• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Building Endurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graysen Winters

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Building Endurance Reply with quote

Hi,I'm a middle school lead trumpet and I'm looking to build more endurance. Any tips? Thanks.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endurance has 2 main things that limit it.
1) Embouchure muscles getting fatigued, and not being able to produce the necessary contractions.
FIX is to force yourself to practice longer, doesn't have to be high or fast, just more time. But do stop when lip fatigue causes poor playing. Muscles get stronger during periods of REST. The exercise periods puts the muscles in the 'condition' for them to grow to compensate for the wear caused by the exercise.

2) Lip injury/pain caused by too much mouthpiece pressure.
Yes there must be some pressure, but the top lip must be free to vibrate. Use your lower teeth & lip to lessen the pressure on the upper lip - that might mean consciously moving the lower jaw forward so the upper and lower teeth are in more vertical alignment. Practice that with slow mid-range notes. See online mini-lesson from Trent Austin about alignment.
I think it's this one -

LINK

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound simplistic, but the best way to build endurance is practice every day.Study with a teacher,a local pro,church soloist,college trumpet major etc..

Best of luck,

Al
Tone Disciple

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
This may sound simplistic, but the best way to build endurance is practice every day.Study with a teacher,a local pro,church soloist,college trumpet major etc..

Best of luck,

Al

I agree with this. I would add that you should not make practice a chore, that is not to say there is anything wrong with discipline, just try to make it a more fun and easy task. If you think of it as something you have to do for a certain block of time every day you will often find yourself putting it off until, in many cases, you never get around to it at all.

I practice at commercial breaks on TV shows I am watching if. Have fun with it. Play random high scales. Make flash cards with notes/keys on each piece and draw them at random from the group and see if you can play a 2 then 3 octave major or minor scale properly in that key. This kind of easy and simple repetition will help solidify the keys in your memory, but you can apply this strategy to focus on your range and endurance as well. Repetition is a great way to learn and improve your ability, just keep it fun so you always look forward to doing it.

My $.02 anyway...
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pencil exercise.
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six notes exercise, Caruso. See forum on this site. Make sure you are not playing with too much tension.
Wick 2BFL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: