• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Unwanted pedal note while playing in the lower register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topc7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Unwanted pedal note while playing in the lower register Reply with quote

Hi I have a C Trumpet Bb Trumpet and Bb Cornet
When I am doing practice after about 1 hour of playing I get unwanted pedal notes when playing from C5 down to C4 say A below c5 will break to a pedal note of no pitch just a burrrpp, and I need to adjust my lip placement. Then work hard to keep the note below the A from doing the same i.e. an 8th note chromatic run down . This usually happens after I have been swapping from one horn to another or changing mp sizes but not always It can happen the next day if I have swapped from my Bb trumpet to my C trumpet. I have just purchased the C trumpet 4 week back and have been working to get it ready. . Any help would be great
Bb Cornet
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Unwanted pedal note while playing in the lower register Reply with quote

topc7 wrote:
Hi I have a C Trumpet Bb Trumpet and Bb Cornet
When I am doing practice after about 1 hour of playing I get unwanted pedal notes when playing from C5 down to C4 say A below c5 will break to a pedal note of no pitch just a burrrpp, and I need to adjust my lip placement. Then work hard to keep the note below the A from doing the same i.e. an 8th note chromatic run down . This usually happens after I have been swapping from one horn to another or changing mp sizes but not always It can happen the next day if I have swapped from my Bb trumpet to my C trumpet. I have just purchased the C trumpet 4 week back and have been working to get it ready. . Any help would be great

I admire your dedication! Cool.

Sounds like just another classic case of over-training.
And yes there is a correlation between screwing around with equipment and mouthpieces. One of the most fascinating recorded examples of an unintentional "octave-voice" happens on Maynard's chart "Ole". Off the album "Maynard '61" yes it's an oldie but a goodie.

After a long, grueling cadenza into the stratosphere he glides "down" to "just" a high C. And as he sustains this C we also hear the same tone exactly an octave lower.!
But the principle is the same as your own octave buzz.

Maynard was working! Really pushing his own chops. The result was this unintentional octave. "Over-training" is the cause always.

The worst period I ever had with unwanted vibrations was back in high school. When the physical demands placed upon my chops (and emotions!) we the greatest I've ever endured. I doubled on Euphonium back then and needed to switch back and forth to high note trumpet playing "on the fly" often.

It was at this time when both my Trumpet and Euphonium started producing unwanted double buzzes. My director heard this as I played a tuning note. He then mindlessly accused me of "not practicing enough". Silly. No one in the band played or practiced as hard as I did back in the day. I had to practice! If only to maintain my doubling ability.

Instead my problem was the same as yours, Temporariiy Over-trained Chops".

So? Take a couple days off. Then lighten your playing load. At least until you rise up to the "next plateau". I wouldn't fool around with placing the mouthpiece differently if I were you. Not unless the condition doesn't improve much after your prescribed rest period.

"Plateaus" in trumpet development are one of the most intriguing concepts to me. Definitely worthy of their own topic. Although I don't think that they would generate much discussion. Except perhaps among the really dedicated types. Like you seem to be. Keep at it! You've got what it takes.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
topc7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lionel,
Yep! agree the Bb isn't as hard to push as the C and most of my practice work has been on the c and its a rotary so there are a few variations to the main theme.. as in playing it that is.
I have a rehearsal with the brass band tonight, Bb cornet and then I can go fishing for two days maybe 3..
I appreciate the help
All the best..
Bb Cornet
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topc7 wrote:
Thanks Lionel,
Yep! agree the Bb isn't as hard to push as the C and most of my practice work has been on the c and its a rotary so there are a few variations to the main theme.. as in playing it that is.
I have a rehearsal with the brass band tonight, Bb cornet and then I can go fishing for two days maybe 3..
I appreciate the help
All the best..

On the one hand over-trained chops are a sign of dedication. However our rest period is equally important as our exercise.

Also a developing trumpet player, which you seem to be has a concern which most the old timers don't have. And I hope to write this succinctly. One of my faults. Long posts! I realize it but can't always seem to avoid it. But here's what I mean.

An older trumpet player has two kinds of endurance.

A. The kind of shape which he's in because he's faithfully been playing most every day during the past 3 to 4 weeks. And,
B The long term relationship he's developed over perhaps the past twenty plus years. I am convinced that much if endurance is a "learned" matter. I've seen Lynn Nicholson post this too. Lynn doesn't practice much to stay in shape. Doesn't need to. As his embouchure and wind arr so well grooved that his chops work very efficiently.

The same was true for me prior to my accident last summer. While I only had a high G and not Lynn's triple C? Never the less my high G was reliable, well grooved and didn't required tons of practice. However now after my facial injury and while new chop system. I must take care not to over train again.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the over working comments, but I think there is more going on here. That is linked to your comments about working on different mouthpieces and instruments, which rally should not be a concern unless you are going about it in a less than effective way.

Send me a PM, I'm just down the road from you and know some good players in the your neck of the woods...

cheers

Andy
topc7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Unwanted Pedal notes Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Thank you.

PM on the way

All the best
Phil
Bb Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: