• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

In Search of A Method

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude Gordon's method (which is a combination of how Herbert L. Clarke, Louis Maggio, Arban, St Jacome, Gatti, Ernest Williams, Charles Colin, Earl Irons, and the other Greats taught) gave me a career.

Before finding out about Claude, using his books (and the many classic trumpet books he and his method assign) and eventually studying with him I was a typical player with embouchure trouble, endurance issues, and a range stuck around High C for years. Learning from Claude what to practice, how to practice and when to practice (and when to rest) allowed me to develop the ability to work as a full time professional trumpet player for more than 30 years.

Here's an article I wrote nearly 20 years ago about my time studying with Claude and the results of that studying (and practicing):

https://www.purtle.com/how-i-became-a-student-of-claude-gordon-by-john-mohan

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
the_zigzagger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been said, but it really can't be said enough: put your energy into finding a good, local teacher to take lessons from regularly. There is no book, method, internet forum, mouthpiece (Lord, the endless mouthpiece discussions ) that will get you to where you say you want to go faster, more efficiently -- and it should be said, more enjoyably -- than a good teacher.

For sure they are easier to find in bigger markets but they exist where you are, you may need to work harder to find the right one but he/she is there and finding them is worth the effort. Pro tip: find a couple and take a lesson or two with each and see who you connect with best.

I was in a similar situation as you a little over a year ago, looking for a teacher. I found a handful of the best players in town, sent them emails through their websites, and got various responses and recommendations that eventually lead me to the genius that is Chad McCullough. Over the past year, he's given me approaches/exercises from Caruso, Stamp, Burns and others, filtered through his own deep experience (he studied with Vizzutti, among others) to essentially create a custom "method" that is best *for me*.

My 2 cents, but I think that's what you want: someone who can get to know your strengths and weaknesses and help you progress in the ways you want/need.

One more unsolicited piece of advice, but judging from the nature of your post, I'm guessing you are ripe for the endless/nonsensical mouthpiece shenanigans many of the folks on this forum are so found of. Save yourself the hassle and contact Chad through his website. He's an AR Resonance rep. He'll give you a free consultation, and send you some test rims and backbores so you can dial-in your setup (another Pro tip: when you test the pieces have someone around so you can not only judge by how it feels/plays but get some feedback from someone in the room on how you sound from the business end of the horn) ... or, better yet, drive up to Chicago and make a day of it: hit the art museum, get a good meal, do the mouthpiece thing with Chad (he makes hella good coffee).

Don't waste a bunch of time and money, buying and selling and handwringing. It doesn't have to be as complicated as folks around here would lead you to believe. I believe there are other mouthpiece makers that offer a similar service if AR doesn't excite you ... though in my, obviously biased, opinion it should.

All that said, best of luck. It's all there if you want it bad enough ... less time on the internets and more time with a teacher and practicing will serve you best.

ZZ
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
http://www.jimmanleymusic.com/

This guy is in St. Louis and he is the real deal. Check him out.

I did - Wow! Some serious chops right here in my home town. I went through the all of his youtube stuff as well. Maybe he'll take on an old-timer like me. His views on the breathing very similar to videos from Wayne Bergeron & James Morrison. When I was a kid, they just said breathe through your diaphragm, which never resonated with me at the time.

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_zigzagger wrote:
It's been said, but it really can't be said enough: put your energy into finding a good, local teacher to take lessons from regularly. There is no book, method, internet forum, mouthpiece (Lord, the endless mouthpiece discussions ) that will get you to where you say you want to go faster, more efficiently -- and it should be said, more enjoyably -- than a good teacher.

For sure they are easier to find in bigger markets but they exist where you are, you may need to work harder to find the right one but he/she is there and finding them is worth the effort. Pro tip: find a couple and take a lesson or two with each and see who you connect with best.

I was in a similar situation as you a little over a year ago, looking for a teacher. I found a handful of the best players in town, sent them emails through their websites, and got various responses and recommendations that eventually lead me to the genius that is Chad McCullough. Over the past year, he's given me approaches/exercises from Caruso, Stamp, Burns and others, filtered through his own deep experience (he studied with Vizzutti, among others) to essentially create a custom "method" that is best *for me*.

My 2 cents, but I think that's what you want: someone who can get to know your strengths and weaknesses and help you progress in the ways you want/need.

One more unsolicited piece of advice, but judging from the nature of your post, I'm guessing you are ripe for the endless/nonsensical mouthpiece shenanigans many of the folks on this forum are so found of. Save yourself the hassle and contact Chad through his website. He's an AR Resonance rep.

ZZ

You have me pegged. On my 2nd MPC already. My daughter lives in Chicago, I just may do that and be done with it.

50 year layoff
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: In Search of A Method Reply with quote

Appreciate all of the input, encouragement and ideas - Although some different method suggestions, I see some old and somewhat familiar themes running through them;

Get good teaching
Practice diligently and methodically
Don't over do it - rest as necessary
Be Patient - Results will come- Trust the process

Lastly, get off the internet and get going!!!!

So, signing off "In Search of a Method"

Thanks
GaryF

50 year layoff
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of A Method Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:

If I were approaching the horn in the manner you seem to be, my choice would be a few dozen outings (skype) with LaBarbera of Florida. Some of the reviews of him are in the 'five star' range for a few lessons, which is rather sparse for study.

There are other teachers, but very few can touch him in as many areas.
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of A Method Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
50YrComeback wrote:

If I were approaching the horn in the manner you seem to be, my choice would be a few dozen outings (skype) with LaBarbera of Florida. Some of the reviews of him are in the 'five star' range for a few lessons, which is rather sparse for study.

There are other teachers, but very few can touch him in as many areas.
Thanks - I did a quick search - & he's just recently had an accident - w GoFundMe, etc. - I have a local guy lined up - Don Manley of STL

50 year layoff
tampa49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a comeback player after a 30 year break, now playing the last 15 years, I have had several teachers, which were good, but I agree with BEAR30101 .
I have realized the most benefit from using the Greg Spence Mastery to Mystery series, helped with sound, embouchure and stamina. The other thing that helped immensely was using the Stamp method on a daily basis. I recently spent a week in Los Angeles with Malcolm McNab, and he is a big proponent of The Stamp Method. He claims it helped him be the success he is. Lastly find a couple of groups to play with, this will help with the motivation.
Good luck, Play every day, but rest as much as you play.
Lawler C7
Lawler Model T in C
Yamaha 732 Bb
Bach Stradivarius 72*
Benge Resno 5 Flugelhorn
Couesnon Flugelhorn
Member Bugles Across America
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tampa49 wrote:
I am a comeback player after a 30 year break, now playing the last 15 years, I have had several teachers, which were good, but I agree with BEAR30101 .
I have realized the most benefit from using the Greg Spence Mastery to Mystery series, helped with sound, embouchure and stamina. The other thing that helped immensely was using the Stamp method on a daily basis. I recently spent a week in Los Angeles with Malcolm McNab, and he is a big proponent of The Stamp Method. He claims it helped him be the success he is. Lastly find a couple of groups to play with, this will help with the motivation.
Good luck, Play every day, but rest as much as you play.

Thanks - I have lesson scheduled with BEAR30101's recommendation Don Manley and will pick his brain.

50 year layoff
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
The Allen Vizzutti Series would be a good choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Vizzutti-Trumpet-Method-Technical/dp/0739019414?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

While I don't consider these a structured method per se, I did get a lot of mileage out of the Vizzutti series before I found my way to private lessons. Since then I'm a much bigger fan of the Stamp method, though it really benefits from the guidance of a familiar teacher.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: In Search of A Method Reply with quote

FYI - I used the name Don Manley a couple of times in this thread. It's actually Jim Manley. Had first lesson with him and will be working on his approach, which is not the conventional method book. Once I get a few months out, I'll be able to judge the results but I've bought in and excited. He's a phenomenal player with enormous range. Very personable and really spends the time explaining basics of producing quality sound out of this crazy instrument. I see some guys on demonstrating range techniques and the notes sound like a mixture of spit and air. Jim's are crystal clear with great musicality. So, its Jim Manley http://www.jimmanleymusic.com/

50 year layoff
grune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of A Method Reply with quote

[quote="50YrComeback"]Which Method ā€“ I want to pick a method and run with it ā€“
More info; I played 9 years from 3rd grade and just got burned out. I was an above average high school trumpet player, first chair and all that jazz. After a 50 year break (Iā€™m 67), .................

Frankly, a former, true pro would not be asking how to "comeback": s/he would know and have the materials in her/his library. You say you stopped after high school, which says it all. Your best "method" is to find a competent teacher.
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - FYI - I was never a "true pro", just an above average high school player and I have never kept much of anything for 50 years, particularly old music methods or a trumpet for that matter. I also agree on the teaching suggestion which I have taken care of. Have been back 4 months now and progressing quite nicely.

50 year layoff
rthomas8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

checkout "The Comeback Trumpet Player" by Mark Hendricks. Great warm up and info then workouts in all keys.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you end up going with? If you still have yet to decide, I think some of the best out there for starting out (I am only listing methods that I own/have used):

Flexibility:

Embouchure Builder - Lowell Little
Irons 27 Groups

Technical Studies

Clarke Technical Studies
Vizzutti book 2
Scale Force - Rich Willey
Know Your Trumpet - Lowell Little

Etudes

Any by Sigmund Herring
Getchell books 1 and 2

All in one

Arban (Vizzutti version)
Franquin Method
Mitchell on Trumpet
Systematic Approach to Daily Practice (if you do it right you will need 5 other books)
Bill Knevitt Trumpet Course (same as above)
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been my experience that a really good teacher, one that you can gel with, is very difficult to find. My first teacher was perfect. He had a BA in Trumpet performance and a Masters in Music Education. I learn a lot from him. But I eventually moved out of the area. Found another teacher when I got resettled, but after just two lessons, I came down with a medical issue that required a big surgery and a lot of recovery time. So, that was the end of trumpet lessons for a while. Now, I'm wanting to get connected with another trumpet teacher, but can't find one where I live now. I tried the teacher who is connected with the symphony, but we didn't gel. He literally talked too much -- burned-up too much lesson time on frivolity. So, I just practice on my own with Arbans and various Fake Books and sheet music and YouTubes. I listen to a lot of music as well.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HornnOOb wrote:
It's been my experience that a really good teacher, one that you can gel with, is very difficult to find. My first teacher was perfect. He had a BA in Trumpet performance and a Masters in Music Education. I learn a lot from him. But I eventually moved out of the area. Found another teacher when I got resettled, but after just two lessons, I came down with a medical issue that required a big surgery and a lot of recovery time. So, that was the end of trumpet lessons for a while. Now, I'm wanting to get connected with another trumpet teacher, but can't find one where I live now. I tried the teacher who is connected with the symphony, but we didn't gel. He literally talked too much -- burned-up too much lesson time on frivolity. So, I just practice on my own with Arbans and various Fake Books and sheet music and YouTubes. I listen to a lot of music as well.

I'm now 80 and have been back 14 years after 50 off. I've tried a lot of different "method books", had a teacher for a short time, and finally realized that my choice of tone, as my #1 priority worked best for me. For exercises, lip slurs, via Schlossberg, seem to keep my chops up adequately. The Wedge has been kind and helpful to my embouchure. I only play for personal enjoyment, at church, and in a local brass ensemble. I don't want playing to be a cause of stress. Luckily I have found the horns that I like so I've been done with equipment/mouthpiece safari for many years. I don't practice everyday, but I do realize that I should. I do have some health issues that I try not to let affect my playing. We all just have to work playing in with the rest of our lives and be realistic about it. It may take some time, with trial and error, to find the "balance" point though.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am self taught and have been for 49 years. I have used:

Herbert L. Clarke Technical Studies
Herbert L. Clarke Setting Up Drills
Herbert L. Clarke Characteristic Studies
Schlossberg's Daily Drills
Arban's
Modern Flexibilities For Brass by Scott Belck
Charles Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities
The Maggio System For Brass
Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach (and every book that goes with it)
as well as others over the years.

Cincinnati Pro Matt Anklan introduced me to the teachings of Bill Adam so I bought the following book sometime ago and love it ! It has actual Bill Adam Routines in it as used by Jerry Hey, Larry Hall, and Charley Davis and is authored by Charley Davis. The 3 trumpet players mentioned are all three prominent Los Angeles Studio Players.

http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/brass-studies/tribute-to-william-adam-davis

This book is laid out in lessons which include Clarke's Technical Studies exercises, Schlossberg's exercises, long tones, scales in various modes etc. It's a great daily workout which I play every other day in conjunction with The Maggio System For Brass. Switching these two off every other day has been a great routine for me and usually takes an hour to 90 minutes to complete.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
kozzicomma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of A Method Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:
Maybe I am expecting too much too quick but I just want a good plan and then I will trust the plan.

I haven't read all of the responses in this thread, so bear with me if I mention anything that may have been mentioned a hundred times. However, I started a come-back in earnest just about a year ago (will be exactly one year on October 30, 2019). I didn't take nearly the time off the horn you have, so I would expect my experience to be less "painful" than yours, but still relatable. #1 thing: PATIENCE! literally above all else, you MUST be patient. You are not going to achieve success in a hurry, that's for damn sure. Not only that, but you may achieve some success only to see it fade away or just disappear completely the next day only to return a few weeks or months later. It has been a very frustrating experience for me this past year, but I've come so far which has made it very rewarding as well. But what exactly is patience? Well, for me, patience means not beating myself or my chops up, expecting to make up for lost time. All this will do is set you back. As my teacher says "at the end of the day, leave yourself wanting to come back for more". So if, for example, range is something you're working on and you're finally passing a previous threshold, High C for example, don't beat your chops up playing beyond High C for hours. Stop. Keep in mind what everything felt like and leave it for your next day's practice routine. Put the horn down, write down your thoughts about how it felt and listen back to your recording of yourself (you should be recording by the way). Honestly, you're doing yourself way more good by thinking and/or writing about how it felt to play up there than you would blasting out Cs, Ds, Ebs, etc. for an hour or two. #2: get a teacher you can trust and stay with them. I know you said you have one, but just reiterating this as it is very important. #3: set goals for yourself, both long and short term. If you're like me, you may not really have a long term goal clearly defined, other than "I want to be the best I can be". I think that's a good goal, either way. But set some very short term goals and make sure your practice sessions are geared toward that end. In my case, I know what i'm striving for each day and week on the horn. I have clear goals set for myself and I know if i'm moving toward achievement of those goals or not. Maybe a method gets you to your goals (and maybe they would help me too), but my routines use a lot of material across many different methods, so I can't speak to a specific method. This, i believe, is a better conversation to have with your teacher. and finally #4: be honest with yourself. As this is turning into a long post, i won't elaborate, but this should be self explanatory.

My come-back has been rewarding overall. I'm very happy with where I am currently and I know that i still have a long way to go (and that's a wonderful thing). I have been depressed, sad, frustrated, angry, etc. etc. But I have been ecstatic, overjoyed, beside myself at times as well. As my wife says "you're on a roller coaster". I am, because I really care. It sounds like you do too. Just don't give up. Concentrate on your goals. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher questions, and above all else be patient! You're going to need the patience of a Zen master! Good luck to you on your journey! We're all rooting for you!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, could you please use some paragraphs? Sure would be easier to read. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: