• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

KING WHITE SILVERSONIC CORNET

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddog45

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: KING WHITE SILVERSONIC CORNET Reply with quote

Can anyone provide some input or sound information which is the better Cornet in the vintage King family? The Silver sonic or the silver tone models? Is 1500.00 too much for either horn purportedly in excellent condition? Thanks
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much unless you are getting directly from H. N. White or it has been completely restored to new status.

Do a search of past auctions on Ebay for prices.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: $$! Reply with quote

I'm with R3 on this one!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1933 H.N. White Silvertone Model No. 2 cornet. It has the deluxe finish which means it's silver plated with gold plated slides, gold plated valve caps top and bottom, gold plated finger buttons, gold plated water keys and a gold plated bell rim (of course the bell itself is sterling silver). The horn is in superb condition and a fine player. The silver and gold plating are 100%. No dents, no dings, no scratches. Minor swirls in the silver plating. There is a tiny solder mark near one of the water keys. Mechanically excellent. I don't believe the horn was restored. I think it was just barely played.

I bought it from the H.N. White collection several years ago. I paid $1,000 for it. What it would cost today is anyone's guess. My own feeling is that for $1,500 the horn has to be like new. I see several horns on the H.N. White website that may meet that description and they are priced accordingly. The people who run the H.N. White website are very nice to work with.

I have no experience with the Silver Sonic cornet models.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1500 is too much. Byron Autrey's personal Silvertone (Master Model #2) cornets that he performed on throughout his life were just sold by his heirs for less than that. Typical is around $750. Excellent condition around $1000.

"Silversonic" is just a later tradename for the same sterling bell after HN White got into trouble because "silvertone" was a registered tradename for stencils of B&F imports for a major chain.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my 1961 King Silver Sonic cornet at a pawn shop and talked them down from $100 to $80.

So I'd say $1500 is way too much.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F-86 supersonic jet fighter. That is the difference. After this fighter became the new standard for fighter jets in the early '50's, everything in American marketing, from toasters to automobiles, had to have a "supersonic" flare to it, whether in name or design, as with the classic automobiles with large tail fins like the 1959 Eldorado.

H. N. White did the same thing. It is the same cornet: a Master Model with a solid sterling silver bell. Only the name was changed from "Silver Tone" to "Silver Sonic" to take advantage of this marketing.

OK. H. N. White did make a couple of minor changes over time: in the late '50's, the company adopted the "Bach standard" cornet shank for its receivers and discontinued the proprietary receiver with the older taper mouthpieces, and discontinued the "fine tuning" ferrule on the main tuning slide (revived for a couple of "reissue" or "commemorative" horns, but I digress).

And in later years, the "Master Model" name for cornets was discontinued, replaced by the "Super 20" designation from the trumpets and saxophones. But again, the basic underslung design, valve block, and bell flare were all unchanged, only the cosmetics of the valve caps and a couple other minor details.

A good market price for an instrument in good condition with no dings to the sterling silver bell is $500. I was the caretaker of my uncle's Silver Tone cornet until my cousin wanted it, and was friends with my home town music store owner who was an H. N. White dealer until he died and knew three generations of my family and sold my grandfather the cornet for my uncle new right after WWII.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sears sold stencil horns under the "Silvertone" name in the 1930's -- before King started using the name. In the early 1950's Sears won a trademark lawsuit against King over the name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: