• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Solo Cornet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Solo Cornet
Bach 184
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Schilke XA1
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Stomvi Titan
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Getzen 3850
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Bach 181
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yamaha YCR-8335 (I or II)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Shires CN7A
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Schilke A1 - A2
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Adams Cornet
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

EricM224
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Solo Cornet? Reply with quote

Please weigh in! I'm in the market for a good solo cornet... and if I'm being completely honest, I'm not up to snuff on the best instruments out there. If I didn't list a particularly great model in the poll, please feel free to comment with the make and model.

Looking for a good solo Bb cornet, to record some cornet rep., if that helps

Thanks!!!
www.ericsiereveldmusic.com
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted, but one major choice you left out and should investigate is the Getzen 800 Eterna.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wild Thing short cornet is magnificent. Your poll, though, is asking a very subjective question, as folks are going to vote for what they have as I just did with my "write-in." You will benefit more from a trip to a store which has a good selection, and play testing a bunch.

I have a WT as mentioned above, which dictates my choice. Dale Proctor (here on TH) will probably recommend a LB Bach, as he loves his. Schilkes are very popular amongst pros who seek to double. There are many choices, but not a whole lot of folks playing cornet rep these days. You WILL find lots of cornets in British Brass Bands, where B&H Sovereigns have traditionally predominated, but in the US cornet popularity is struggling.

I prefer playing cornet in small combos/small clubs, as it's less strident and more listener friendly.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Solo cornet Reply with quote

Hello all,
I play my XA1 with a Warburton 5D or 5XD cup. Beautiful sound surrounded by the Schilke qualities.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Solo Cornet? Reply with quote

EricM224 wrote:
to record some cornet

Under this circumstance the horn itself probably won't make as much difference as the way in which it's recorded... (room/mic/preamp/mouthpiece) and how it's manipulated after the fact with EQ and whatnot.

I'd vote for using the horn that you have the most fun playing or whichever cornet you have or can borrow. Maybe you can hit up some cornet friends and borrow a few different horns then see which you like best during 'playback'?
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith and Watkins. I have played most brands and this Cornet is the best for players of both Cornet and Trumpet. It makes a true brass band sound.
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

York Eminence. Although these Cornets are no longer in production they are wonderful instruments if you can get hold of one.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am biased (duh) but as much as I like the 3850 the Edwards X-7 is currently our best playing cornet.
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam, is a description of your Edwards X-7 Cornet listed on your website?
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
Hi Adam, is a description of your Edwards X-7 Cornet listed on your website?

Huh. It isn’t. Admittedly the horn hasn’t technically launched yet (even though it has been to serveral shows) but I thought we had it up.

I’ll have to get some pictures and specs up. Think X-13 in efficiency but with a cornet timber and tone.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
York Eminence. Although these Cornets are no longer in production they are wonderful instruments if you can get hold of one.

Totally agree. It was the best cornet I had found comparing to Bach, Getzen and a bunch of others. I sold my motorcycle to buy it. Yup. No more two wheel madness for me. Just a cool silver cornet. Gotta love a trigger on the main tuning slide. I could say you'll never get it until you pry it from my cold, dead fingers. But no. I would sell it. I would cry a bit. I might regret it later. Having second thoughts already.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
I voted, but one major choice you left out and should investigate is the Getzen 800 Eterna.

Exactly...
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith-Watkins and Yamaha Neo should be considered too.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Solo Cornet Reply with quote

I would forward the Getzen 800 Eterna as a favorite, because I have only spent a few minutes with a Getzen 3850. The Eterna is my favorite cornet-cornet. I have played the Schilke A1, too, and loved it, but being a long cornet it projects a little more and is probably less cornet like than some of those on your list. It's an interesting question, though.Everyone will have their favorite.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Solo Cornet? Reply with quote

EricM224 wrote:
Please weigh in! I'm in the market for a good solo cornet... and if I'm being completely honest, I'm not up to snuff on the best instruments out there. If I didn't list a particularly great model in the poll, please feel free to comment with the make and model.

Looking for a good solo Bb cornet, to record some cornet rep., if that helps

Thanks!!!

Hi EricM224

When you say you are looking for a good solo Bb cornet, to record some cornet rep., I presume that you mean solo as in a cornet on which to play solos rather than a cornet for front row brass band cornet playing. I thought that I'd clarify this issue, as as you no doubt know, the front row cornet part in a brass band is named Solo Cornet.

Going with what I think you mean, what sort of accompaniment are you having, piano, organ, a brass band, orchestra, unaccompanied etc?

Regarding cornet solos, if you are not already familiar with him, I'd recommend checking out Philip McCann's The World's Most Beautiful Melodies CDs. A slightly unusual cornet tone in my opinion, but again in my opinion, wonderful evenness throughout the registers, great accuracy and a very nice and appropriate sense of style.

Also, what are you thinking of recording? Ballads, technical repertoire etc.

My personal choice would be my Yamaha Xeno cornet (mine has the yellow brass bell), and I'd personally go for a ballad. I find the Xeno to be a wonderfully expressive cornet with great flexibility. For my taste, the Besson Sovereign and Prestige have too secure slotting.

If I was thinking of playing something more traditional with a quieter accompaniment, Love's Sweet Old Song comes to mind, I might even use my old Boosey and Hawkes Imperial. This cornet, again in my opinion, just doesn't have the dynamic range for modern brass band cornet playing, but I do feel that it has a lovely sweet cornet sound.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
trumpetguy27
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a solo cornet I can think of nothing better than a Del Quadro Picasso Cornet. I have played them several times and Mike is currently building me mine... I. CANNOT. WAIT!

Mike's horns are really nice, with solid copper bells that are super versatile, and Getzen/Edwards valves... and Mike is an AWESOME dude to deal with.

dqscustomshop.com

Just my two cents!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we are waiting for the OP to define what he means by cornet "rep." To me it means the Characteristic Studies in Arban and the like, originally played on cornet since the trumpet was then considered an instrument of the devil. This would include The Carnival of Venice and other exhibition pieces, as played by soloists such as Herbert L. Clarke and Walter B. Rogers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: