• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brass vs. Silver Horns

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stutrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Brass vs. Silver horns Reply with quote

Having just returned from trying out a range of Bach Strads I thought I'd repeat what the store owner (and he's a pro player) told me.

You'll find more difference between any 2 or 3 Bachs of the same model than you will between silver or lacquer. This is due to them being handmade.

I tried different models (all silver plated) and there was a huge difference between reverse and non-reverse leadpipe models. I found the reverse leadpipe on ML37 and ML43 best. The 'London' model (non-reverse) will be good for orchestral work where a big sound is needed.

The advice he gave re silver plating included his view that any repairs or modifications looked better. I have a Schilke B1 which has only ever become a bit 'dull' if not polished for 2 years or so!!! I used to own a cheap Thomann flugelhorn which played well but tarnished badly very quickly.

So, silver plating quality varies a lot. Older UK cornets for example had thicker plating than a lot of modern trumpets. Viners (an old UK cutlery manufacturer in the north of the UK) now offers a plating service where the thickness is greater than some London based repairers. With Bach trumpets I wouldn't worry about tarnishing - the plating is good.

All trumpets whether lacquer or silver will suffer if you have 'acid' sweat - fortunately I don't. This also applies to 'red-rot' which can cause serious problems in the lead pipe/main tuning slide caused by acid saliva. The guy in the store advised that this can be avoided by regular cleaning - I remember that Satchmo (Louis Armstrong to you youngn's) always rinsed through his trumpet after EVERY performance.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Brass vs. Silver horns Reply with quote

Stutrumpet wrote:
...So, silver plating quality varies a lot. Older UK cornets for example had thicker plating than a lot of modern trumpets. Viners (an old UK cutlery manufacturer in the north of the UK) now offers a plating service where the thickness is greater than some London based repairers...

Zombie thread alert! But, I wanted to reply to this quoted thought. Yes, the old British silver plating is much thicker and more durable than plating is today. I have an 1890 Besson cornet with the original silver plating and there's not any noticeable wear on it. I can tell by the valves that it was played quite a bit, but the exterior of the cornet still looks new, almost 130 years after it was made.

adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you ever have a fire sale. Bet Raytheon plays great. Reminds me of a New York Wonder or Wonderphone. My last cornet ever will be one over these.

I have an 1899 Bosey Fuchs (Austria) that probably plays similar
grune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer silver. 45 years ago, the only brand that created the symphonic sound was the Bach, and the Silver Model 37 ML was in high demand: in fact, I was required to buy Bach, to join the pro orchestra. Fast forward to today though, we have now many brands making impressive, top-notch instruments. Myself, I would very carefully and extensively, over many weeks, trial all the brands to determine which brand and model were best for me; using open eyes, ears, and mind. I would not be surprised if the Bach was not my 1st choice.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the time of this thread, I've done a lot of in-depth listening to various horns with differing finishes, materials and designs. I've played them and listened, I've played them an enlisted others to listen and I've listened to others play them. What have I learned?

Retlaw is right! Walter Dirks is a TH member who is also a professional photojournalist. If you remember his posts, you might recognize his signature, which goes something like, "It's amazing how much we listen with our eyes."

Over and over again in this thread, posters have written that silver plated horns are brighter than lacquered horns. The one or two that cite comparisons and dates of manufacture refer to vintage or almost antique instruments, so they are referring to nitro-cellulose lacquer and I will agree with them. But, it just ain't so with today's synthetic finishes. Over and over and over again, I've compared clear finish and silver plated horns of the same design and time of manufacture and every time the clear finish sounds lighter than the silver plated horn, as far as the player is concerned. Out in front of the horn, no one is going to tell the difference without looking.

Material differences are also presented as making a difference. Rose or gold brass and copper are said to produce a more mellow sound. I will agree that the gold brass Yamaha trumpets I've played made a different (I'd call it "dead" ) sound than brass bells, but those were student horns and who knows what the real reason is... With the other horns it was not so clear cut.
It's true that brass produces the most dense core, but it's usually darker to my ears than coper. Gold brass (bronze, if you will) can have a very slight ragged harshness to it. Hand wrought copper has more mid-range overtones and so sounds lighter to me than brass.

So you know, the samples I'm citing are Kanstul 1500/1500-A; 1525 and a Kanstul 1525 with Cortois bracing and bronze bell; Kanstul 1025s in brass/silver and copper/ lacquer; Wild Thing MkI in silver and brass; WT MkII in brass/silver and copper/lacquer; WT flugelhorn in brass/silver, brass/lacquer, copper/lacquer and copper/raw. The raw copper flugelhorn produces the lightest timbre of all. The brass silver consistently gives the heaviest timbre. Every horn, every design, every time.

Even if I switch my brass/silver #1-J tuning slide with my one-of-a-kind copper/lacquer #1-J tuning slide, the result is consistent. The copper slide is lighter with more midrange overtones in the sound. The brass/silver slide gives a larger, darker and heavier timbre. I can hear it behind the bell, off the walls, in a recording and when someone else plays the horn.

Edit:
The only exception I can think of was two separate WT Shepherds Crook cornets a few years apart, one brass/silver and the other copper/lacquer. In this case, my memory tells me the copper horn was heavier and darker sounding. I might call it dull, except that it wasn't. The real gem was that particular brass/silver cornet I played a few years before. It was light, lithe and just the most amazing instrument I've ever played. Wish I'd been able to buy that one...

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Brass vs. Silver horns Reply with quote

Stutrumpet wrote:
The advice he gave re silver plating included his view that any repairs or modifications looked better. I have a Schilke B1 which has only ever become a bit 'dull' if not polished for 2 years or so!!! I used to own a cheap Thomann flugelhorn which played well but tarnished badly very quickly.

So, silver plating quality varies a lot. Older UK cornets for example had thicker plating than a lot of modern trumpets. Viners (an old UK cutlery manufacturer in the north of the UK) now offers a plating service where the thickness is greater than some London based repairers. With Bach trumpets I wouldn't worry about tarnishing - the plating is good.

This post seems to imply that the thickness of plating has an effect on how fast the silver tarnishes.

My understanding is that tarnish is the surface silver combining with sulfur. IMO, the thickness makes no difference in how susceptible the silver is to tarnish.

Since I am not an silversmith nor a metallurgist I did google to see if I could support or disprove my understanding and found nothing to support either.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Brass vs. Silver horns Reply with quote

Stutrumpet wrote:
Having just returned from trying out a range of Bach Strads I thought I'd repeat what the store owner (and he's a pro player) told me.

You'll find more difference between any 2 or 3 Bachs of the same model than you will between silver or lacquer. This is due to them being handmade.

Yep, zombie thread!šŸ˜Ž

ā€œHandmadeā€?? Not knocking Bach (Selmer) here, but I donā€™t know that a Bach is any more ā€œhandmadeā€ than the vast majority of modern mass produced instruments. I know someone who recently toured the factory, and they used that same reasoning for the discrepancies between horns, but I donā€™t really know if Bach horns vary much more than most mass produced instruments. They make a ton of horns, more numbers probably equalsl more variances. But ā€œhandmadeā€?
I doubt it.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brass vs. Silver horns Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Stutrumpet wrote:

Yep, zombie thread!šŸ˜Ž

ā€œHandmadeā€?? Not knocking Bach (Selmer) here, but I donā€™t know that a Bach is any more ā€œhandmadeā€ than the vast majority of modern mass produced instruments. I know someone who recently toured the factory, and they used that same reasoning for the discrepancies between horns, but I donā€™t really know if Bach horns vary much more than most mass produced instruments. They make a ton of horns, more numbers probably equals more variances. But ā€œhandmadeā€?
I doubt it.

Brad

Handmade, certainly. More than some others like Yamaha.

For me, handmade doesn't mean boutique. To me it means that parts are made by humans, not CNC machines.

However, it is still possible to build consistent instruments as other manufacturers seem to based on their reputations.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brass vs. Silver horns Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Stutrumpet wrote:

Yep, zombie thread!šŸ˜Ž

ā€œHandmadeā€?? Not knocking Bach (Selmer) here, but I donā€™t know that a Bach is any more ā€œhandmadeā€ than the vast majority of modern mass produced instruments. I know someone who recently toured the factory, and they used that same reasoning for the discrepancies between horns, but I donā€™t really know if Bach horns vary much more than most mass produced instruments. They make a ton of horns, more numbers probably equals more variances. But ā€œhandmadeā€?
I doubt it.

Brad

Handmade, certainly. More than some others like Yamaha.

For me, handmade doesn't mean boutique. To me it means that parts are made by humans, not CNC machines.

However, it is still possible to build consistent instruments as other manufacturers seem to based on their reputations.

Ok, probably so. When I hear ā€œhandmadeā€, I do think ā€œboutiqueā€, but youā€™re correct.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember debating ā€œhandmadeā€ Benges vs the Bachs built with ā€œautomationā€ back in the 70ā€™s. It didnā€™t make much sense to me back then.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I remember debating ā€œhandmadeā€ Benges vs the Bachs built with ā€œautomationā€ back in the 70ā€™s. It didnā€™t make much sense to me back then.

I think ā€œhandmadeā€ today is really more of a buzzword/marketing term, I donā€™t know that itā€™s all that relevant to quality in instruments or anything else. I guess itā€™s supposed to bring to mind an old world craftsman hunched over a work bench, painstakingly crafting a horn.
Or a saddle...firearm.....timepiece....whatever.

Kind of funny, there was a period in time when ā€œstore boughtā€ was supposed to imply higher quality.

Brad
grune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Brass vs. Silver Horns Reply with quote

trum500 wrote:
I am currently looking for a more professional trumpet. I have been hearing good things about Bach trumpets? I have also been wondering which is better Brass or Silver horns? Comments?

I wonder about the knowledge of some people. Silver is a "noble metal", ie very resistant to corrosion. "Wear" on a trumpet's metal is in fact corrosion. The only element to corrode silver is sulphur; example, hydrogen sulphide. I have never heard or seen any evidence suggesting any human chemistry can release any sulphurous compound via exhaling or perspiring. I have seen tarnished silver plated trumpets, but never corroded from human contact alone. The tarnish is an oxide that forms to protect the silver.

In olden days, the lacquer coatings were indeed "natural" lacquer, derived from plants. These might be used still. But I am told the top brands use a polymer coating, called a lacquer, but is a far more durable synthetic coating. Old lacquer would dissolve in chlorine, and chlorine is indeed contained in human sweat as salt. So, sweat did eat away olden lacquers: but today the story is much different.

I cannot say what the sound effects may be for the new clear-coatings. For silver, my ears detect a very slight increase in brightness over the clear coatings. I do prefer the cosmetics and durability of silver. My horn is now over 40 years old, and polishes to a pristine shine.

No lacquer coating ever lasted me more than 4 years. Raw brass is entirely out for the question for me: I know my sweat will begin eating away at the metal the moment I touch it, and result in serious corrosion quickly and discoloured skin, let alone risk of allergy.

I am told by techies, a damaged, clear-coated instrument is easier to repair than a silver coated one. Reason: clear-coatings may be stripped and newly reapplied to give a near-new finish. Silver often requires complete stripping and re-plating, which no normal repair shop can do, and which is by far more costly.

If a silver coating corrodes from human chemistry, I would say something is very wrong with the quality of that silver. I shall be very interested to be proven incorrect. Thanks.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something in my bodyā€™s chemistry ate through both the silver and underlying metal removing silver and creating pits that required filling before resilvering. Some people who donā€™t know better might call this tarnish, but it certainly is not.

I have always heard that the sweat in oneā€™s hands causes pitting, but never have heard why. After doing a little googling I found that in addition to sulphur, silver will also combine with chlorine producing AgCl. This appears to be a relatively common issue with silver salt shakers. Perhaps the salts in our sweat are causing it?

One other thought is that silver is seldom pure and perhaps the impurities are what is reacting.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the oddest stories I ever heard from Zig Kanstul was one he told me when I was working on the nano-coatings project about 6 years ago. We wanted to test our coating in the hands of someone who had corrosive body chemistry.

I told Zig what I wanted to do and he said, "Find a red-head!" I looked at him incredulously and asked, "Really?" Then, he told of a trumpet player from years ago that everyone called "Red." He had brilliant red hair and Zig said his hands were so corrosive that they would actually eat holes through the piston casings of a trumpet in two months!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
grune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Something in my bodyā€™s chemistry ate through both the silver and underlying metal removing silver and creating pits that required filling before resilvering. Some people who donā€™t know better might call this tarnish, but it certainly is not.

I have always heard that the sweat in oneā€™s hands causes pitting, but never have heard why. After doing a little googling I found that in addition to sulphur, silver will also combine with chlorine producing AgCl. This appears to be a relatively common issue with silver salt shakers. Perhaps the salts in our sweat are causing it?

One other thought is that silver is seldom pure and perhaps the impurities are what is reacting.

Interesting note. To react with NaCl [salt], the Ag [silver] would need to be ionised to a positive ionic charge, and the molecular bond of NaCl would need to be made unstable to release the Na - all impossible by human physical contact alone. Presumably, the Ag plating is stable, so a reaction with NaCl would be very unlikely by human contact alone. If a reaction does occur, imho the plating is less silver and more of something else, resulting in a reactive compound. Again, the plating is suspect.
Ortrouvere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the finish is more of an asthetic thing. The tone differences between the types of finishes are pretty nominal.

I've played many different horns; Adams, John Packer, Schagerl, Andreas Eastman, Bach, Conn. With different finishes and saw very subtle differences.

Silver, copper, satin, antique, plain unfinished, combinations. It's more up to what type/brand of horn you prefer and the mouthpiece you use.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything affects everything...there is a definite difference.
grune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ortrouvere wrote:
In my opinion the finish is more of an asthetic thing. The tone differences between the types of finishes are pretty nominal.

I've played many different horns; Adams, John Packer, Schagerl, Andreas Eastman, Bach, Conn. With different finishes and saw very subtle differences.

Silver, copper, satin, antique, plain unfinished, combinations. It's more up to what type/brand of horn you prefer and the mouthpiece you use.

agree. the sound diff' 'tween silver and clear coat is very slight and indiscernible to untrained ears. but different metals for tubing/bell do produce noticeably different sounds. with the advancements from today's tech, clear coats are becoming impervious to chemicals and offer many advantages over silver: no tarnish, aesthetic tints [gold], inert, repairable, equal sound, lower costs. silver plating may well fade away in popularity.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: brass vs. silver horns Reply with quote

I have owned 2 laquered trumpets, on nickle plated 36b, and two silver plated trumpets. For me the laquer was going to show signs of wear and knicking before the silver plated horns. Same with the nickel plating. After 11 years of hard use the Conn 36b had nickel that sort of flaked off. Not seriously but some. The laquered horns showed signs of wear and were only 2-3 years old. I don't think it would matter to me now what finish the horn had if I enjoyed playing it. Most of the horn manufacturers offer laquer, silver plate and some gold. I have had my best luck with silver and ease of care goes with that. As far as mass produced vs. hand made horns what does it really matter how much is individually vs. mass produced if the instrument has the sound and look of the breed? Bach makes magnificent horns, so does Yamaha. I recently was told by a Bach performing artist that Yamaha has the best quality control in the industry. That speaks for something. Bach horns overwhelmingly sound like BACH horns, that is why people love 'em. We ask questions that often have no definitive answer. It is part of human nature to want to know and to want what is best I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: