• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cold Sores?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohnecael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Cold Sores? Reply with quote

So i have a thing where if im stressed out or anxious over anything i will inevitably get a cold sore the next day, and as you all may know cold sores appear around the center of your lips. Im sure you all can see where this may be a problem.

Do any of you have the same issue? does anyone have a good treatment for it that will be quicker than Vit. E oil?

It really hinders my practicing and actually hurts sometimes to play with one so i have to skip out on playing for a day or multiple.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L-Lysine (dietary supplement from drug store) is often recommended for cold sore treatment.
I regularly take 1 500mg tablet a day as a preventative, and if I get a cold sore (rarely) I take several a day.
On last cold sore, I also used a 'healing skin lotion' applied with a Q-tip to prevent further skin cracking.

There are also over-the-counter specific cold sore remedies, and also via prescription. I haven't tried either. Their claims about the 'healing time' didn't seem much shorter that the usual 'several days'.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
robrtx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an over the counter product called "Abreva" that will shorten or prevent the outbreak of a cold sore if you use it at the first sign of a cold sore starting.

Bb: Schilke
Flglhn: Adams F1
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robrtx wrote:
There is an over the counter product called "Abreva" that will shorten or prevent the outbreak of a cold sore if you use it at the first sign of a cold sore starting.

Even though I use abreva, I am not sure it really shortens the healing time. There really is no way to tell on an individual basis.

Here is an article that includes prescription medication available.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
L-Lysine (dietary supplement from drug store) is often recommended for cold sore treatment.
I regularly take 1 500mg tablet a day as a preventative, and if I get a cold sore (rarely) I take several a day.
On last cold sore, I also used a 'healing skin lotion' applied with a Q-tip to prevent further skin cracking.

There are also over-the-counter specific cold sore remedies, and also via prescription. I haven't tried either. Their claims about the 'healing time' didn't seem much shorter that the usual 'several days'.

Jay

This. At the first inkling of a cold sore, I bomb my system with L-Lysine. There is also a lip balm called Herpecin-L that is good for external application.

This stuff
Kimberly
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a prescription for Zovirax (Acyclovir) ointment and get good results from the Zovirax if I start applying it as soon as I feel a cold sore coming on - that tingling feeling 5-10 hours before the blister forms. I carry it with me in my purse, because the couple hours it would take me to get home would be the difference between stopping the blisters or not.

If I catch it early enough and apply Zovirax regularly the blisters never form. I continue to have that tingling feeling for about as long as a cold sore would have lasted but the blisters never form, the skin remains intact and I can continue to play normally. Once the blisters form, Zovirax ointment doesn't seem to provide much more benefit than some of the over the counter creams.

I also start taking Valacyclovir tablets (by prescription) as soon as I get a hint of a cold sore. I take a double dose to start and then every 6 hrs. for 3 or 4 days.

I've tried Denavr cream (prescription). It claims to heal cold sores a couple days faster than Zovirax but for me, it didn't stop the development of the cold sore blisters like Zovirax does so I don't use it.

Best,
Kimberly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: