• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case for either 2 trumpet or flugel/trumpet (bought Stomvi)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of newly-designed leather cases coming from Ciro Basili in the next few weeks. One is a textured brown leather with tan interior, and the other is smooth black leather with blue interior. It is to meet the basic airline carry-on size maximum of 9"x14"x22" and accommodate trumpet/flugel/picc or mutes. I am helping an older friend sell some new Lotus trumpets presently on order (well, one has been received and will be posted on TH in the next couple of days). The idea is to make these available to those wanting a case when they purchase a Lotus or if they just want to buy one of the cases. We are starting small and will just have to see where this goes. Yep, new stuff happening all around us!
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my Stomvi quad case today. I'll be keeping it. The case is clearly high quality and very protective if packed appropriately. The external foam is very dense compared to my reunion blues bag; it's very difficult to compress. To recap my original request, I was looking for a bag or case that I could easily use for an orchestral rehearsal (Bb/C/picc) one night and a jazz gig the next (Bb/Flugel). I find this case, lacking in any velcro, is exactly what I needed. I'll have to learn the best places to position the included foam blocks (and maybe fabricate some of my own).

The case sides are "shorter" than a trumpet but the lid is recessed so the horn/valves are not compressed. The two thicker pads on the lid do not contact the valves on either of my full-size horns.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere; there's a cutout in the padding both in the front and back, apparently for 2nd-valve slides.

The center divider is rigid and fixed in slots in the sides but the curved dividers are not attached to anything. Blocks or accessories will be required to secure an odd number of horns. (Here the piccolo is free to move side to side, pushing the divider if I don't secure it.)

The flugelhorn fits as advertised, though it's a bit loose as well. If I double up the divider (which also gives me a place to keep it) this particular flugel fits better.

And while the included pad is probably designed for a "long" picc like a Schilke, it works fine for mine too (again, presuming I add appropriate blocking to keep things from moving). In this case I feel the lid touching the highest part of the piccolo as I close it.

There's no way to get all the parts in the case even when empty. It shipped with the piccolo sleeve tucked under one of the outside pouches, which is a fine place for it.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
I received my Stomvi quad case today. I'll be keeping it. The case is clearly high quality and very protective if packed appropriately....

I bought an original Bags of Spain quad a couple of years ago from The Horn Guys; it is basically the same case. I haven't seen it on their website in recent months, though. Stomvi's version has some added personalization. I agree that it is an excellent case. The one I have has that shiny, black exterior, which looks good for awhile but shows scratches easily. I know I've got something around here that can get rid of the scratches, even if I use some of that product that removes scratches on a car. The one thing I do not like about it is the lack of velcro pads, since my B&S 4v E-flat ends up with depressed valves inside the case. I don't think that is a horrible thing, but I guess if the case endured a quick jolt in my car, then things could shift and do something wrong to the valves. I guess. Not sure. I did correspond with Bags of Spain (http://musical-bags.com), and they said that they'd had problems with the velcro pulling on the fabric, so they abandoned using it in their cases. I have even put a piccolo in that insert and used it in other cases. The case does work as a carry-on when flying, which is cool. I'm not sure if the thicker outer material that Stomvi uses would fit the 9”x14”x22” size…maybe? Regardless, they are great cases. Oh, and I use a lot of microfiber cloths (cheap from Sam's wholesale) for added padding where necessary.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Stomvi case for a couple rehearsals and have a few more (negative) comments:

1. The shoulder strap stinks. It's thin and slippery and uncomfortable. I replaced it with one from a Red Oxx bag. (Note I haven't tried out the backpack setup.)

2. When the case is partially unloaded, it is no longer "secure." I pulled out my Bb trumpet but didn't need my flugel right away for jazz band, but without the Bb in its spot, the flugel was loose. I definitely need to make up a few more pads.

3. There's no great "bottom" since both sides have an accessory bag. I imagine the bottom one (the one padded for use as a backpack) will get pretty dirty in short order. I wonder if I could add some adhesive feet on the corners of the bottom side.

I still am overall happy and I've listed my Reunion Blues triple on the marketplace.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: