• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Besson prototype tuning slide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcjweller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Besson prototype tuning slide Reply with quote

Good day

I've got an early 1900's Besson Prototype cornet that is "high pitch" to about A=457hz. All slides have sufficient pull to tune to A=440hz. Aside from the main tuning slide, there is a secondary slide before the leadpipe enters the 3rd valve. It seems odd to have a second slide here until I recently realized that it had a purpose.

I've realized (looking at some pristine original examples) that when new this cornet would have come equipped with two of these slides. A shorter one for 457hz, and a longer one that would (in combination with pulling the 1st and 3rd slides out) bring it to A=440hz without messing around with the main tuning slide or using a longer mouthpiece "bit".

The lower pitch slide is identical to the higher pitch except it has female sleeves about 1 inch long, ahead of the male sleeves that slide into the horn.

Question - where would one find older slides and parts for these cornets? These were once as common as bread and butter in the UK up until just a few decades ago, possibly there are still many laying about. Does anyone here have, or know who may have, various original parts that could be either used or reconditioned for use? I want to find a correct low-pitch slide. Thanks!!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/42hh467pnoyn308/PitchSlide1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oegq94na6638ud6/PitchSlide2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqimul6v668nsw4/PitchSlide3.jpg?dl=0
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1890 Besson has the two slides you reference, plus a longer A bit and a C leadpipe that has a tuning bit, is shorter, and bypasses the main tuning slide. A lot of stuff!

mcjweller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale, that is a lot of stuff!

The low pitch slide is there in your picture with everything laid out. If you wouldn't mind, could you measure the outer sleeves? I want to get an idea of just how much longer it is.

I may have to get something made up if nobody has any ideas of where to find parts. But I have to believe what I need is laying around somewhere, probably in a closet forgotten about!
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can measure it tomorrow night for you.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For comparison, the outer sleeve on the short slide is 1/4" long. The outer sleeve on the long slide is 1-5/16" long. I believe the top and bottom inner slide legs are slightly different diameters (at least on my Besson), so if you decide to have a slide fabricated and yours is the same, make sure the tech knows this.
mcjweller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale, thanks for this.

Yes the top and bottom inner tubes are different diameters on mine also. Just enough to be a pain.

So, this is good information. I've got the radius of the existing slide as a pattern and we just need to add length.

Surprised nobody else has chimed into where parts may be found, or better yet, gone to look in their closets to see if they have one and want to make a few bucks! Here's hoping...
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am wondering .."why" how many times to you play in "A" let alone a lower or higher one. I have had horns cut down to get a 466 Bb vs 460 Probably easiest to get a horn guy do it or switch to a short shenk mp..gets you about 5+HZ
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Landress knows Besson cornets extremely well, and can make whatever you might need, and it will be done right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: