• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Used horn condition needed for sale?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Used horn condition needed for sale? Reply with quote

Had a lead on a late 60's Ggetzen Severinsen locally. I asked the owner if anything was frozen up. He said everything looked OK, he hadn't played since high school in the mid-1980s.

So, of course, tuning slide and second slide were frozen tight. Third slide was missing screw for the ring. First slide moved a little. Valves were barely moveable but dry. Leadpipe has a couple small bubbles near receiver and some small black pits on the outside, but I couldn't get inside view with the tuning slide frozen.

He was asking almost $1K for the horn, which might be ballpark for a Doc of the era in good working condition. I passed. I knew I would not get him down to the price I would be willing to pay for it in that condition.

Among the veteran horn traders here, if you are
not willing to take on a "project" horn, what are your minimum qualifications for a horn you'd consider buying? If you're selling, what do you do to make sure buyers won't walk away/
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think I qualify as a veteran horn trader, but a horn with stuck slides, what sounds like at least minimal red rot, so-so valves....unless I was looking for a leave-on-a-horn-stand-and-who-cares-if-the-dog-knocks-it-over horn, I would definitely pass.

Brad
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always smell mouse when a listing says "we are not experts" and don't disclose basic information. If you are in the antique business, pawn, or estate sales business, you learn to evaluate at a basic level pretty quickly.

If you have to interrogate them about such basics, it is because they were hoping you wouldn't ask. My trust level goes way down.

When said seller pulled the horn out of the closet 35 years later, they for sure knew about slides and valves moving, any missing parts. I would have expected them to attempt to oil the valves and know whether anything is frozen, and disclose that up front.

Even a statement like "2nd valve is stuck and I couldn't budge the cap to oil it" goes a long way with me. At least I know they aren't trying to hide a known problem.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If eBay is any indication, a quick look at completed auctions shows that Severinsen models in good condition currently sell for around $600-$850. In the condition that trumpet is in, I would think he would be lucky to get $300 for it.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your goal is to become a successful 'trader' or 'picker', a general rule is that the profit comes from a great 'buy' price, not finding someone who'll pay big-$$. Most people who are actively looking to buy an item already have a good idea of what's a fair price, and what condition to expect.

I just bought an inexpensive horn for my own use, and when I went to see it, I took valve oil, grease, Q-tip, my own mpc, etc. - I wanted to make sure that I'd be able to actually play it before buying.

If you can do your own basic repairs, cleaning, adjusting, etc. that goes a long way to judging how much work is needed to make the horn worthwhile. But it can be time consuming, and requires some tools, work space, etc.

If you need to use a pro repair-tech for minor stuff, that increases your cost quite a bit.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I don’t think I qualify as a veteran horn trader, but a horn with stuck slides, what sounds like at least minimal red rot, so-so valves....unless I was looking for a leave-on-a-horn-stand-and-who-cares-if-the-dog-knocks-it-over horn, I would definitely pass.

Brad

Took me all of 5 seconds to decide that. I advised him to take it to the local shop that takes care of school instruments and get a minimal bath and oil. He seemed to be hoping to pass on this horn that has sentimental value to him to a current student. I can't imagine anybody, even a rookie parent, buying it without it working at sale time.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Lips wrote:
If eBay is any indication, a quick look at completed auctions shows that Severinsen models in good condition currently sell for around $600-$850. In the condition that trumpet is in, I would think he would be lucky to get $300 for it.

I was prepared to go $800-850 had it been in VG condition, because exterior is in good shape. But all my worst fears were realized and it was worth $0 to me.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, some nice Severinsens have gone for quite a bit less than that. One listing for what appears to be an instruments in very good condition went for $320.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get a decent Severinsen for $600 or less. Check with Dillons, Thompson, Chuck Levins, and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: