• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breath Support Exercises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetmiles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Breath Support Exercises Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am recently out of abdominal surgery and am therefore fairly weak in the breath support department.

My questions are; any of you who have gone through this, what kinds of exercises helped you build your strength back?

Everyone else, what exercises do you use to improve your breath support? Any that aren't too taxing? Empty and blowing longer is a bit much at the moment.

Background: I mainly do Caruso, Schlossberg & Knevitt exercises. I'm in the final year of my bachelors at university (not ideal timing for an op I know!) so my playing is alright (not perfect) so I am really looking for help with breath support ideas. My teacher has been very helpful but having not been through anything similar himself it is hard for him to know/relate.

Miles
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Breath Support Exercises Reply with quote

trumpetmiles wrote:
Hi all,

I am recently out of abdominal surgery and am therefore fairly weak in the breath support department.

My questions are; any of you who have gone through this, what kinds of exercises helped you build your strength back?

Everyone else, what exercises do you use to improve your breath support? Any that aren't too taxing? Empty and blowing longer is a bit much at the moment.

Background: I mainly do Caruso, Schlossberg & Knevitt exercises. I'm in the final year of my bachelors at university (not ideal timing for an op I know!) so my playing is alright (not perfect) so I am really looking for help with breath support ideas. My teacher has been very helpful but having not been through anything similar himself it is hard for him to know/relate.

Miles

Be real careful with this idea miles, you can easily end up with a couple of hernias, if you try to change your normal routine because of a weak abdominal area. Just play your normal routine and you'll be fine in a short time. I would definitely stay away from the Gordon Breathing exercises unless your fit as they can really tax your blowing muscles. Play your normal routine and be very careful if you feel anything that you would equate as pain at all. Remember your trying to build up your blowing muscles and not tear them down and your compromised abdomen will let you know when you've done enough. Be patient, you'll be back in no time.

best of luck in your recovery.

tom
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the body, if you're in reasonbly good shape/condition, is capable (strong enough) to produce more than enough support to play the trumpet. It's really a matter of mechanics, coordination and posture-which allows you to make a beautiful sound.

After my hernia surgeries (3 in total), I found I had to be careful at first. It's very easy to overdo it before you're truly ready. Limit yourself to a repeatable session lengths 20-30 minutes, and slowly increase duration as your body accepts the work-pay attention.

Then I had some very important lessons with a singer, classically trained. Posture, standing tall with the chest forward and up - quintiscencial opera deva posture. Then during the inward breath, allowing the chest to expand, then maintaining that "posture" as you exhale (play the trumpet) which allows your body to work in an effective manner.
Watch the Brass Chats (podcast from Monster Oil) with Jim Pandolfi - explained much better than i can.
Then work that approach during sessions. Long tones, flow studies, Clarke studies - slow and soft playing, will teach your body how much support is needed.

Then if you're thinking about the muscles, you WILL overdo it! My example is from sports - If you're pitching in baseball, and working on your pitches, you don't/won't be talking about muscles and which ones to use - you WILL be speaking about form, balance and timing. If you focus on flexing a hamstring while you throw, it will not go well and you will eventurally lose quality or hurt yourself.

Walk, jog, swim, ride a bike, work out, etc.. get your body back in shape, we don't have to be athletes, but having your whole body working as it should, in balance, is important.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to your Dr/surgeon about what physical therapy is advised, and on what time schedule to assure proper healing.

When you can do aerobic exercise such as treadmill, elliptical, rower, etc., try those (your school might have equipment). I like the rowing machine. I use an intensity level that allows me to go a long time, and a tempo of around 25-30 per minute. I do a good inhale on each recovery, and a good exhale on each pull.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
trumpetmiles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice!

4 weeks in and I am as flexible as before. Range and endurance have obviously suffered but I have got enough to get by and it will come when it comes. Patience really is key.

Again, thank you all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: