• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Performance anxiety

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibagoalie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Performance anxiety Reply with quote

I've always been nervous during a concert, but since I was one of 10 trumpets, it's never been a big deal. Now I'm taking a jazz ensemble class and am one of 4. Still not a big deal, but I am going to be playing a small solo on Flugelhorn (America the Beautiful - Curnow) for our concert. To add to the anxiety, it's last piece in the concert order and I'll be miked. Anyone have some advice? My normal way of dealing with things like public speaking is to pause and take a sip of water...don't think that will work here. BTW, I have expressed my concern to the Instructor, but since it's a class, he feels that it's good to get out of one's comfort level and to not get so worried.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerves are good, that means you care. Expect the nerves and use that energy to focus. The bad side of nerves comes from a place of feeling judged, get away from that thought.

Prepare, prepare, prepare.. Then at the performance, realize that it is what it is.
Focus on making music! Remember, it's not about you, it's about the music. Sharing music with your fellow performers and the audience. We strive for "perfection" that's good for the practice room, but our goal is to create music. You won't create perfection, but you can create music.
Sing (practice this), as you're playing sing/hear the notes/music put in the right place as you're playing, before you play them- when you start thinking about something else - sing, hear the notes in the right place before you play them.

Then be ready physically: fed, hydrated, bathroomed, comfortble in your clothes, etc..

I find cold water is not a good choice for an onstage drink. Water with lemon, a mild tea, something with a little flavor avoiding overly sugary things, seems to help keep moisture going.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Know your part cold.
2. Try to recreate the performance situation. Can you practice with the mic so you're used to that?
3. Try playing the solo in uncomfortable and awkward situations. If your legs feel weak when you're nervous, try standing on something slightly unstable and playing your solo so you know how to manage that. If your heart races, try raising your heart rate before you play it so you learn how to manage that.
4. Find people to play for a lot.
5. It's ok to be nervous, work on managing it and using it to your advantage.
6. Visualize yourself giving a great performance.
7. Visualize yourself getting nervous and STILL giving a great performance.
8. Visualize yourself getting REALLY nervous and giving a great performance.
9. Visualize yourself totally calm and giving a great performance.
10. Slow down your thinking when you go to perform.
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a goalie? Soccer (football) or hockey? Ever been "lit up" BAD?

I'm an old hockey goalie. Not a very good one. 8-10 pucks in the net, and you feel humiliation and shame. Solos aren't nearly as bad. As Zaferis said, prepare, prepare, prepare and "...realize it is what it is. Focus on making music!".

Once I did that, playing became a lot more fun. Enjoy it!
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get hung up on perfection. Absolutely no one will care if you don't play exactly like you think you should in your head. Getting past that I've found to be very liberating.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ibagoalie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice everyone, thanks! I'm not so much worried about my own embarrassment, but making the rest of the band look band. Even as a hockey goalie, I hated letting my team down and it made me work really hard to get better. I will take all the comments to heart and practice, practice, practice!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be prepared for the general 'environment' for the concert.
How the group is arranged on the stage can have a dramatic effect on hearing other instruments and 'cue notes'.
Lighting can make see the director difficult due to glare, and also where the director is standing (on a raised podium is best). Also general illumination of sheet music will be different than in the rehearsal room. You might even want to have a cap ready in case the lighting is too much glare.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

Lighting can make see the director difficult due to glare, and also where the director is standing (on a raised podium is best). Also general illumination of sheet music will be different than in the rehearsal room. You might even want to have a cap ready in case the lighting is too much glare.

Jay

I'm also in the habit of having my own battery powered stand light in case of insufficient light or bad shadows. MightyBright HammerHead model is my go-to small and inexpensive light.
https://mightybright.com/collections/music-stand-lights
Anything less than the HammerHead model is marginally useful.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Håkan Hardenberger‘s advice (paraphrased): work hard and be diligent and demanding while you’re preparing during weeks (or longer) before the performance. But when it’s time to perform, let go of all that and just enjoy the music knowing that you’ve done your best to prepare.

Live performances usually aren’t perfect, but audience and performers can still enjoy the experience. Have fun!
Piccolo Stomvi
cary_phil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Don't get hung up on perfection. Absolutely no one will care if you don't play exactly like you think you should in your head. Getting past that I've found to be very liberating.

This...
dillondeanparker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to all the good advice above, the more you do it, the more familiar it is. The more familiar it is, the less scary it is.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance anxiety Reply with quote

ibagoalie wrote:
...I am going to be playing a small solo on Flugelhorn (America the Beautiful - Curnow) for our concert. To add to the anxiety, it's last piece in the concert order and I'll be miked. Anyone have some advice?

Don't view it as a solo -- it's not. You're the lead voice in a small ensemble. Bari and tenors, then tbns and more until you hand off the melody line to the lead tpt. Focus on leading and blending with the ensemble. Connect with the bari player on stage at the beginning so that your parts move together.

Don't read the music -- make the music.

-Denny
OldDrumCorpDude

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original post is a couple of months old. I am interested in knowing how it all worked out. Original poster - please let us know!
Trubicar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch interviews with dr. Don Greene and buy all of his books. He has a great exercises and really helped me.

And one more advice-don’t think that anyone is totally calm going on stage. Everyone has some adrenaline rush going on, the difference is just in dealing with it.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Performance Anxiety Reply with quote

This is as old as people singing or playing some kind of instrument. There are many great bits of advice here and they can all come in handy. Anxiety is part of the whole deal until you get used to performing solos or small group stuff. Do your due diligence and take a deep breath and "enjoy" the experience. Remember you are going to "play" the solo. So play just like a young child experiencing something for the first time. Zaferis and others have helpful hints that will help you even years from this first "solo" experience. It is meant to grow you and enrich you as a person, Good Luck and go with it.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
Try to recreate the performance situation.

Lots of good advice. This part, I believe, is worth repeating.

To get better at something, you have to practice. We learn music by practicing it. We learn how to perform the same way. If you want to get good at "performing", you have to practice "performing".

So put yourself in performance situations. As already suggested, try practicing your solo with a mic. Memorize the solo, so you're head isn't buried in the stand. Practice performing the solo in front of family/friends, in front of other members of the trumpet section, etc.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
picctpt33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trubicar wrote:
Watch interviews with dr. Don Greene and buy all of his books. He has a great exercises and really helped me.

And one more advice-don’t think that anyone is totally calm going on stage. Everyone has some adrenaline rush going on, the difference is just in dealing with it.

Don is truly a genius. His books have helped me tremendously
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: