• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is meant by a closed or open embouchure?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the differences between a closed or open embouchure? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each type of setting? I'm not trying to open a can of worms but I've seen these terms used and was curious as to what they meant. I had never heard the terms when I was playing in high school.

johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "closed embouchure" is when before making a sound the player starts with the lips touching or almost touching and allows the air to open the aperture as necessary while playing. The "open embouchure" is when the player starts with the lips already apart. Most teachers seem to advocate the "closed" setting.

This was first brought to my attention when I studied with Mario Guarneri in the summer of 1995. He told me that after many years in the LA Phil he went to study with James Stamp who had him redo his embouchure to a closed setting. Lately I've been reading about this in Pops' books.

John Urness
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been covered before -- do a search to see if you can find it.

Basically, in my opinion (other's vary, big surprise ):

(1) Open: Start and/or play with a feeling of open airflow. At the start, air is (or, can be) blown through the aperture before sound starts. Some open players include George Graham and Lew Soloff. Some attribute a "bigger" sound to open players.

(2) Closed: Start with lips touching ("closed") so air blows them open when you begin to play. Better endurance and high range are attributed to a closed setting. Jerome Callet (Superchops) and Pops advocate a closed setting, among others.

My opinion: the lips vibrate together (touch) when playing no matter how you start. Good sound, endurance etc. can be obtained either way. Endurance may come more quickly starting with a closed setting, while getting full sound is easier initially with an open setting. If you use open, it's awfully easy to get toooo open and end up using pressure for high notes, which limits your top range (to high C or a little over, like high E, according to Pops -- and I tend to agree based upon personal experience).

That's my two-second overview. Gotta' get on the asbestos suit now for the barrage sure to follow. - Don
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How closed is YOUR version of closed?....

How open is YOUR version of open?....

How closed or open should YOU be for YOUR optimum efficiency?

How does that compare to any successful player?

click here to go to my aperture test....

http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC/aperture.html

THEN click here to go to my efficiency test....

http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC/efficiency.html

Not rocket science...but it MAY help ya!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: