• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Possibilities

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mr. Flores is rapidly becoming my new favorite classical trumpet soloist. Here he does the Haydn on a Stomvi Titan Eb 4-valve trumpet---but he does the second movement on a 4-valve Eb cornet and the third movement on a 3-valve Eb, probably for the brighter sound to match the playfulness of that movement.

Link

1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For these instruments it looks like price difference is 800 USD for the same Titan with 4 vs 3 valves. A proportional increase in manufacturing cost maybe?
grune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
I've played quite a few Stomvi trumpets over the years, from the very early models up to contemporary models.

What you say LSO-lad, is what I also think. they are, to the person behind the horn, a much brighter sounding instrument. I cl;early remember the local agent telling me how much darker and vocal the Eb/D master model was, compared to Schilke E3L... so we did a taste test and, we BOTH agreed, the Stomvi was brighter and to a large degree, harsher. Most of the Mahler, Titanium etc models feel much the same to me behind the horn. All these recordings, for whatever reason, sound quite live and bright to me as well - not the sort of broader singing approach I take.

The one thing I do strongly feel is that the Classica model is a dog. Without getting into an all out panning of it, I tell all my students to not go near them, as I cannot in all honesty make any positive comments about it. It has caused a lot of grief due to build quality and pitch: having them pushed so hard by dealers makes life less fun than it should be.

cheers

Andy

Having heard and sampled a Titan [live], I am uber impressed. Excellent horns. True, overall, the Stomvi's seem to be a brighter sound to say a Bach Strad, but slightly. [Europeans seem to prefer a brighter sound for all instruments: pianos, strings, brass]. But harsh they are not. Harshness is from the trumpeter skill and choice of mouthpiece.
Trompette111

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your artists are top! You get Rubén Simeo and you have maybe best trumpet section in world!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: