• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Solo Fluancy, by Phillip Tauber, Genius or Insanity ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Solo Fluancy, by Phillip Tauber, Genius or Insanity ? Reply with quote

Has anyone else come across this book? I just don't know what to make of it. It's 800 pages between to the two volumes for heavens sake. I stumbled across it on the web. Page after page of exercises. Anybody ever use this resource ?

regards

tom
atrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know doublehighcman mentioned it on a post that I put up a couple weeks ago, 'Looking for a good licks book' (see page 2 as of 9.30.15), you might PM him and see what he thinks. I did briefly take a look at it, and read the intro and first few pages. Definitely looks like something to keep you busy for a while!!!

Mostly musicals and church gigs with the occasional jazz jam
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil's book is intersting and can be useful. But it's one of those things where you have to jump in feet first. I only have volume 1, as he left the band before I got vol 2, but it has some fun things. As always, what you get out if it depends entirely on you. I know some guys who have tried it and it didn't work for them.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest improv books by Rich Willey, who runs bebop publishing and is a banner advertiser here. He has works where you get accompaniments on mp3 and can control speed and key, so you have basically endless material, all for cheap. All geared towards good trumpet mechanics, too.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input guys,

It is such a vast collection of exercises, just gave it a glance really, but i can see it useful for a couple of things. mostly hearing notes presented in a slightly different manner and also is good for just plain old sight reading unfamiliar material.

anyway, i've added it too the library.

regards,

tom
atrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Link for book Reply with quote

Here's a link to the full book in case anyone needs it. Would love to have a printed copy, but as long as it is it would probably be expensive. Also, didn't realize this is the same guy that started the company Kashi!

http://dueduo.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Volume1March2009_guts.247155938.pdf

deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Link for book Reply with quote

atrumpeter wrote:
Here's a link to the full book in case anyone needs it. Would love to have a printed copy, but as long as it is it would probably be expensive. Also, didn't realize this is the same guy that started the company Kashi!

http://dueduo.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Volume1March2009_guts.247155938.pdf

that is interesting, they are my wife's favorite cereal brand, also the link you left is only to the first vol, there is also a vol 2 out there.

regards,

tom
atrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Link for book Reply with quote

Oh wow, you're right--holy smokes!!!

bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm familiar w/Kashi though never tried it and I didn't know Phil was a trumpeter until this:

Link

lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil is avery cool nice guy A local payer here isn san diego
The books are basically and exhaustive encyclopedia of jazz vocabulary written out over chords and then transposed to all keys. Kind of like a lot of other vocal books but most books don't actually transpose to all the keys. They have you do that in your head which could be better for you unless you are lazy or have trouble transposing

i have both books and like them
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worked out of those books with any sort of regularity, but I think they are wonderful if I'm looking to do something different for the day and want to shed some interesting patterns.

I sort of forgot that they existed, haven't opened them in about a year. I'll be getting back to these! There are lots of great ideas in those books!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: