• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The most inspiring hour of my life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: The most inspiring hour of my life Reply with quote

It was 1998.  I had just finished up my undergraduate degree and was trying to figure out why I still had fundamental issues with the trumpet.
I had countless friends who went on and on about what Indiana University Professor John Rommel had done for their playing, so I gave him a call. That first hour I had with him was the most inspirational hour of my trumpet career.  

In this lesson he had the courage to tell me I was fundamentally playing the trumpet incorrectly, that there was an easier way, and then proceeded to tell me how it could be fixed. 

Fast forward to the summer of 2018.  I purchased a 2000 Lincoln Town Car station wagon (don't ask) that had a tape deck.  So I went into my garage and the first tape I pulled out of an old box (full of maybe 200 tapes) was THIS lesson.  So....this was meant to be.

I called Professor Rommel and asked him if he'd be ok with us releasing it as a Brass Chat.  He said sure (mostly).  So I spent a fair amount of time cleaning up the sound quality which was pretty bad.  And I must say the tape is as inspirational today as it was then.  

Thankfully for you, I don't do much playing in the lesson.  He talks most of the time, and the info is applicable to pretty much anybody who plays, not just me.  

Don't worry, this isn't a substitute for a proper brass chat with Mr. Rommel, but we thought you might find it interesting.  We plan on releasing in a week or so.  

Love,

Tom

Coupon Code 'Rommel Horse' until the end of April over at monsteroil.net gets you 9.8% off all orders.
www.BrassChats.com
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to hear it.
ed
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
dillondeanparker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it!
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: The most inspiring hour of my life Reply with quote

Monster Oil wrote:
It was 1998.  I had just finished up my undergraduate degree and was trying to figure out why I still had fundamental issues with the trumpet.
I had countless friends who went on and on about what Indiana University Professor John Rommel had done for their playing, so I gave him a call. That first hour I had with him was the most inspirational hour of my trumpet career.  

In this lesson he had the courage to tell me I was fundamentally playing the trumpet incorrectly, that there was an easier way, and then proceeded to tell me how it could be fixed. 

Fast forward to the summer of 2018.  I purchased a 2000 Lincoln Town Car station wagon (don't ask) that had a tape deck.  So I went into my garage and the first tape I pulled out of an old box (full of maybe 200 tapes) was THIS lesson.  So....this was meant to be.

I called Professor Rommel and asked him if he'd be ok with us releasing it as a Brass Chat.  He said sure (mostly).  So I spent a fair amount of time cleaning up the sound quality which was pretty bad.  And I must say the tape is as inspirational today as it was then.  

Thankfully for you, I don't do much playing in the lesson.  He talks most of the time, and the info is applicable to pretty much anybody who plays, not just me.  

Don't worry, this isn't a substitute for a proper brass chat with Mr. Rommel, but we thought you might find it interesting.  We plan on releasing in a week or so.  

Love,

Tom

Coupon Code 'Rommel Horse' until the end of April over at monsteroil.net gets you 9.8% off all orders.

Cool, can't wait to hear it ! whenever i read stories like this i think back to my college days (early 80's) and get that, "I could'a ben'a contenda!" feeling if i had a teacher that would have addressed my playing issues when i brought them up. Poor range, endurance issues, etc, instead i received the "you have a great sound, those things will come with practice", they never did and i quit after 3 years and learned computers instead. Oh well, water under the bridge as they say. Fast forward 25 years and thanks to places like TH and great advice from some great pro players i was able to figure it out for myself. I'm still not a "contenda", but
thats ok, I can do things now i just couldn't do in college and i don't have to play for hours a day to make it work.

love you monster guys and your great products !!

regards,

tom
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's live!

And here's the email I received from Prof. Rommel:

I finally found some time late last night to listen to the link you sent. An hour is a long time! It certainly brings back a lot of memories…hard to believe it’s over 20 years ago!

First of all, I need to apologize for talking so long in your first lesson. I still get carried away when I’m talking about concepts to new students and have a bad habit of talking way too much. Unfortunately, that recording brought it home 1,000 times over. Too much talking about the same thing. I’d like to think I do things more succinctly now, but am afraid I’ve not progressed in that area enough.

My teaching has changed in some ways over the years, but most of it is still the same basic concepts. There are a couple of things I say in there that I kind of cringe at, as I’m not sure they are completely accurate. However, the balance of everything is okay with me…other than too much talking and not enough getting you to actually develop the concepts through playing.

With all that being said, I’m fine if you want to post it. I’ll let the chips fall where they may.

Hope you enjoy this!

Best,

Tom
www.BrassChats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: