• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach B Minor Mass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Bach B Minor Mass Reply with quote

I'm playing Et Expecto and Et Ressurexit from the B Minor mass this weekend. At the end of the Et Expecto there's a lick that starts on written D leading up to a sustained written G. It copies a similar lick earlier in the piece. The earlier one has an F#, but the one at the end has no accidental. Those that have played the Mass - did you play the written F natural, or did you play F# like the previous instance? I've listed to some recordings and just can't quite hear it with enough confidence to say one way or the other, and either one could sound right. I won't have a chance to run through it with the ensemble and choir before we perform Sunday morning.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm looking at the right passages -- a bunch of eighth notes leading up to a long G, one at the beginning of the movement and one at the end -- the ink is correct. The harmonic context is very different.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ink is definitely correct.
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I suspected it was right, but am not confident enough in my theory to be confident. Much appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: