• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rite of Spring - Original Performers and their Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_587aaec

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Rite of Spring - Original Performers and their Trumpets Reply with quote

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this historical question, but it seemed the best to me. Does anyone know the original trumpeters who played the premiere of The Rite of Spring, or do we have any account from the musicians? My other question was: which trumpet would have been used for the performance? I know that Mahillon developed the Bb piccolo in the early 1900s, but it seems more likely that they would have used a D trumpet, or perhaps even F/G. Thoughts? I appreciate any answers! Thanks!

— Riley C.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The members of that original orchestra in 1913 are not known to me, and I know a great deal about this work, it's premiere and reception...

That said, this could be good fodder for a dissertation!

A few years ago, the centenary of the work's premiere was celebrated at The Proms, with a period-instrument performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq1q6u3mLSM

You'll see an early 20th century likely French D trumpet being used for the petite trompette part. The horn played in this video could be Mahillon (Belgian), Thibouville, Couesnon, Courtois, or otherwise. For what it's worth, that part sits GREAT on Eb, and OK on D. Many players are divided as to whether they prefer the Bb or A side on a modern piccolo - some switch mid-performance.

Do a quick search here, and you'll find a recent discussion regarding the 'piccolo' trumpet part.

Best,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
deleted_user_587aaec

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
The members of that original orchestra in 1913 are not known to me, and I know a great deal about this work, it's premiere and reception...

That said, this could be good fodder for a dissertation!

A few years ago, the centenary of the work's premiere was celebrated at The Proms, with a period-instrument performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq1q6u3mLSM

You'll see an early 20th century likely French D trumpet being used for the petite trompette part. The horn played in this video could be Mahillon (Belgian), Thibouville, Couesnon, Courtois, or otherwise. For what it's worth, that part sits GREAT on Eb, and OK on D. Many players are divided as to whether they prefer the Bb or A side on a modern piccolo - some switch mid-performance.

Best,
-DB

This video of the performance is too awesome! Thanks so much for sending it, definitely offers a different perspective on what they would have been experiencing during all the chaos. Can still only imagine what that performance would have sounded like on that day...

I also very much appreciate your comment on the equipment most likely being used during that time. I was also thinking it would have been a D trumpet, it's only too bad we don't have accounts of what the musicians were thinking.

-- Riley
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:

That was awesome . . and interesting. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
yctrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyamin played in the premiere of the piece. Pyotr Yakovlevich Lyamin was a student of Vassily Brandt, the ballerina solo from Petrushka was written for him as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: