• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anybody using a Bach 2C ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Anybody using a Bach 2C ? Reply with quote

Requesting opinions on the Bach 2C.
sound, comfort, etc?
how it compares to 1.5C and 3C ?
thanks.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the 2-series Bach mouthpieces are a bit extreme -- they all have an aggressive undercut ("low alpha angle," or "straight drop down into the cup") and a large cup volume. They probably won't rate very high on the "comfort" popular vote in the general trumpet population.

But if one of them works for you, that's all that matters. I happily played a 2.5C for years, until a big band asked me to play lead.

But that's me. My high school band director had serious lead chops (and could do a wicked Harry James impersonation) on a 2C.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree, not a very comfortable feel. A sharper rim than either a Bach 3C or 1.5C.
I will admit I like the sound - I recall playing one brass quintet gig with it, loving the sound and clarity, just unusually sore afterwards and had difficulty the following day(s). Put the 2C in a box and haven't used it since except for comparisons with students.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play the Curry 2 rims - a little different than Bach, but not much. Went to them to have more cup options and consistency.

To me the rim is my favorite. I like the flat rims and the sharp inner edge. The rim reminds me of the no letter older Bach pieces - The older 1 and 3 pieces I have have very flat rims that are different from the C cup rims. A 3C rim eats may chops as does a 1C or 1 1/2 C.

To each their own. I have used them for years and love them. However, they don't seem to be what most people like. Even though it is what I play, none of my students use them. The rim is what they don't care for. and the C cup also seems a little deeper.

For that reason they seem to pop up used (particularly the Curry 2 series) and you can get one for a good price to try if you are patient. My experience (opinion) is the the Curry BC pieces have a little different rim. The 2 is no exception. Perhaps this is just my perception.

We are all different - hence so many pieces. No substitute for putting one on your chops.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a 2C but I have a VBC. 2.5C but I don't use it. It has a very dark, kinda airy sound. Definitely a unique mouthpiece. I like the way the rim feels but it's just at the point where it gets uncomfortable from being too large. Personally the sound is too dark for me though.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my dark and possibly evil past I played both a 2C and 2 1/2C.

The 2 1/2C was a fluke that I ended up with in high school and managed to make work rather well, from my at the time ignorant, memory. It was shortened to fit my Selmer radial by a few mm and, of all things, I put it into a King 600 trumpet case I sold to a student decades ago. That trumpet AND mouthpiece came back to me recently in the hands of another student!

The 2C I played on for maybe 7 years. It was, I admit altered, with a Tottle rim profile, slightly altered cup bottom and a Schmidt backbore. Worked well for as long as the new plating lasted. (Then I moved along and ended up where I am now...)

I suspect both are not in the easy to play basket, but both seemed to give a good result. Possibly due to the advantages of a dimming memory, time and good old nostalga!

cheers

Andy
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend (RIP) who used to sub with NYP. He said that Vince Penzarella played a 2C and my friend did as well. I had one in the shop that I used for testing and I really liked it.
S Koons
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience seems pretty typical. I used a 2C in my college orchestra. I wanted a bigger mouthpiece than my 7C, and knew nothing about the complications of the Bach catalog. A 1.5C seemed too big, so I bought the 2C. My tone improved. Orchestra didn't demand extreme range or endurance, so I was happy.

When I returned to playing after a long gap, the 2C still sounded good, but my endurance was very poor. It just wasn't comfortable. Needing all the help I could get, I settled first on a Yamaha 14C4, then a Curry 3C.

-SK
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 2C for a while and thought of the cup as somewhere between a 5C and 5B. The rim diameter seems more compatible with a Bach 5. It’s a good mouthpiece for an orchestral player. A little too deep for all around playing.
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a bach 2C for a couple of weeks recently. Sound and response were great but suddenly my chops seemed to start fighting the rim and I reluctantly put it away and went back to the Yamaha 16C4GP I had been playing before I switched and haven't looked back. Kind of wish the 2C had worked for the sound and zip it seemed to have but I figured we were incompatible.
Wick 2BFL
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played on a 2C for a long time. I stopped because I went bigger but, maybe I should have stayed with it. I don't remember any problems with a sharper rim.
I still have it and mess around with it. It's just a little too small for me.
grune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANY THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS !
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new Bach 2c a few years ago. Not bad, but it did not feel as good as my Bach 3c's and a couple good ACB 3c copies to me, so it is languishing in it's original box in my mp locker.

I do, however, have a Kanstul-made copy of a Mt. Vernon 2 (no "c") that is a great piece that I use a lot. I think that the Bach MV 2 must be so rare that it was made from Unobtanium...I have NEVER seen one in person or for sale anywhere. Must be a Holy Grail to mouthpiece collectors.
ammonshea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Bach MV 2C. The first horn I bought came with a 2C, and, not knowing that it was an odd size, I just started off playing it, and found it worked well for me. That mouthpiece was an early Elkhart, and somewhat damaged, so I bought a Mount Vernon, which I find similar, but nicer.
(I also play on a Mount Vernon 2, no letter, and yes, they are hard to find. The only reason I got one was that I found one that was included with a Bundy trumpet on EBay, but wasn't listed in the description. Paid $35 for the trumpet and mouthpiece.)
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So every iteration of the 2 line has been mentioned except for the 2-3/4C. I had one briefly on a safari and remembered liking the sound very much. Lots of color, and the mouthpiece comparator shows it as being VERY bowl shaped. More so even than a 1C, 2C, and 2-1/2C. Makes me wonder what some of these cups with one's preferred rim could do..

Well off to spend more money now

PS, I knew a gentleman who used a no letter 2 for soprano cornet and sounded absolutely DYNAMITE.
grune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
In my dark and possibly evil past I played both a 2C and 2 1/2C.

The 2 1/2C was a fluke that I ended up with in high school and managed to make work rather well, from my at the time ignorant, memory. It was shortened to fit my Selmer radial by a few mm and, of all things, I put it into a King 600 trumpet case I sold to a student decades ago. That trumpet AND mouthpiece came back to me recently in the hands of another student!

The 2C I played on for maybe 7 years. It was, I admit altered, with a Tottle rim profile, slightly altered cup bottom and a Schmidt backbore. Worked well for as long as the new plating lasted. (Then I moved along and ended up where I am now...)

I suspect both are not in the easy to play basket, but both seemed to give a good result. Possibly due to the advantages of a dimming memory, time and good old nostalga!

cheers

Andy

great story!
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kanstul BMV 2C with B24 backbore and it works great on my C trumpet. The top staff G is in tune. Every other mouthpiece I try on that horn plays way sharp on the G. I got this mouthpiece as part of a set of mouthpieces on eBay years ago. It also has nice colorful sound with lots of focus. The rim on this copy isn't as sharp as the Bach 2C which I also have and like but I prefer the Kanstul. I hope Kanstul is up and running again I'd like to buy a back up.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in around 1980 I fell asleep I think with the jazz radio station on and had a dream to get a 2C, so the next day I rode my bike to the shop and bought one. Just in time for the Youth Orchestra concerts, I nailed my parts and even the conductor had some compliments for me. I used the 2c from junior high school through to college then even Berklee where I switched to a Tottle. Over the years I've basically downsized to mouthpieces with more like a Bach 10 1/2C size. I guess the 2c spent a few decades as a paper weight on my mother's desk before I found it a few years back and tried it on a whim and it sounded good. Last year I had it replated and they did a great job. I have another 2C that's totally different and i think probably more like the "real" 2C, i.e. deep cup, round, thin rim. Like a small 1C. My restored 2C has a flatter, more supportive rim and seems a tad shallower. Now that it's been restored in new silver it's maybe a little smaller in I.D. I love it. Big sound and easy to nail notes. It allows me to move air but sounds good with the compression technique too.
My range with it is just the same as my Callet SC3 or Bob Reeves 40M.
Knight17

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Bach 2c Reply with quote

I am a graduating high school senior, i needed my own intermediate mouthpiece so i bought a 2C. I used a school Jupiter 3c and tried many at the shop. We all listened as I played and agreed that I have the most clarity on a Bach 2c. My articulations were on point and my dynamics could contrast more.The only problem I had( I knew that I would have it before I bought it anyways) is that my range would go down.After a couple of months of playing on it, my range is back. I regularly play up by the high Es and Fs now.I have noticed it can get hard anywhere passed a high D but if you warm up on a 2c and then switch to a kelly screamer or bach 3e, your range goes up by a full step.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bach 2c Reply with quote

Knight17 wrote:
..... i needed my own intermediate mouthpiece so i bought a 2C....

Stop this!.. There are NO beginner, intermediate, nor professional trumpet mouthpiece! They are mouthpieces - designed well or poorly, manufatured well or poorly, large to small, shallow to deep, etc.

Only basing this on what you wrote, I think I would have guided you toward the 3C neighborhood (Bach or other brands), then told you not to switch back and forth. Get a good fit and good overall sound, then stick with that mouthpiece until you are very solid in your fundamentals and chop stability (for most of us, college or beyond. IMO a very, very low percentage of H.S. aged players are truly ready or need extreme mouthpieces "screamers"-will inevitably delay your growth or incourage bad habits that will take time and effort to overcome)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: