• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

an adams A4 0.40 large bore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saxophonist56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: an adams A4 0.40 large bore Reply with quote

is .40 a light weight...isn't .50 normal?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a .45 on my A8. My tech feels that's pretty light for the magnitude of the rest of the horn (overall it is an extremely heavy horn). Lighter weight is supposed to provide quicker response (although I doubt the differences are significant among the various weights).

Adams recommends .45 in gold brass on the A8 (which is the gauge and type I have). They recommend .40 in gold brass on the A4 and .45 in yellow brass on the A4LT. I would certainly not call .45 a heavy bell. I think .40 and .45 are both on the lighter weight side. Certainly the .45 is not heavier than what is on a Bach Strad.

I don't know that the A4 is a particularly lightweight horn (compared, for example, to a Bach Strad) in either configuration. I just followed the advice Adams gave me. I can tell you that .45 is pretty easy to dent. Obviously, .40 would be even easier to dent. I'm very happy with my A8 overall (and the A8 is very similar to the A4 except for the mouthpiece receiver/leadpipe section).
saxophonist56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just was able to find out that .40 is normal for an A4 bell.....so massive

it's not the lightweight version. supposedly the A4 light weight is more responsive. thx for the reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: