• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Frost Custom Brass Review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFlinch83
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Frost Custom Brass Review Reply with quote

I don't often post reviews, but every once in a while a product really impresses me and I want to help get the word out. I've tried every mouthpiece imaginable and have just stumbled upon what I consider to be the perfect set up for me. Frost Custom Brass (Matt Frost) has made me a set of four custom mouthpieces:

C trumpet: O2MVD24/10
Bb/Eb trumpet: O2MV25MTV
Cornet/flugelhorn with O2 rim

All I can say is WOW. These mouthpieces are something special.

Rim: O2 is what he calls his 1.25C diameter (645). It's got a sharp inner bite but it still very comfortable on the chops. Feels less boxy than the Parke's I've always gone back and forth with.

Cups: the MVD is a copy of a Mt. Vernon 1.25 cup I think and works great on my Yamaha NY2 C trumpet. The MTV gives a lot of clarity and projection to my Yamaha NY2 Bb and Schilke E3L Eb/D.

The overall sound is exactly what I have always looked for. Very colorful, brilliant but not laserbeam-like, easy high and low register and VERY in tune. I've always had trouble with high C on C trumpet being a little flat, but this C trumpet mouthpiece seems to help that. Each mouthpiece really sparkles and sounds much more colorful than many I had been playing in the past.

One note on the flugelhorn mouthpiece: up to high C on my Yamaha 631G is in tune. With my other piece I had been using it was 20 cents flat.

Give Frost a try! PS...I don't work for this company and have never met Matt. I ordered this set on a whim and am very glad I did.

A word on pricing and availability: they were ready in 4 weeks which is exactly what I was told when ordering. Also, they were $145 a piece for one-piece mouthpieces. Not at all bad for a completely custom mouthpiece.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to try a Frost mouthpiece. I'm thinking a 1 piece O6MV26MTV to start with.

How would you personally describe the depth and shape of the MV and MVD cups? Maybe in comparison to another brand like Warburton, Bach, Curry, etc.? I know they're based off of a 1.5C and 1.25C respectively but I'd like your take. I'm looking for just the right depth for a Bb mouthpiece, my VBC. 5C seems ever so slightly less efficient than I'd like.

Does the blank look like a Bach copy? There's an image on his website of a mouthpiece with a really cool looking blank but I suspect that might be 2 piece only.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O00Joe wrote:
I've been wanting to try a Frost mouthpiece. I'm thinking a 1 piece O6MV26MTV to start with.

How would you personally describe the depth and shape of the MV and MVD cups? Maybe in comparison to another brand like Warburton, Bach, Curry, etc.? I know they're based off of a 1.5C and 1.25C respectively but I'd like your take. I'm looking for just the right depth for a Bb mouthpiece, my VBC. 5C seems ever so slightly less efficient than I'd like.

Does the blank look like a Bach copy? There's an image on his website of a mouthpiece with a really cool looking blank but I suspect that might be 2 piece only.

The MV cup I have is a 1C rim/MV and it is very efficient and colorful. Very much C shape. The MVD has a little more volume on the sides, but still very manageable. The MTV backbore is AWESOME. I was skeptical at first, being a Bach 10 copy, but it was way better than I could have ever wanted. Lots more depth and color to it than stock. He does a Bach blank with his own top and he used to have his own style backbore shape but most people ordered the Bach style so he stopped having them readily available HOWEVER; you can still get it. It looks really slick when paired with a Bach-ish top.

I am proud to given Matt my business for the last four years, and to continue doing so. I highly recommend him for whatever your needs may be.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two mouthpieces with the MTV backbore cut into them. It really lit those pieces up.

I second the quality of his work. Top notch all around.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Rompson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that Matt at Frost Custom Brass has done a lot of great work for me over the past few years. He has helped nail down my equipment and helped my playing reach a level that I had never known before. I started out with mods to stock mouthpieces, then ordered some rim sections and underparts, and have now graduated to a full mouthpiece duplication (with specified mods). The price has always been very reasonable, but the most impressive thing is the turnaround time for his work. Like BFlinch said, 4 week turnaround time for custom work, as little as 3 days (!) for mods. And the quality is great as well.

As a PSA, anyone wanting a Claude Gordon mouthpiece can now contact Matt and use the Benge CG1 mouthpiece that I had duplicated. He can put any rim on that you would like, scaled to any size. Multiple blanks as well.

I’m also not affiliated with Frost and have never met Matt, just a happy customer.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shoot, I know what my next new mouthpiece is going to be. Thanks for the replies so far, ya'll.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Rompson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in again to say the I really love the MVD Cup. It is definitely the best 1 1/4C cup I have tried. It has more depth to the sound and a little more color without being harder to play. I used it on Bb an C with equal success, just changing backbores.

In regards to the blank, I can confirm that the "Frost" blank looks awesome. Matt has impressed upon me many times that anything is possible, so you can definitely get any blank you would like, two piece or one piece or whatever.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has done various difficult jobs for me - including making a small French shank backbore for my Selmer trumpet based on my measurements and recutting a cornet rim to match my Horntrader trumpet mouthpiece.
All done to a very high standard.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on this thread, I ordered the following from Matt, in his FCB blank:

-W6MC top ("wide" rim, 3-size diameter, 3C depth cup, but not a traditional bowl shape)
-5 backbore (76-style)

Got them Monday, took them to a session Tuesday and am beyond impressed. His "W" rim isn't really wide at all, apparently it's just slightly wider than his standard rim.

The MC cup is something special: attacks are super-quick, articulation and flexibility is great, and the sound can be shaded from dark to bright with very little effort.

Matt's communication is excellent and the fit and finish of his components is Greg Black-level, ie, perfect.

I'm REALLY happy and can recommend his line wholeheartedly. Anyone looking for a "more efficient 3C" type piece should add this one to the list. I'll be back soon for a deeper cup (and maybe a shallower one too!) and another backbore.
Robert1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: My great experience with Frost Custom Brass Reply with quote

I just wanted to relay my great experience with Matt Frost. I had a 1970 Bach 1C mouthpiece that I bought brand new, back in the day. At that time, of course, I had the throat drilled out to a 25, and I took a jackknife to the inside of the tip of the shank, to bevel it out. Sometime later in the 70's I sold the mouthpiece to one of my friends. He subsequently had the throat taken out to a 22. In the early 2000's, I bought the mouthpiece back from my friend, and just held onto it. By then, the shank was completely worn down to the brass, and the mouthpiece looked terrible. About in 2016, I heard of Matt Frost. I contacted him, and told him about this mouthpiece, and its sentimental value to me. He said he could fix it. I sent it to him, and he plugged the throat with brass, and re-drilled it to a 27 throat, and re-shaped it to its original contour. He also cut off part of the backbore, and welded a new piece of brass rod-stock on the mouthpiece, then re-did that to match the original-style backbore. He replated it, and sent the mouthpiece back to me. The mouthpiece looks like brand new and plays great! All of this was done with a quick turnaround, and at a reasonable cost. I cannot say enough good things about Matt Frost and his work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: