• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute Repairs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Mute Repairs Reply with quote

Hello all,

after recorking a lyric mute according to TrumCor's instructions, I have decided to be brave and try to take on a few others. My biggest question is where can I get some different cork options, like for a harmon or brands other than TrumCor? Or do I have to bite the bullet, head to my craft store and just create my own corks?
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find some tailored mute corks on music stores or ebay, but you have to way the cost/benefit and your own craftiness. I've fixed two straight mutes using craft cork, but I didn't exactly do a professional job. I've also seen folk here recommended other materials for harmon-style wah-wah mutes, which are infamously prone to falling out.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
This is my advise to all players who use a harmon; run, don't walk, to your nearest craft store and buy some sheets of Funky Foam. It's a sheet of 1/8" dense foam with a self-stick adhesive back, available in a variety of colors. I usually use brown or black. Then download the harmon mute cork template found here:

http://redwingmusicrepair.org/pdf/Harmonwowwowmutecorktemplate.pdf

The foam is very forgiving and can be applied over the existing cork. It makes for a very secure fit. I have never had a harmon slip after using this.

Additionally, you can use Funky Foam to adjust the fitment of mutes in larger belled horns. One of my Bbs is a Xeno 20th Anniversary with the larger bell. I can put a layer or two of foam as needed to fine-tune my mute collection without permanently changing the corks.

HTH

Ben

I redid my old harmon using Ben's advice and templet from the 'Harmon mute falling out' thread and it came out great! Has a much more 'stealth' look now too!

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150031
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funky Foam is pretty cheap, available at most hobby places, grips well, and is easy to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: