• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Difference Between Cup Sizes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wadey_W

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Difference Between Cup Sizes? Reply with quote

I started playing five years ago on a 3c, now im on a 1 1/2c. I use the 3c for marching, and can feel the difference between them.

Im wondering what a good jazz mouthpiece is and one that will help with a darker tone?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference Between Cup Sizes? Reply with quote

Wadey_W wrote:
I started playing five years ago on a 3c, now im on a 1 1/2c. I use the 3c for marching, and can feel the difference between them.

Im wondering what a good jazz mouthpiece is and one that will help with a darker tone?

What style of jazz? I assume since we’re using the somewhat subjective term “dark”, you mean small combo jazz? And darker than 1 1/2 C?

Brad
Wadey_W

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big band jazz.

Specifically a solo in mack the knife.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are a couple separate issues here... first of all mouthpiece choice-this is a slippery slope and a very personal things. In part is chosen for how it fits our face (dental structure etc.) and helps us maintain the sound we are striving for. A Bach 3C tendancy is to be shallower than a 1.5 C and is, in general, a bit brighter tone color than the 1.5C.. many players play on pieces in this neighborhood. IMO stay on the 3C for marching band /jazz band. Nothing wrong with either, I'd expect that the 3C is a better choice for this.. and the 1.5C for concert band, etc. But I'm NOT a fan of swithcing back and forth, especially if you're a young player (pre-collegiate skill level)
This would be where a reputable teacher could assist in deterimining if you should look for a new piece or just hit the shed with a plan.

Then with the solo, I'd suggest you focus on what you're going to "say" in the solo, not which mouthiece will work best for that small part of your performance.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are succeeding on the 3C and 1.5C I wouldn't think you'd need anything different. And introducing a third mouthpiece into your regular playing sounds like a bad idea. Jazz doesn't require any particular mouthpiece. Either of your existing pieces will be fine.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jascobeck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the Martin mouthpieces both for my trombone and trumpet help me produce a very sweet mellow tone. I play the trumpet #10 and trombone #1. I dig them both. The #10 is a small cup and throat. It takes the bite off producing a mellow tone for me at low and medium volume yet skips to high register with little effort.
King Master cornet '58
King marching baritone 1130 '70s
Wadey_W

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all some good ideas, thanks.

When it comes to mouthpieces, i know they all sound different based on the player, and obviously on their own as well, but i never understood how it worked. Like for example, does a Bach 3c have a shallow cup? A “dark” sound? How do you figure out these specifications?

Wadey
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wadey_W wrote:
Those are all some good ideas, thanks.

When it comes to mouthpieces, i know they all sound different based on the player, and obviously on their own as well, but i never understood how it worked. Like for example, does a Bach 3c have a shallow cup? A “dark” sound? How do you figure out these specifications?

Wadey

Here's a place to start understanding the basics.
https://www.bachbrass.com/application/files/4614/8521/7763/AV2BA901_Original_1889_web.pdf

If you want to compare a number of different makers and models look here.
http://kanstul.com/MPcompare/MouthpieceComparator.html
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, there is zero need to have a 'jazz' mouthpiece (or marching band, concert band, etc.)

Pick one, just ONE, mouthpiece and play on it. Put everything else in a drawer and leave them there. You wll be far better off if you do.

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: