• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorns to Try at ITG

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Flugels and high D's Reply with quote

If you're playing Mangione stuff, save a bunch of dough and buy either a Getzen or Yamaha student model with the trumpet style valve blocks. I put the Getzen prototype together in the sixties and it's still in production. I had seen the Yamaha and thought Getzen might do the same with their existing valve sections and flugel bell and it works just fine for what you're doing. Mangione played a shallow mouthpiece which helped his playing in the upper register so go that direction as well.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Flugels and high D's Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
If you're playing Mangione stuff, save a bunch of dough and buy either a Getzen or Yamaha student model with the trumpet style valve blocks. I put the Getzen prototype together in the sixties and it's still in production. I had seen the Yamaha and thought Getzen might do the same with their existing valve sections and flugel bell and it works just fine for what you're doing. Mangione played a shallow mouthpiece which helped his playing in the upper register so go that direction as well.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

I played an old Yamaha YFH-231 for many years. It was a great instrument, extremely in tune. With a shallow mouthpiece that would indeed fit the bill - it's a relatively large .455 bore which can give you the room you need upstairs.
Hi-Note76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Flugels and high D's Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Thanks Tony. I assume that what your talking about are the horns that look like a trumpet with a flugelhorn bell?
Hi-Note76

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this up for Tony to see it.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony is talking about this:

http://www.getzen.com/flugel/capri/595.shtml

and this:

https://www.wwbw.com/Yamaha-YFH-2310-Series-Student-Bb-Flugelhorn-483645.wwbw

"Trumpet style valve blocks."
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
Tony is talking about this:
http://www.getzen.com/flugel/capri/595.shtml
and this:
https://www.wwbw.com/Yamaha-YFH-2310-Series-Student-Bb-Flugelhorn-483645.wwbw "Trumpet style valve blocks."

Or this with an ML (.460") bore: http://www.getzen.com/flugel/eterna/895.shtml Freddie Hubbard played this model.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...........Additionally, I coupled my flugel testing with different mouthpieces over the past several months and have finally discovered the Flip Oakes Extreme line. (I understand that Curry and othersmake similar models.) It is very deep cupped and with a large throat, but I can play the high Ds in "Feels So Good" with ease on it, and yet maintain the integrity of the deep core that I want............... Hope you find what you’re wanting!

Mark Curry makes the Flip Oaks mouthpieces to Flip's specs.
Trompette111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schagerl makes the best instruments I think! You must trial all the flugel horns by them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: