• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo Mouthpiece Choice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stutrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Piccolo Mouthpiece Choice Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Looking for something to replace the standard cornet receiver mouthpiece that came years ago with my Stomvi picc. This is a 7C. I used to have a Schilke 14A4X (and also think I trine an 11AX) but found it very restrictive. Sold off most of my gear when I retired and just kept the picc and my Schilke B1 on which I use a Schilke 16 for all types of playing.

All (affordable!) suggestions welcome

thanks,

Stu
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: piccolo mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hello,
I had an 11BX made after thinking my 11AX was too shallow. I ended up with a Warburton 6S, which is still pretty shallow, but it gives me a lot of support if the musics range is up to an F. If I only have to go up to a D on the A side, I will choose a 5M or 5MC just to warm up the sound.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two standards and a good starting point for piccolo mouthpieces: Bach 7E(W) and 7D(W). The W rims are wider and help those that use larger sized mouthpieces. The cups are shallow but not extremely so, more like medium-shallow. I've used a Bach 7EW for a while and the sound is good but I found it to be somewhat ineffecient.

Next I would recommend trying a Curry P cup in your typical diameter or maybe a size or two smaller. To me they feel pretty much the same as a Bach 7EW with a slightly shallower cup that is more C shaped. The sound isn't really better or worse, just different. I find it a little easier to play.

What I ended up with is a Stork Studio Master SP6. It's pretty much a Bach 5 rim with a shallow C shaped, flat bottom cup. For me, the biggest need from a piccolo mouthpiece is effeciency and clarity of articulation and this one takes the cake (so far). I doubt this model will work with folks who have signifigant lip intrusion.

All of these have a definite bite or edge (lower alpha angle) which I find important for clarity.

Of course, you need to try these things yourself. Mouthpiece Express offers trials.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: