• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question about Bach Leadpipes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBTP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Question about Bach Leadpipes Reply with quote

Hello everyone:

Here it goes. Which is the most free blowing of these two options on a Bach 43*(LT180S43)? A 25-0 Leadpipe or a Reversed Leadpipe. Not interested in other Leadpipes or horns etc... Just working with this exact horn and two Leadpipe options. Does anyone have any experiences with these combinations? In general, the horn will be used as an all-around horn, different styles of music. Let the opinion wars begin!! Thank you all.
Dan in Sydney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the end it all boils down to what feels best to you. The 25-O pipe is a standard 25 pipe with a more open venturi, opened from .345 to .351, which is the same as a 25C as compared to a 25H in C trumpet world.
The main difference you’ll feel is the response, and the sound projection particularly at louder volumes in a large hall. There the 25-0 would be my preference. The 25R or reversed pipe horn has to have the main brace moved further up the bell to facilitate this reversed configuration. This more than likely will increase the flexibility and response at most volumes, but in my experience feels less solid if you really need to blow.
I do clinics and demonstrations for Bach in Europe and have demonstrated this many times between reversed and standard configuration trumpets.
With Bach it’s especially noticeable on their C trumpet, because that main brace is even further up the bell. This is exactly why Bob Malone designed the “hidden reverse” pipe so the main slide did not have to be movend so drastically. Good luck with your choice—but definitely try it in different size venues if you can!
Bach Artist and Clinician, Soloist
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/artist-information/centerstage/artist-roster/daniel-mendelow/
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Question about Bach Leadpipes Reply with quote

Does anybody know the venturi of the 43 leadpipe???

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Dan in Sydney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be the same as the standard 25. The difference is the faster rate of taper after the venturi resulting in it being more free blowing and feeling larger. That is .345 by the way...
Bach Artist and Clinician, Soloist
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/artist-information/centerstage/artist-roster/daniel-mendelow/
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Question about Bach Leadpipes Reply with quote

Thanks Dan!!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
BBTP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses. Ive narrowed my choice down even further to the 43* with the 25-o leadpipe. Any opinions/experiences with this configuration?
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a good combination in mind. The 43 leadpipe, epecially the 43LR, is very open. The small end of a 43 can be .348" - .350" That's the size that many New York Bach leadpipes were - pretty open.

The 25O is also good, more open than the stock 25.
https://yourbrass.com/
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 43* originally came with a standard 25 pipe. It now has a 25-O. For me, this opens up the horn nicely without making it too open. (I've never played a 43 with a reverse pipe, so can't comment there.)

However, the perfect blow for me is on my 72*, which came new with the 25-O. If you're set on a 43* bell, it's a great horn. But if you haven't played a 72*, you really should, even just for comparison.

My 2 cents.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
BBTP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom:

I have owned a 43lr with a regular 25 lead pipe. It was my main horn for 25 years and I loved it... I then owned a 72/25lr, it felt too tight and I converted to 72/43lr but that was way to open and I felt as if the sound did not have a good core. It had a big sound but not necessarily the best sound for me. I could hear and feel the sound spreading which I did not like. the lt 43* with the 25-o leadpipe intrigues me and I would like to know more about it... Thanks for the conversation.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bach 19037 Anniversary, which of course came with a 25 pipe. I swapped out the original "D" shaped tuning slide for a "C" shaped one, and it opened up the blow. I later installed a 25-O pipe, which opened it up a bit more, though frankly, not as much as I had anticipated.

Going to the "C" shaped tuning slide was a bigger improvement than I expected. With the "C" shaped tuning slide installed, going to the 25-0 pipe produced a more subtle change.

Moral of the story is that if your goal is opening up the blow, you may be happy going to a "C" shaped tuning slide, which is a less expensive option compared with the others you are considering.

Take care,
Marc Speed
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a partial opinion... My experience with changing to a reverse lead pipe is improvement in tuning/slotting of notes in the staff but a restricting of the upper register - more stuffy up top.

I think I'd second the idea of a rounded / C shaped tuning slide.. though I've also found that to be an immediate improvement but over a long term or playing a LOT on that setup, it begins to feel too open and lost a bit of the desired compression in the tone. On the 18037, with a D vs. a C shaped tuning slide, I liked the C shape for the upper register freedom but not as much for core of sound/projection in my "regular" range.

In contrast, I prefer the C shaped slide over the D shaped slide on my Bach Commercial trumpet.. (they come with both)

good luck
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: