• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To the Owner of TrumpetMaster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobylou8 wrote:
scottfsmith wrote:
It looks like the bill didnt get paid. Site is hosted on Digital Ocean and the ip is now showing up as un allocated. Or so it appears.

It's all rather murky. Who knows if this information is correct? The pageview chart shows it falling off the cliff so to speak. Will we ever know?

https://www.easycounter.com/report/trumpetmaster.com

The site is run through a CDN (content delivery network), Cloudflare - these help prevent DDOS attacks, cache data, etc. The "online" you are seeing in the link above is showing that Cloudflare itself is up. But Cloudflare can't contact the underlying machine at Digital Ocean which is why it gives that error page now. I looked up the underlying machine IP Cloudflare is likely trying to contact and it showed up as un-allocated on Digital Ocean which means it was dis-connected from a VM instance, either by non-payment, or the owner just shut it down.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowuk was a voice of logic there. I didn't always agree with him on certain points, but unlike many others, he was a real player and had considerable experience.
He told it as he saw it. There are guys here that do the same.
R. Tomasek
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Rowuk was a voice of logic there. I didn't always agree with him on certain points, but unlike many others, he was a real player and had considerable experience.
He told it as he saw it. There are guys here that do the same.
R. Tomasek

Rowuk definitely knew what he talked about. My only issue was that he sometimes appeared to shut down posters who refused to align with his positions.
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give BOTH you guys a like, but ++++1 will have to do. The new site is coming along nicely and all are invited to join. It's the easiest way to be a "doubler"!! Just curious, and if this is inappropriate, just ignore my request. What does it cost to run a web forum like TM?
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobylou8 wrote:
Just curious, and if this is inappropriate, just ignore my request. What does it cost to run a web forum like TM?

You can run the most basic version for $5 a month. Once you get more users and more data it can head up to $100 for a large busy site with many image uploads. Thats the cost, and if you then start running ads you can chip away at that. My guess is TH is making money, they can probably get $100/month for the banner ads and they don't host image uploads and the software is primitive so little CPU/memory is needed.
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:
Tobylou8 wrote:
Just curious, and if this is inappropriate, just ignore my request. What does it cost to run a web forum like TM?

You can run the most basic version for $5 a month. Once you get more users and more data it can head up to $100 for a large busy site with many image uploads. Thats the cost, and if you then start running ads you can chip away at that. My guess is TH is making money, they can probably get $100/month for the banner ads and they don't host image uploads and the software is primitive so little CPU/memory is needed.
Wow! That isn't lot imo. So I guess the info I found were TM had 24 employees and revenue in excess of 4.8 million was probably wrong.
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are working on a new site?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobylou8 wrote:
scottfsmith wrote:
Tobylou8 wrote:

Wow! That isn't lot imo. So I guess the info I found were TM had 24 employees and revenue in excess of 4.8 million was probably wrong.

You, of all people, should know that the numbers you found are incorrect. How could it be worth that much without a like button?
N1684T

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT was pretty damn funny Rusty;)

Someone mentioned a site that said my business was raking it in. Promptly told him he could have it for half my reported income;)

I don't recall; the numbers, but they were exaggerated by at least 100 times.
N1684T

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish i could have liked that;)
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Tobylou8 wrote:
scottfsmith wrote:
Tobylou8 wrote:

You, of all people, should know that the numbers you found are incorrect. How could it be worth that much without a like button?
We had a like button but lost our "reppies"/green little chiclets. It's TH that needs a like button and a couple more emoticons.
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N1684T wrote:
Wish i could have liked that;)
++++++100!!!!!
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
They are working on a new site?
A TM member started a new and different forum. https://www.trumpetboards.com/ 108 members so far. Some very good new features and very easy to use, especially when on your phone! It's head and shoulders above the old TM format (that had a "like" button)! And, it's free!! Who doesn't like free???
N1684T

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we are making plans for our first kegger-toga party. Its going to be EPIC!

We are the Frat guys after all;)
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N1684T wrote:
Yeah, we are making plans for our first kegger-toga party. Its going to be EPIC!

That's pretty funny. You spelled Fat wrong.
N1684T

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX_xgoo4IBM
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
N1684T wrote:

That's pretty funny. You spelled Fat wrong.
LittleRusty, you sound like "our kinds guy"!! Wanna be a pledge? Your initiation would be to catch all the spelling errors of Dr. GO. He burnt out his editor-in-chief years ago and thinks the red squiggly is his signature (he is a real doctor, so, you know....).
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a basic Digital Ocean droplet it will cost about $40/month+. That's really the cheapest way to acceptably operate a site like this. For TB that is what I use, but I also am a professional web developer so the tech is easy for me to setup and use. It would probably take quite a bit longer for somebody with less technical experience to start/keep it running.

The free/$5 a month tiers on any hosting site are not really an acceptable way to host a site. It's like the good ol' days of Geocities.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. I run several low-traffic sites off of a single $10/mo Linode. Its a full VM, just lacking in CPU/memory/storage. Only when the site traffic picks up do you need to pay more bucks. I agree on the free plans, also the $5/mo plans won't run some things very well.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:
Not really. I run several low-traffic sites off of a single $10/mo Linode. Its a full VM, just lacking in CPU/memory/storage. Only when the site traffic picks up do you need to pay more bucks. I agree on the free plans, also the $5/mo plans won't run some things very well.

Space and vCPU are generally what cost a lot. I chose lots of space, given that you can upload anything to my site (for the time being).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: