• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet in E-flat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickenator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Trumpet in E-flat Reply with quote

Quick question. Would you use your B-flat or C trumpet to play a piece for trumpet in E-flat (specifically Aida). Thanks.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how good your technique is otherwise. I have friends, who, for example, play the Haydn or the Hummel on a Bb so the Eb trumpet part in the key of C Major transposes well to the key of F major for a Bb instrument, and the Bb transcription in F major is readily available. I have other friends who play in orchestra and play their C for everything, sight transposing whatever key the part is or original trumpet key is as needed.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are playing the opera, you can just grab a C trumpet and be done with it. It changes key often enough to require excellent transposition skills. It was not written for today's modern Eb trumpet, so in essence play whatever...

If you re playing an orchestral arrangement of, say, Act II Scene ii (the triumphal march) I have played it on both, and get the best results on a C. But, whatever works, works.

cheers

Andy

Last edited by Andy Del on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My E flat trumpet makes certain passages easy that were once technically challenging on the B flat or C. Part of my current problem is no doubt that I'm going through a major embouchure change. This however is giving me all that much more reason to play my E flat.

I think that people who use shallower mouthpieces when playing the E flat are sometimes making a mistake. That is if they're looking for a more traditional classical tone. Throat and back-bore size is critical too. My current classical mouthpiece has a medium large inner rim and cup depth. That and has a very open #24 throat. With an open throat and large enough cup I can usually make my E flat sound like the B flat.

It was just last spring, (before the injury which forced my embouchure change) when I finally wised up to using my E flat more in first chair classical situations. Tunes where the intervals esp above the staff get tricky to play absolutely dead perfectly. Today I'm working very hard to improve my E flat to B flat transposition. As it opens up avenues I once thought I was incapable of.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
cary_phil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's easier to transpose a fourth than a minor third.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: