I am not approaching retirement for another 20 years, I do realize that my playing changes. My technique is more refined, I hear things I never really heard before in my playing (most notably, my control of intonation is much better) and I play much more precisely and with better dynamics. And my range is actually better than before.

But why do I do it - I just love practicing and gigging. I love the sound of my instruments. Yeah, I think this is it. As someone put it earlier: I cannot not play.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I enjoy about this forum is the support from fellow trumpet players. We may be different ages, play different kinds of music, and be from different countries- but there's that common thread of the passion and challenge of playing the trumpet.

My motives for playing and practice are pretty typical, though I probably come to it differently than many. Yes, I started as a kid in elementary school band, and discovered jazz and guitar as a teenager. I wasn't a marching band geek, though. I was learning a lot of jazz guitar with a teacher, and then switched my emphasis to trumpet. Not that I was better- but that's part of the motivation! Trumpet playing was a profound mystery, I had no idea how the bebop players I loved could play that way.

I realized (with parental discouragement and older, unsuccessful musician friends) that going to college for engineering, not music, was a better career choice, but I kept it up as a hobby and found more playing opportunities at college.

I kept practicing for decades, staying ready for jams or gigs that seldom materialized. Eventually I put it away for a while, but came back to it 5-6 years ago. Playing opportunities appeared, and a few lessons and an embouchure change unlocked some of those mysteries. Now I'm in a big band, playing lead parts, going to a jam session occasionally too.

It's a struggle to fit in, I'm still commuting, working, a late-in-life new dad, but I can't NOT play, it's taken so many years for the pieces to fall into place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: