• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

help with Jupiter XO serial numbers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRgroove

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: help with Jupiter XO serial numbers Reply with quote

Anyone know how the Jupiter XO serial numbers work? I'm looking at a Jupiter XO 1646 flugelhorn. The serial number is WAxxxxx.

Sorry if this has been brought up before. I tried the search but was lost.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, but am not sure, that the serial number system is the same as the rest of the Jupiter line (thus far I have not been able to find a contradiction to that, but...)

KHS originally used one digit for each year, and that was a system of +1 to the number and you got the last digit of the year built. In 1999, that digit changed to "A" and started moving down the alphabet at one per year. However, I have recently come across a couple XO horns that do not seem to align with this, as they were older than the serial number implied. This is another such case as "W" would be 2020 at one per year. I also know that "P" was in use in 2012 (which should theoretically have been 2014). So, if they are now 2 digits ahead, the "W" could be 2018, or drawing a linear progression, maybe they are now 3 ahead and it is a 2017.

More data points are needed. Perhaps those with known dates of manufacture or purchase could contribute the dates and first digits to this thread?

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JRgroove

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with an authorized Jupiter dealer. They didn't know how the XO serial numbers worked. I sent an email to XO directly. I look forward to their response.
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRgroove wrote:
I spoke with an authorized Jupiter dealer. They didn't know how the XO serial numbers worked. I sent an email to XO directly. I look forward to their response.

Did you ever get a response to this? They've been out for a while and it's hard to date their horns otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: