• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question about upgrading from student horn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that certain pro horns are easier to play. Easier to play quietly or loud with a satisfying quality of sound. Easier transition between partials through my playable range. More sound for less effort.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SarahK wrote:
Wow... grateful for your generous and exhaustive replies! Right now I'm playing on a Yamaha 2335 and am very happy with it, so I don't think I'll be upgrading for a while, unless that thing called "lust" (as jetjaguar mentioned) gets in the way!!!
It's interesting the price differences between different instruments - I played flute before I switched to trumpet, and upgrading from a Selmer to a Trevor James cost me €1700... Now THAT might get me a nice new horn...
I played with a very good player who played in his national orchestra. His sight reading was excellent. His tone, intonation and blending were nearly perfect. His horn was/is a Yamaha 2335. I was sorry to see him leave. Your 2335 will not hold you back for a long time, maybe never depending on where you want to go with trumpet.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: question about upgrading from a student trumpet Reply with quote

If you are taking lessons and your teacher mentions it, it is probably time to start looking for an upgrade. beyond intermediate horns the top pro line horns will be more flexible, have been to tighter tolerances and just about anything else you can imagine in performance and sounding better. I have played a Yamaha 2330, is it? that's student level and they are very good, but compared to a Xeno horn it is like night and day You will be able to push your own envelope more and grow more and faster with a better horn. Get ready to pay more money too, even if you find a good deal on a used professional trumpet. Most of all, enjoy the challenge and the growth you experience.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the student play a pro horn. If they sound noticeably better, buy the horn.

But if they don't, then get back in he practice room.

You can buy a Ferrari for gramma, but she's still going to drive like an old lady.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Have the student play a pro horn. If they sound noticeably better, buy the horn.

You can buy a Ferrari for gramma, but she's still going to drive like an old lady.

SO TRUE!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

Nice post, good statements. The last line wins the thread (at least so far).
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

Queue Jan and Dean and The Little Old Lady From Pasadena for the rejection.

Link
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'little old ladies' come in all age and gender !

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: question about upgrading from a student trumpet Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
If you are taking lessons and your teacher mentions it, it is probably time to start looking for an upgrade. beyond intermediate horns the top pro line horns will be more flexible, have been to tighter tolerances and just about anything else you can imagine in performance and sounding better. I have played a Yamaha 2330, is it? that's student level and they are very good, but compared to a Xeno horn it is like night and day You will be able to push your own envelope more and grow more and faster with a better horn. Get ready to pay more money too, even if you find a good deal on a used professional trumpet. Most of all, enjoy the challenge and the growth you experience.

Excellent advise, and I didn't realize the signature quote was from Irving Bush. I've seen it attributed to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: