• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A solid foundation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: A solid foundation Reply with quote

Just re-set my signature. Quote is taken from a 2005 talk given by Dr William Moriarty. He who edited the. "Stevens-Costello Triple C Embouchure Technique" text. Published 1971.

Oftentimes I've heard the expression applied to learning good register on the trumpet,

"a contractor doesn't start building a house from the top floor on down".

The purpose of the statement seems to be to advise a developing trumpet player not to concentrate on his upper register too much at first. Making the comparison on the construction of a building.

I find myself both in agreement and disagreement with the analogy. All at the same time. What do they call that "cognitive dissonance"? As embouchure is not the same as a three dimensional structure. A building does require support for it's top floor. No doubt about that at all. You simply can not start working on the top floor until everything else structural is in place below it first.

Conversely if you know what you're doing? You can work with most any raw beginning trumpet player and rig his chops to play a G above high C. Maybe even a double C and higher. Now this note may not be worth ten cents in musicality but the tone can be produced on virtually any beginning trumpet player. I have seen this accomplished many times before myself.

However now we get to the part where I agree with the statement. As unless this person who has temporarily rigged his chops to blow high notes develops his lower and middle registers soon afterward? That and prepares his registers to all blend together seamlessly? Then whatever high notes he originally rigged up are probably kind of useless. A compromise seems to be in order here.

Because the world is composed almost entirely of trumpet players who can not play the entire range of the instrument. Not even if their life depended upon it. As Roy Stevens noted in the following loose quote,

"The average trumpet player starts out on a loose, low note embouchure. He continues to develop until one day he discovers that there is such a thing as an upper register. And except for a few rare cases he does not have one".

Like I said it's a loose quote. The problem I have with the "Strong Foundation" theory is that it will almost always produce trumpet players who have nothing above a high C at all. Now this is not necessarily a problem for school band directors. Because his goal isn't to produce a whole lineup of Doc Severinsens in the band. The director only needs to put average musicians on the bandstand in order to keep his job. So I don't blame him for teaching the trumpet the way that he usually does. The low note system in other words. His is almost always a numbers game. Get enough motivated, young instrumentalists out there on the field, most playing pretty well and then consider yourself a success. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Besides, who really knows what makes an embouchure tick? I'd sure like to think that I'm gettin closer to that ideal understanding. However the kind of knowledge that a so-called "chops-guru" has is mostly meant for the individual who really wants to learn high notes. This may require a more dedicated instrumentalist than the average. So I think it does.

So due to the described systemic considerations it appears to me that at least for right now? High notes are only for the minority. Those who through good fortune find that their physiology does not fight the production of high notes. The masses however will continue to struggle. Either that or simply be satisfied with having limited range.. Hopefully this could change.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a chop expert by any means but common sense dictates playing with one embouchure. in the extreme low pedal register i will admit to using additional lip extension but it is an extreme case, for drills only and not for performance.
we sign up for acquiring some high register facility when we pick up the instrument. if it isn't grand it should be workmanlike.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be a great feeling to know that you are one of the few chosen.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A solid foundation Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
So due to the described systemic considerations it appears to me that at least for right now? High notes are only for the minority. Those who through good fortune find that their physiology does not fight the production of high notes. The masses however will continue to struggle. Either that or simply be satisfied with having limited range.. Hopefully this could change.

-------------------------------------
I don't understand your point.
What 'systemic considerations' restrict "high notes are only for the minority" - "Those who through good fortune ..."
How is "find their physiology does not fight the production of high notes" a systemic consideration?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief.

Before you make generalizations about band directors (and I’m not buying the passive aggressive “makes sense to me” stuff), try that gig for a few years and see what you think. I’m not a band director, though I do have a music Ed degree and teach lessons in a public school system, and I see what they have to deal with. Kids who are in generally the early stages of figuring out how to play an instrument and who are distracted with a thousand other activities, kids who spend way way too much time on various electronic devices and social media, kids dealing with braces on their teeth, kids whose parents reward them for doing basically nothing beyond minimal effort and do not expect them to take the horn out of the case anywhere besides in the band room, despite being informed repeatedly that if a kid never practices his lack of progress greatly increases the chance that he/she will want to quit. One parent actually told me she begs (BEGS!!) her sixth grader to practice. “Beg” was not in my parents’ vocabularies in dealing with me as a kid.

And I don’t know of any band director who is consciously teaching a “low note system”, I know lots of them who are trying to get students to play with a decent tone and intonation, the ability to read on at least a basic level and NOT QUIT. So yeah, in teaching ensembles, upper register pedagogy sometimes does take a back seat to that.

Hey, I know there are band directors and other public school teachers who basically tread water in order to make it to retirement, but the gig is not quite as easy as some people think.

I agree that upper register is an important part of being a good well rounded trumpet player, and for a lot of commercial genres it’s completely necessary. But I don’t know if we should expect band directors to be able and have the time necessary to help students develop range that’s often (at least in concert band and orchestra) just not as important as other aspects of being a good trumpet player. And just as a quick FYI, personally I’m not one of those guys who scoffs at the need for upper register because I have none. I’m no screamer, but I have a consistent F-G, which for many genres and the weekly funk/pop/rock weekly gigs I do is adequate.

Brad
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to respond to some of these replies. My use of the term "systemic" has to do with the whole process of starting a kid out on the trumpet. It isn't the fault of the band director and I think this point was stated almost emphatically in the O/P. It's hard enough just to teach in schools today and I meant no malice towards anyone.

The problem is just that most teachers are not aware of the upper register being both sn attainable and necessary goal. Right straight from the get go! Nor do they realize that an unlimited embouchure is often critically dependent upon the early instruction of teeth, lip and mouthpiece placement and usage. As Roy Stevens said,

"You can't play on your teeth".

His Two Aperture Theory" explains, at least in part the need to inspect and adust the chops relative to the teeth. As well as the mouthpiece and buzz. While I don't expect that teachers of beginning students will immediately start accepting the benefit of starting a kid off on an unlimited embouchure? And certainly not just because I said they ought to do this. Yet I still see this idea as being of enough importance to start discussing.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
I'm not sure how to respond to some of these replies. ....

The problem is just that most teachers are not aware of the upper register being both sn attainable and necessary goal. Right straight from the get go! Nor do they realize that an unlimited embouchure is often critically dependent upon the early instruction of teeth, lip and mouthpiece placement and usage. ......

I’m honestly not trying to start an argument, and you are as entitled to your opinions as anyone else.

What bothers me is generalizations like “most teachers are not aware of the upper register being both an attainable and necessary goal.” “Most”?? Where do you get that? I would assume “most” means more than 50% of all band directors, where do you come by that information?

AGAIN, I absolutely agree that many band directors don’t focus on upper register, but I believe it’s more a matter of priorities than lack of knowledge. Here’s a theoretical situation: you have 20 trumpet players, let’s use 7-8 graders as an example. You are trying to get them to play their parts of a given piece with at least minimal accuracy and intonation. The rehearsal is one hour. Your best kid regarding range has a weak B above the staff, and he is your BEST kid. The rest of them are fracking all over the place and butchering the rhythms, their intonation, etc. How much time do you you have to work on upper register, even if (you usually don’t) you run that sectional every day?

Again, I’m NOT making excuses for a band director who sleepwalks through his job and ignores his kids’ upper register development, but unless you have been in that position, I don’t know if you have an accurate frame of reference, nor do I think you really have accurate information to back up your assertions that “most teachers are not aware....”

The reality is that if a kid is in any school band program and does not take private lessons, it’s pretty likely that they will reach only minimal levels of accomplishment. Yes, the band director is part of the equation, but there is just so much that can be accomplished in ensemble rehearsals.

Brad
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Lionel's mention of Roy Stevens and William Moriarity, I found this online pdf by Stevens, edited by Moriarity -

EMBOUCHURE SELF ANALYSIS

http://abel.hive.no/oj/musikk/trompet/stevens/stevens.pdf

I'm just starting to read thru it now.

Jay
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
What bothers me is generalizations like “most teachers are not aware of the upper register being both an attainable and necessary goal.” “Most”?? Where do you get that? I would assume “most” means more than 50% of all band directors, where do you come by that information?

In my teaching experience (40+ years) Lionel is correct. I've worked under dozens of band directors, and I can only remember 2 or so who gave a damn about upper register, or about encouraging kids in that direction. Sure, they have more basic things to deal with in running a band, but many of them would actually throw out the baby with the bathwater and actively discourage any real upper register development. Always seemed sad to me. Upper register is difficult enough to attain without further discouragement.

For some reason, Lionel appears to rub some of you the wrong way. As a result, he gets "accused" of things, accusations which often seem strange to me. To me, Lionel is sharing a perspective on developing upper register, a perspective that worked for him. He is not blowing smoke - I've heard him play. Considering that most players here cannot do what he does, I think that his stories and comments should be allowed some latitude.

Jeff
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A solid foundation Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
Just re-set my signature. Quote is taken from a 2005 talk given by Dr William Moriarty. He who edited the. "Stevens-Costello Triple C Embouchure Technique" text. Published 1971.

Oftentimes I've heard the expression applied to learning good register on the trumpet,

"a contractor doesn't start building a house from the top floor on down".

The purpose of the statement seems to be to advise a developing trumpet player not to concentrate on his upper register too much at first. Making the comparison on the construction of a building.

I find myself both in agreement and disagreement with the analogy. All at the same time. What do they call that "cognitive dissonance"? As embouchure is not the same as a three dimensional structure. A building does require support for it's top floor. No doubt about that at all. You simply can not start working on the top floor until everything else structural is in place below it first.

Conversely if you know what you're doing? You can work with most any raw beginning trumpet player and rig his chops to play a G above high C. Maybe even a double C and higher. Now this note may not be worth ten cents in musicality but the tone can be produced on virtually any beginning trumpet player. I have seen this accomplished many times before myself.

However now we get to the part where I agree with the statement. As unless this person who has temporarily rigged his chops to blow high notes develops his lower and middle registers soon afterward? That and prepares his registers to all blend together seamlessly? Then whatever high notes he originally rigged up are probably kind of useless. A compromise seems to be in order here.

Because the world is composed almost entirely of trumpet players who can not play the entire range of the instrument. Not even if their life depended upon it. As Roy Stevens noted in the following loose quote,

"The average trumpet player starts out on a loose, low note embouchure. He continues to develop until one day he discovers that there is such a thing as an upper register. And except for a few rare cases he does not have one".

Like I said it's a loose quote. The problem I have with the "Strong Foundation" theory is that it will almost always produce trumpet players who have nothing above a high C at all. Now this is not necessarily a problem for school band directors. Because his goal isn't to produce a whole lineup of Doc Severinsens in the band. The director only needs to put average musicians on the bandstand in order to keep his job. So I don't blame him for teaching the trumpet the way that he usually does. The low note system in other words. His is almost always a numbers game. Get enough motivated, young instrumentalists out there on the field, most playing pretty well and then consider yourself a success. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Besides, who really knows what makes an embouchure tick? I'd sure like to think that I'm gettin closer to that ideal understanding. However the kind of knowledge that a so-called "chops-guru" has is mostly meant for the individual who really wants to learn high notes. This may require a more dedicated instrumentalist than the average. So I think it does.

+1

Lionel, thanks so much for sharing these observations.
I think this is one of the best posts I have seen in a long time.
Cheers,
Harry
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
... I can only remember 2 or so who gave a damn about upper register, or about encouraging kids in that direction.
... but many of them would actually throw out the baby with the bathwater and actively discourage any real upper register development. ...

----------------------------------------
My understanding is that the 'upper register' mentioned here is ABOVE 'high C' - and that playing range is not often encountered in typical high school material.

And about discouraging development of that range - yes, a band director doesn't appreciate the player who's attempting unwritten strato range notes and is basically a 'discipline problem' during planned rehearsal time.

Jay
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you missed my meaning when I said "throw the baby out with the bathwater." Sure, there are times when students get out of control and the clamps need to be applied, but I'm not talking about obvious discipline problems.

As for your other comment about not needing to play much above high C, I think that you are missing the point. I rarely run into an adult player who does not secretly wish for more range. My experience is that the upper register is much easier to learn if it is introduced early in the educational process. Much less fear down the road.

Jeff
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

In my teaching experience (40+ years) Lionel is correct. I've worked under dozens of band directors, and I can only remember 2 or so who gave a damn about upper register, or about encouraging kids in that direction. Sure, they have more basic things to deal with in running a band, but many of them would actually throw out the baby with the bathwater and actively discourage any real upper register development. Always seemed sad to me. Upper register is difficult enough to attain without further discouragement.

For some reason, Lionel appears to rub some of you the wrong way. As a result, he gets "accused" of things, accusations which often seem strange to me. To me, Lionel is sharing a perspective on developing upper register, a perspective that worked for him. He is not blowing smoke - I've heard him play. Considering that most players here cannot do what he does, I think that his stories and comments should be allowed some latitude.

Jeff

With all due respect to your years of teaching, I still contend that the average band director is not actively discouraging range development, I still believe that in many (I’m avoiding “most” because I have no evidence to support that more than half of all directors are ignoring range development) cases it’s a matter of priorities. Few band directors that I have seen and worked with spend much time in ensemble rehearsals on double tonguing, for example, either. Is that because they don’t believe it’s important or necessary? I doubt it, but I think out of time constraints and the necessity of getting groups of young players up to speed on various concert/contest pieces, they simply run out of time to work on things that they probably do believe ARE important. That’s where guys like me come in, private lesson teachers.

Brad
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
As for your other comment about not needing to play much above high C, I think that you are missing the point. I rarely run into an adult player who does not secretly wish for more range. My experience is that the upper register is much easier to learn if it is introduced early in the educational process. Much less fear down the road.

Jeff

-------------------------------------------
If the basic playing techniques that are taught early are counter-productive to the person later acquiring upper register ability, that's a problem. But is it necessary to actually introduce high range playing early?

And is the 'progress rate' (for typical 'school playing') with beginners who have an early intro to the upper register similar (or better) than those who haven't?

I think that many school band directors are very concerned with developing the crop of players who will progress thru HS graduation - and with much less concern about their playing in later life - unless the student is highly talented and motivated.

Jay
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
trumpetteacher1 wrote:

Jeff

I think that many school band directors are very concerned with developing the crop of players who will progress thru HS graduation - and with much less concern about their playing in later life - unless the student is highly talented and motivated.

Jay

I think you’re probably correct, and I do agree with those who would like this to be different. The reality is, a very small percentage of high school players continue into college years, and even fewer as older adults.

So does that excuse teachers from trying to help kids, in this case, develop
range? No it doesn’t, but I don’t agree with those who say band directors in general aren’t doing it because they simply don’t care about it.

Brad
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
With all due respect to your years of teaching, I still contend that the average band director is not actively discouraging range development, I still believe that in many (I’m avoiding “most” because I have no evidence to support that more than half of all directors are ignoring range development) cases it’s a matter of priorities.

Your belief that band directors are basically too busy to deal with upper register development also used to be my belief. However, over time, after conversations with many directors, my opinion changed. And what I'm saying is that it's not that they don't have time for it, or don't care about it, but instead that "most" have a hidden (but very active) bias against promoting it. To almost every one, upper register development was a bad thing, always associated with egos out of control (or variations on that theme).

If your experience is different from mine, I'm happy for you.

Jeff
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
... but instead that "most" have a hidden (but very active) bias against promoting it. To almost every one, upper register development was a bad thing, always associated with egos out of control (or variations on that theme). ...

-----------------------------------------------
What student behavior do those directors attribute to 'egos out of control' - earlier you implied there weren't 'discipline problems' , and I assumed that meant just typical low-impact student 'antics'.

Jay
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taught band at various levels for 33 years. I don't know many band directors who actively discourage range development. But I believe that the vast majority of band directors, even the brass playing ones, don't have the knowledge of how to play above high C easily. I,unfortunately, am one of them. I have studied with many several of the top trumpet teachers in the U.S. and still struggle with range and endurance. Almost every band director I know encourages private lessons. This enables the student to get instruction from highly qualified teachers on each instrument. I ran an after school lesson program so my kids could have access. Me trying to teach a bassoonist advanced techniques would be impossible.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
trumpetteacher1 wrote:

Jeff

If the basic playing techniques that are taught early are counter-productive to the person later acquiring upper register ability, that's a problem. But is it necessary to actually introduce high range playing early?

Not becoming acquainted with some degree of high range playing - at any age - is itself counter-productive to development. It keeps the player both physically locked into a restricted range of motion, and mentally locked in to a restricted range of potential. If early in your training you gravitate to an embouchure that only allows you to play up to high C (at best) you have already restricted your potential, and added unnecessary psychological baggage (high notes are hard) that must be overcome later.

And is the 'progress rate' (for typical 'school playing') with beginners who have an early intro to the upper register similar (or better) than those who haven't?

In my experience, yes.

Very much agree with you.

Jeff
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
trumpetteacher1 wrote:
... but instead that "most" have a hidden (but very active) bias against promoting it. To almost every one, upper register development was a bad thing, always associated with egos out of control (or variations on that theme). ...

-----------------------------------------------
What student behavior do those directors attribute to 'egos out of control' - earlier you implied there weren't 'discipline problems' , and I assumed that meant just typical low-impact student 'antics'.Jay

They paint with a broad brush, and assign negative qualities to any kid who desires to learn to play much higher than a C. It's kind of a "nothing good can come from this" mentality.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: