• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DeCarbo ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: DeCarbo ? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5eHEEFv4rA

very interesting!
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool.. I like!
Roel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The font on the bell is hard to read, but it's actually "daCarbo", not "de".

www.dacarbo.ch

I played this horns at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt last week. They're essentially Spiri trumpets, with the different bell. Great horns, but I like the Spiri's with brass bells better. The carbon bell seems to make the horn more restrictive, in my opinion.
www.presidentsofantarctica.com
www.aachen-bigband.de
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent Austin certainly sounds great on it. Well, on everything.
outskiing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Not sure I see the point. Reply with quote

Unless the material helps the sound of the instrument, I'm not sure I see the point of using carbon fiber. I guess it makes the horn lighter, but really they don't weigh that much to begin with.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was discussed a few years back, as in this thread.

The response was not overwhelming and based on the lack of chatter over the years, I suspect that it isn’t a breakthrough that changed the brass world.

Don’t get me wrong, I love to think our instruments are evolving and being refined and it would be great if this were a big step forward.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we have heard the end of carbon fiber material in trumpet construction. Obviously mostly in bells. I owned a Dacarbo and enjoyed it but eventually sold it to another curious player. I thought there was more of a difference in the feedback to the player than in the sound out front. They are probably not for every musical situation but I think over time they will find a place.

I have a very fine violin playing friend who loves her carbon fiber violin. This is not a part timer--subs in Boston Pops and is concertmaster of the local professional orchestra locally. No, she doesn't play it in the orchestra (yet!) but does play it professionally a lot.

Surely if string players can accept them....
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Substituting carbon fiber for wood is a lot different than subbing it for metal, don't you think? After all, wood is carbon-based too. I can see it finding it's way into woodwinds for that reason, but I think the application within the brass realm is just something of a lark. That is not to say some mechanical use in pistons and such is not a good fit.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different yes but-Charles Dallenbach has been using a tuba with a similar bell for years in the Canadian Brass so it is not unprecedented. Just another color tool to use if we choose.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
Different yes but-Charles Dallenbach has been using a tuba with a similar bell for years in the Canadian Brass so it is not unprecedented. Just another color tool to use if we choose.

There is also the case of sousaphones with fiberglass bells.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both tuba and sousaphone applications are clearly directed at achieving a lighter instrument. I don't think this is the impetus behind carbon fiber in a violin, though I may be wrong. Manufacturing issues are a more likely concern.

Sousaphones have been using fiberglass for bells for 50 years to make a lighter instrument. Low frequencies are not as bell dependent.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially thought that the daCarbo would sound more like a plastic trumpets...dull and lacking in resonance. Then a friend of mine in Concert Band brought his daCarbo in to a rehearsal one evening, and allowed me to play it. His is the Large, with the full carbon bell and bell crook. I was completely surprised at how well it played, how easily it responded, and how full it sounded. So much so that I started looking for one to purchase for a decent amount. I also started watching some YouTubes of players who are playing the daCarbo instruments (check out the one with James Morrison play testing one), and loved what I was hearing...and discovered that Rick Braun is now playing daCarbo horns.

I found a daCarbo Unica for sale here on TH that ronn6611 was selling and picked it up (after selling another horn in my stable to keep my better half happy).

I'm still getting used to it, but am loving this horn more every time I pick it up. I'm finding that I can back way off and it still responds easily, with a beautiful, full, round tone, and when pushed, it brightens up nicely, but retains a big and full sound. And the best part is, my wife loves the sound I get on this horn...which is a rare occurrence, since she isn't a fan of my usual bright sound. The valves are as good as I've ever seen...fast and smooth. People say "like butter"...that's these valves. The gold lacquer finish is quite beautiful, and the carbon fiber bell looks awesome (I know....very subjective). While it is a ML Bore horn, it is free blowing, which is to my liking. Much freer than any Bach 37 I've ever played, for example, and it has a more consistent blow across my range than the Bach Commercial L Bore I had for a while.

I have had an opportunity to let a couple of people play it, including two area pros, so I could get a better feel for the sound in front of the horn, and in every case, I loved what I was hearing, and they loved the same things about it that I mention above. Last night, a section mate in church orchestra played it and liked it so much, she is now interested in finding one.

For me, the daCarbo Unica is a keeper. If you get an opportunity to try one, do it! You may be as surprised as I was. Isn't it great that we have so many great horns to choose from?
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
saxophonist56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: arturo sounds okay on his!! Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm6F8G0iD4E
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregplo wrote:

I'm still getting used to it, but am loving this horn more every time I pick it up. I'm finding that I can back way off and it still responds easily, with a beautiful, full, round tone, and when pushed, it brightens up nicely, but retains a big and full sound. And the best part is, my wife loves the sound I get on this horn...which is a rare occurrence, since she isn't a fan of my usual bright sound. The valves are as good as I've ever seen...fast and smooth. People say "like butter"...that's these valves.

For me, the daCarbo Unica is a keeper. If you get an opportunity to try one, do it! You may be as surprised as I was. Isn't it great that we have so many great horns to choose from?

~~~~~~~~~!!

Just wondered about an update? I don’t see it listed in your signature.

I purchased a used Unica from Jamie’s Trumpet Gallery and couldn’t be happier. The valves are the best I’ve ever played. The sound is brighter than my red brass belled Adams, and has spot-on intonation. Just played my first gig with it tonight and it was wonderful. The combo and the audience loved the sound. The bell may be lighter, but (as Trent noted in the video) the body is solid and feels a tad heavier than most standard trumpets. I wanted to love this trumpet and am almost shocked how good it really is = beyond a pleasant surprise.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyber_shake wrote:
gregplo wrote:

I'm still getting used to it, but am loving this horn more every time I pick it up. I'm finding that I can back way off and it still responds easily, with a beautiful, full, round tone, and when pushed, it brightens up nicely, but retains a big and full sound. And the best part is, my wife loves the sound I get on this horn...which is a rare occurrence, since she isn't a fan of my usual bright sound. The valves are as good as I've ever seen...fast and smooth. People say "like butter"...that's these valves.

~~~~~~~~~!!

Just wondered about an update? I don’t see it listed in your signature.

I purchased a used Unica from Jamie’s Trumpet Gallery and couldn’t be happier. The valves are the best I’ve ever played. The sound is brighter than my red brass belled Adams, and has spot-on intonation. Just played my first gig with it tonight and it was wonderful. The combo and the audience loved the sound. The bell may be lighter, but (as Trent noted in the video) the body is solid and feels a tad heavier than most standard trumpets. I wanted to love this trumpet and am almost shocked how good it really is = beyond a pleasant surprise.

After playing the DeCarbo Unica for a while, I noticed that I was having to work harder than I wanted to above the staff due to the distance between the partials. I truly did love the sound of the horn...it is amazing how great the carbon bell sounds. The valves are excellent, and the golden colored lacquer is gorgeous, but I decided to find something easier for me to play above the staff. Great horn, but didn't quite fit me. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying yours!
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, Greg. I felt that way about the CarolBrass balanced trumpet … same issue. We are all different, so it is awesome we have so many good options to try and determine what horn is the best ‘fit’ for each of us.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: