• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Going with bigger mouthpiece now

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Going with bigger mouthpiece now Reply with quote

After many years of playing smallish (9/10-1/2, etc) mouthpieces, I now find that my sound and execution is better with a #1-1/2 type mouthpiece. I re-visited a Curry 1.5 I had in my 200+ mouthpiece bin & am surprised how well I can play it as opposed to the smaller ones witch lately seemed to be backing up & working against me. Anyone else share this?
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i'm 60 yo, and played 3C ish pieces.

Since a few months, i feel restricted in the low range.(bad vibration, small sound)

I was thinking i can't play bigger mpcs because of fast tiring in the upper register.

I played a CG3, then Silver 6, then DONAT 168 (short shank and 22 bore a great mpc but probably too small diameter for me now) then pick up again my Silver 6 who feel a little more open than the Donat.

But that was not sufficient, so i tried (expensive try ... i will probably sell it ) a B6S1 Resonance Prana : better sound in lower register and great ease upper with a powerful cutting sound, but too diffused sound in the middle register an tire me quickly if tension appear : better at home, relaxed, than in rehearsals or on stage .. i think i'm a too bad player for it...

So i tried a Silver 4 (big 3C or small 1 1/2 C ??) and all is fine ... (i still prefer the sound of the Prana above G at top of the staff)

I practice much more than a few years ago, it can explain that also.
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

For most of my career, I played Bach 1.5C type mouthpieces. A couple of years ago, I switched to mouthpieces more in the 1.25C - 1C range. My endurance actually increased. My teeth line up with my lips in such a way that using the larger diameter mouthpiece allows me to get more top lip in the mouthpiece. This has helped tremendously.

I know that my change was not as significant as the change to which you are referring, but I think the idea is similar. Conventional wisdom suggests that smaller equipment is always easier, but I don't think that is always the case. Some people have facial structures that benefit from larger equipment. The style of music that is being played can also have an effect, I believe. I'm primarily a classical player, and it is just easier for me to get the sound that I desire on the larger gear. I actually find that I manipulate in an unhealthy manner attempting to get my desired sound on smaller stuff.

This is just my experience, I know others will differ.

Have fun out there!!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave said : I'm primarily a classical player, and it is just easier for me to get the sound that I desire on the larger gear. I actually find that I manipulate in an unhealthy manner attempting to get my desired sound on smaller stuff.

I began classical music (amateur symphonic orchestra, classical and film music) a year and a half ago, after 59 years of jazz since i was in the belly of my mother ...

Perhaps it's one of the reasons i switched to a bigger mpc.

it's funny because i play second in our Jazz Big Band and the work began easier also with this bigger mpc, and not only for the solos.

Perhaps the instrument has his responsibility also, the 8335 is sold with a 1/2 C ish mpc (16C4) and perhaps work better with this kind of mpc.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree w/both of you. The "smaller is better" as to mouthpieces is a myth....Arban and other great cornetist of the early 1900s said that one should play a larger mouthpiece and develop one's embouchure......I miss much less notes and my tone is far better w/a bigger piece. I'm NOT going back to the small (specialized) mouthpieces.......
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpiece size and shape is so personal. It is all about the right tool for the right job, and how a mouthpiece blows on a given horn and fits the facial structure of a given player. Bigger is not better, smaller is not worse... the right size for you to achieve the desired result is what it is important. That means bigger is better for some, and smaller will be better for others. I’m glad for those that have shared their enthusiasm for their success in this thread. It is exciting when equipment changes help us make music better.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Walk wrote:
Mouthpiece size and shape is so personal. It is all about the right tool for the right job, and how a mouthpiece blows on a given horn and fits the facial structure of a given player. Bigger is not better, smaller is not worse... the right size for you to achieve the desired result is what it is important. That means bigger is better for some, and smaller will be better for others. I’m glad for those that have shared their enthusiasm for their success in this thread. It is exciting when equipment changes help us make music better.

You have said it best! Exactly right!!!!!!
cary_phil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My go to mouthpiece all these years has been a Bach 1 1/4 C, with the shank bored out.
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and four posts later a picc to sell in the marketplace !!!
simple
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cary_phil wrote:
My go to mouthpiece all these years has been a Bach 1 1/4 C, with the shank bored out.

How did you bore out the shank? A drill bit? What advantage does it give? More air?
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer I played my old bigs after playing the smaller stuff for 10 years or so and for a while I really liked the improved accuracy and big sound. I'm back to the SC3 (i.D. bach 10) again as the ease of projection and compact sound and simply getting the job done win the day.
Brodydog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Bach mouthpieces for years 3C 1C 2C 1-1/2 C 1-1/4C 1B 0 Finally stumbled on to a Laskey 84D and Laskey 84DB (for cornet). Plays like a Bach but much easier to focus.
kjt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Walk wrote:
Mouthpiece size and shape is so personal. ... bigger is better for some, and smaller will be better for others.

This is the important key here (and is precisely why I hate seeing endorsed mouthpieces or signature models). What works great for one person should be of little significance to someone else choosing a mouthpiece.

I spent the majority of my life playing larger diameters. When I started investigating smaller (medium-smaller, not tiny) diameters, it's as if someone just turned on the lights that had been off all those years. I got by fine on the larger diameters and had a great deal of success with them, but everything for me improved (sound, articulation, intonation, endurance, etc.) when I went to smaller diameters. So, it's not a matter of bigger being better or smaller being better, but simply the right size for you being better. Don't worry about what is right for someone else.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjt wrote:
J-Walk wrote:
Mouthpiece size and shape is so personal. ... bigger is better for some, and smaller will be better for others.

This is the important key here (and is precisely why I hate seeing endorsed mouthpieces or signature models). What works great for one person should be of little significance to someone else choosing a mouthpiece.

I spent the majority of my life playing larger diameters. When I started investigating smaller (medium-smaller, not tiny) diameters, it's as if someone just turned on the lights that had been off all those years. I got by fine on the larger diameters and had a great deal of success with them, but everything for me improved (sound, articulation, intonation, endurance, etc.) when I went to smaller diameters. So, it's not a matter of bigger being better or smaller being better, but simply the right size for you being better. Don't worry about what is right for someone else.

EXACTLY!
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always preferred a larger diameter mouthpiece. I have very thin lips but have never felt comfortable on a smaller diameter.
I tried two mouthpieces from Jerry Callet but just couldn't adjust. I don't really play much these days but my current piece is a Yamaha 14B4. The cup is not too deep but it's diameter is somewhere in the 2 or 3C size. When I am in shape I can play a reliable G over high C.
The one smaller piece I played well on was a Zotolla 64B. I bought it from Frank Zotolla around 1976. I was studying with Bob Zotolla at the time and he suggested I go see his dad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: