• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taper/resistance of the Martin Committee #2 leadpipes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kubelik81

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Taper/resistance of the Martin Committee #2 leadpipes Reply with quote

Hello! I need help.
When I play with Committee # 2 I have great Taper / resistance when I get to C.
I normally use Giardinelli 3v / 6 # 25 (2 pieces), I also use 3vM # 26, 3c # 26, 3m # 24, 3s # 24, Holton Heim 2 (new), Vintage Heim Model V cup # 22, Zottola 24B ,. ..I have tried many combinations
Really the best response tone, in my opinion, is given by Giardinelli 3V # 25 but there is no way to be comfortable in register on C. I have the feeling of "plug" that prevents getting the notes on C.
The middle and low register is wonderful! It has a tone and beat that does not give the rest of my horns ... but I need to know how I can upload free.
The horn has been reviewed and touched by several friends. It has excellent compression. There are no leaks.

What I can do?
Thanks
50Martin Committee#2
56Olds Super
56Flugelhorn Martin Imperial#3
57Selmer Deposé 23A
58Bach Mercedes Mt Vernon
62Cornet Martin Committee#2
63Selmer k-Mod 24B Lightweight
69Flugelhorn Selmer K-Mod
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played one medium bore Committee for a few minutes on a couple of instances. I have played a #3 large bore Committee over a few weeks. I've been able to sample a bunch of trumpets over the past ten years.

What I have experienced is that, generally, medium bore designs have higher impedance than similar ML or Large bore designs. It takes less effort to get a full resonant tone, less effort to get the horn to "light up," This also translates into the high resistance you report in the upper register.

There are two ways to address the resistance: Learn to hold back, as you play up there, and/or open the throat of your mouthpiece. Holding back will require that you change the tactile habits you use to judge your playing now. Breathing and the use of your breath is probably the biggest factor.

Opening up the throat of your mouthpiece will lower the impedance level, overall. That means that you can alter the amount of energy it takes to reach the point where the horn shuts down. It will still shut down, but perhaps not as drastically. The downsides are that you will lose some of the ability to resonate at those lower dynamics (the whole reason for the medium bore) and you enter the rabbit hole of "How big do I go?"

Other remedies are a highly recommended blueprinting of your horn, tuning slides with a single radius, fewer braces, larger lead pipe venturies and, and, and...!

OOOOR, you can start a horn safari!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: