• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Another "Lead" MPC Search...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Another "Lead" MPC Search... Reply with quote

Hey gang,

So before diving in, a bit of background about myself: I'm classically trained, having received a Masters from a very good music school, blah blah blah. Short version is that I'm a classical nerd that's managed to fake my way into playing a lot of broadway stuff in town. I'm currently looking to find a mouthpiece that will help me take on a very long run of West Side Story this summer, without sacrificing my tone and aperture.
I typically play on a modified Bach 1 1/4C for my warm-ups, daily playing, etc. For my heavier gigs, I'll play on a GR 65.6M. I recently bought a Stork LDS4 hoping that it'll make life a tad easier, but I found it really stuffy (which I was disappointed to find seeing as how it was advertised as very free-blowing). The really odd part is that the Stork feels smaller than the GR, though the GR - on paper - is smaller than the Stork. I'm not much of an equipment junkie, so I'm not sure why that is, but all that to say I'm still looking.
So I'd like something slightly shallower than my 65.6M, but that isn't super restrictive. Reading all these things on "lead" mouthpieces about having a tighter backbores concerns me a bit, but maybe I'm just approaching it wrong. In any case, I'm open to any and all suggestions, a recent post has sparked my interest in a Curry 3*, but I'd love to hear thoughts now that you read my weirdness. Thanks in advance for your help!
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a lead player, and when I try my lips tend to swell a little. That said, I have a 3*. and it sounds great for a bit but then shuts down for me. I think there's just not enough room inside with the "bowl" shape. There's a 3M. (aka 3ZM.) for sale in the marketplace at the moment, if you're interested in a shallow C-rim. I was thinking of trying it myself. The 3 is a .665" diameter, somewhere between your 1-1/4 and the 65.6.

Curry 3ZM: "Slightly shallower than the C cup, it's [sic] medium cup has enough tone to satisfy most classical needs, yet is bright enough to play parts in a big band."
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Reeves - Purviance P8 that is really impressive (bought in the Marketplace here). I think George Rawlin does a review on Youtube. It's a pretty shallow C cup type, relaxed throat, 27 drill. Projection is fantastic with a clear, sparkling tone. Although pretty shallow, I'm not close to bottoming out on it. It's clear tone allows one to relax and not press too much. The accompanying rim is about a 43, and although not sure, I think a 43.5 would be similar size to your mouthpiece. I have several Reeves pieces and find they all yield a nice commercial sound for me, but the P8 is particularly impressive.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
I picked up a Reeves - Purviance P8 that is really impressive (bought in the Marketplace here). I think George Rawlin does a review on Youtube. It's a pretty shallow C cup type, relaxed throat, 27 drill. Projection is fantastic with a clear, sparkling tone. Although pretty shallow, I'm not close to bottoming out on it. It's clear tone allows one to relax and not press too much. The accompanying rim is about a 43, and although not sure, I think a 43.5 would be similar size to your mouthpiece. I have several Reeves pieces and find they all yield a nice commercial sound for me, but the P8 is particularly impressive.

The P8 is 42/64 same as the Reeves 42, very similar to a Reeves 42S.
That translates to about a .656". The Curry 600 series 60M or 60S (.660" ID) would be very close to the 42/64 Reeves/Purviance in feel.

A Reeves 43S or Purviance 9 or 10 (43/64) would probably be a better fit.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Another "Lead" MPC Search... Reply with quote

ejaime23 wrote:
Hey gang,

So before diving in, a bit of background about myself: I'm classically trained, having received a Masters from a very good music school, blah blah blah. Short version is that I'm a classical nerd that's managed to fake my way into playing a lot of broadway stuff in town. I'm currently looking to find a mouthpiece that will help me take on a very long run of West Side Story this summer, without sacrificing my tone and aperture.
I typically play on a modified Bach 1 1/4C for my warm-ups, daily playing, etc. For my heavier gigs, I'll play on a GR 65.6M. I recently bought a Stork LDS4 hoping that it'll make life a tad easier, but I found it really stuffy (which I was disappointed to find seeing as how it was advertised as very free-blowing). The really odd part is that the Stork feels smaller than the GR, though the GR - on paper - is smaller than the Stork. I'm not much of an equipment junkie, so I'm not sure why that is, but all that to say I'm still looking.
So I'd like something slightly shallower than my 65.6M, but that isn't super restrictive. Reading all these things on "lead" mouthpieces about having a tighter backbores concerns me a bit, but maybe I'm just approaching it wrong. In any case, I'm open to any and all suggestions, a recent post has sparked my interest in a Curry 3*, but I'd love to hear thoughts now that you read my weirdness. Thanks in advance for your help!

Having played 25-30 years on a Bach 1 1/4 (from 1970) today I use a Stork Studio Master VM6 - for lead. Big sound, also suitable for more lyrcial passages.Suberb mouthpiece. Go try it.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed; I've always enjoyed your mouthpiece knowledge. The biggest difference between my Reeves pieces and my Reeves Purviance pieces is the more open throa on my RP's. Is this a consistent trait of the Reeves Puriance pieces or just mine?
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:

Total agree but if you come from 1.1/4C the P8 is small for you and even the P9 is small and shalow for you , for me Reeves 43.5M will be perfect for a classic training player that needs some boost for the Mambo.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of Pickett mouthpieces. I just bought a Pickett commercial mouthpiece that matches real well with my Bach Commercial trumpet. It is a great combo for upper register and lead playing. Brilliant and full.
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Another "Lead" MPC Search... Reply with quote

ejaime23 wrote:
Hey gang,

A few thoughts:

1) Some commercial players like the same diameter as what they would play classically, but many find a smaller diameter aids in efficiency.
2) Tighter backbores and throats aid in efficiency, but feel tight or stuffy to most players that overblow. Over time, I have come to appreciate more efficiency.
3) I am classically trained and fight many typical ‘lead’ style pieces. I find that there is more chop room in the upper cup of a Bob Reeves design. I would second previous suggestions of a Reeves M or S cup. The 42 rim would be close to your GR diameter and the 43 or 43.5 would be closer to your Bach. Warburton S and M cups are somewhat similar to the Reeves, though I prefer the Reeves. A Warburton SV cup is also very popular for commercial work but has less chop room in the upper cup. Your GR would be similar to the M cups I have listed here, so if you want to go a step further towards more efficient, I would consider a Reeves or Warburton S cup.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: