• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

delete

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctw0611

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: delete Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by ctw0611 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
chrisneverve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay open minded. Everything you knew will be different. I was on a 1C before I got mine off and had to downsize to a 7C. I played all the way up to the day before and was astounded how different it felt. You’re muscles will feel nonexistent. It will be a great time to get back to basics. Free-buzzing helped me a ton. Hopefully you’ve got a teacher to help you through. Try everything you know and be humble.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will feel different and interfere with your focus.

Focus on a big breath and a beautiful sound.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle school band director here, I deal with this all the time.

1. Be patient. It will be a few weeks OF DAILY PRACTICE before things start feeling normal. You will almost be starting over as a beginner.

2. Practice every day. Half an hour is fine. You don't want to over-work the muscles as they slowly adjust.

3. Long tones. Low and soft. For the first day or two, I would just watch TV and hold out low, soft notes. Like notes from C below the staff to the second line G. Let your muscles feel what it's like to play again.

4. Rest as often as you play. That means play for 1 minute, rest for 1 minute. No kidding, set a timer if you have to.

5. Be patient.

6. Be patient.

7. You're doing great. It will come back, stronger than before. You are getting better, even if you don't feel like you are. Be patient.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:

1. Be patient. It will be a few weeks OF DAILY PRACTICE before things start feeling normal. You will almost be starting over as a beginner.

2. Practice every day. Half an hour is fine. You don't want to over-work the muscles as they slowly adjust.

3. Long tones. Low and soft. For the first day or two, I would just watch TV and hold out low, soft notes. Like notes from C below the staff to the second line G. Let your muscles feel what it's like to play again.

4. Rest as often as you play. That means play for 1 minute, rest for 1 minute. No kidding, set a timer if you have to.

5. Be patient.

6. Be patient.

7. You're doing great. It will come back, stronger than before. You are getting better, even if you don't feel like you are. Be patient.

This.

I teach a lot of middle school private lessons and agree with Justin, especially numbers 5,6 and 7!

Brad
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add point zero to the list below.

0. Stop playing before the braces come off and stay off playing for about a week (or preferably two) afterwards. The back to playing - supervised by your teacher - as below.

The reason for this, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, is that you need to forget how to play with braces. Taking some time off means you can get used to life post braces, eat a few apples, work out that there are no impediments to close 'contacts', etc. etc.

From this now slightly foggy playing position, one can focus on good habits, and build (or rebuild) their playing in an even more positive way. End of the day, with some dedicated practice you DO come back stronger.

I've recommended the two weeks off, pre and post appliances, for years and had great success with it. Kids who do this, even if the braces limit their playing, always return well. it can also 'rescue' kids who have had brace on and had all sorts of issues with them.

cheers

Andy

jadickson wrote:

5. Be patient.

6. Be patient.

PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
It will feel different and interfere with your focus.

Focus on a big breath and a beautiful sound.

This!!!
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: