• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Student Is Unable to Sustain s Good Lip Vibration

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NikolaTomic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have him try exactly what he is doing with the mouthpiece exactly where it is in this video, and then off to varying degrees to both the left and right of center. Please post that video. Prior to each attempt on his part, play a tone yourself that he can try to match.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try holding a piece of paper gently between the lips and blowing to get the paper to vibrate?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Video with Student on Mouthpiece and Cornet Reply with quote

tworx1957 wrote:
All suggestions are welcome. It would make such a difference in his life if we could help. Video is 43 seconds in length.

Is he playing the open horn on a Bb trumpet? If so, he's not going to get a decent sound buzzing below the pitch - he's not buzzing to get a low C. I would encourage him to blow with more gusto. Better too blatty than too wimpy - he's way on the wimpy side right now. As he gets more control he can learn to dial it back.

The same things have to be in place for him to play a note as for anyone else. I don't feel like there's enough engagement of the muscles and not enough pressure against his teeth, and I believe his teeth and mouth cavity should be more open. To more or less reproduce the sound he's getting I over-relax my lips, reduce the mp pressure, underblow, close my teeth and mouth a bit and buzz too low.

Experiment with the horn angle - I sense it's low, also again I would suggest him wetting the mouthpiece and his lips. Is there a reason you're having him stay dry? I've been playing for years and playing dry like that renders me virtually unable to function. The mp won't find the right spot, the tissue feels pinned in an unnatural, dysfunctional way and doesn't want to vibrate.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Student Is Unable to Sustain s Good Lip Vibration Reply with quote

tworx1957 wrote:
This little fella is probably one of the sweetest little boys I have ever worked with. I taught brass for 31 years and, as a trumpet player, I can’t remember any single instance when I was not able to see a youngster through this process. But I’m really stumped with this young fella.

I am missing something and it’s probably very obvious. Please take a look and give me any and all suggestions that come to mind.

Thank you for any contributions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/neuyck3qhkd8zzn/1080p.mov?dl=0
Try to get him to horse-flap his lips. His aperture is definitely too big if he can't get a buzz on the leadpipe. The coffee swizzle/straw idea is good too. I worked with a kid that was 5. He wanted to play my trumpet after church. He couldn't make anything but the woosh sound. I told him to practice "horseflappin" and we'd try again next week. It sounded funny, so being a boy he did it. Next week he played a note! He was elated and excited, then his brother wanted to do it. After a few weeks of "flappin" at home, they could both make a lot of sound. I gave them a cornet and the mom was eventually displeased because they played all the time. Dad eventually switched them to piano, but they both know they can "play" now.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's making sounds OK. He's over the biggest hump. Has he been stuck at this level for weeks? If not, it seems like things are going ok. Especially since he wants to improve. I don't see anything physically stopping him from progressing.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having listened to both videos, I want to ask why is he playing a trumpet (cornet)? His setting is SO loose as to be more of a tuba setup. Firmer lips, bit more air, and inhaling with energy, blowing out the same way.

Apart from that, you appear to give him nothing to emulate, no guide pitch, or playing example. This would make it hard for anyone! I also get a hint there are learning issues? This is important and I can’t make any sort of clear recommendation if not gully aware of the issues.

Lastly, he MUST remove the mouthpiece from his lips and do a full setup from zero to tone every time. Without working on developing a good setup, the issues will just keep on going...

Here’s

Andy

Last edited by Andy Del on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd first concentrate on teaching this student how he should properly form an embouchure with good lip tension, and how he needs to HOLD the mouthpiece against his lips with reasonable pressure.
Perhaps he believes that just a slight 'kiss' pressure is the goal. If he is very sensitive or adverse to physical pressure, that might be part of the trouble.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is our little friend doing these days?
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: