• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horns for a lead player

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Horns for a lead player Reply with quote

xCornStar wrote:
... I use a Schilke B1 ... for someone who will focus mostly on Jazz/lead playing?

----------------------------------
You haven't mentioned what you'd want a different horn to DO differently compared to your B1.

Have you been using the B1 for 'Jazz / lead' playing, and have you (or anyone) found it to be deficient?

Does the B1 give you enough endurance and 'playing precision' for what you envision in the jazz / lead playing?

I'd suggest you make a short list of what you demand from a jazz / lead horn that the B1 doesn't provide.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.[/quote]I live around the DC area so I'll be going to Chuck Levin'sto try things out, and possibly Baltimore Brass, any other places in the DC/Northern Virginia area you all know about and could recommend would be helpful.[/quote]
Then you can check out Charlie Davis' Calicchio clone and the Scodwell trumpets, the Stomvi S3 and all the others.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I don't see the Getzen Severinsen. Yes/No? I sat next to Larry Ford, at that time former lead for the North Texas One O'clock Lab Band, Woody Herman and others, and he played a Getzen.

Yes but Larry could play anything anytime on anything and sound like GABRIEL HAD LOANED HIM HIS HORN😸

Finest player I ever knew.
Superb reading skills.
Rod
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently shifted to the lead chair, or split lead in a couple of bands, and brought out my '28 King Liberty, which I had sold to Bill Lamb, may he rest in peace, and then bought back when he needed to unload a few horns. I'm sure glad I did. It's a design that Zig Kanstul declared to me as, "one of the best engineered horns in the last century." Bright with core, unbelievable scale and so easy to play upstairs. G's and A's were just shooting out of the thing. If you find one from the '20s in good shape, grab it! These babies were made to be heard before the era of mics and amplification.

ed
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
I recently shifted to the lead chair, or split lead in a couple of bands, and brought out my '28 King Liberty, which I had sold to Bill Lamb, may he rest in peace, and then bought back when he needed to unload a few horns. I'm sure glad I did. It's a design that Zig Kanstul declared to me as, "one of the best engineered horns in the last century." Bright with core, unbelievable scale and so easy to play upstairs. G's and A's were just shooting out of the thing. If you find one from the '20s in good shape, grab it! These babies were made to be heard before the era of mics and amplification.

ed

Would you like another this one a large bore.
Rod
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meaning to buy? PM me
Henson813p

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice so far. Best I can say is try as many as you can and find something that resonates with you - pun intended. Bring a musician friend to listen, see if any dealers or shops around you allow a loan/trial period to try different horns out.

I spent about 2 years trying EVERYTHING (while still on my Bach 72) I could and I think I hit almost every type you can think of and list - various models from Bach, Kanstul, Yamaha, Calicchio, Schilke, Wild Thing, Conn, etc. I really took my time. I ended up trying the horns from Warburton since I have been using their mouthpieces for 10+ years and theirs were the best for what I wanted sound and feel wise.
grune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I don't see the Getzen Severinsen. Yes/No? I sat next to Larry Ford, at that time former lead for the North Texas One O'clock Lab Band, Woody Herman and others, and he played a Getzen.

I shall second, for the Getzen Severinsen. The Severinsen was designed specifically for lead and big band. Now replaced by the 3001 Artist? It may be the best-bang-for-buck, too.

Are we in a golden time for trumpets, with such a plethora from which to choose? To have so many quality horns now is great. But, also a challenge to decide!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of folks have already mentioned the most popular/common options from Bach, Benge, Yamaha...so I won't repeat those. Here are a few others to consider.

Getzen 900 and 900DLX. The 900 is a very nice lead horn. The 900DLX is even better, in my opinion, with a more refined, fuller sound that projects just as well.

Shires BLW and CVLA. The BLW is similar to a Bach Strad LT43. Really fun horn. The CVLA large bore I played reminded me of a Benge 3X MLP, but with nicer valves.

Warburton 131. Similar to a Bach Strad LT72, in my opinion.

Powell. Fred makes some horns that can really sing. I don't recall models/configurations, but if you contact him and advise him of your needs he can steer you in the right direction.

Van Laar B1 and perhaps the B8. The B1 has a nice bright sound. I have not played a B8, but it is one of Hub's new horns with a sterling silver bell. I suspect it would be a terrific lead horn.

As others have stated, the best thing you can do is to try as many horns as possible. Going to ITG or one of the other major shows is the best way to try a wide variety of horns. If you can't do that, consider vsiting a big music store like Thompson, Dillon or Washington Music Center.

Good luck and have fun!
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two related posts that list many options for lead horns that you may want to read:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150411&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126238&highlight=cutting+lead+horns

Good luck with your search. You'll know you've found the right horn when you love to play it more than anything else.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uglylips wrote:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126238&highlight=cutting+lead+horns

Good read, and for the trip down memory lane. My, my how things have changed.
Very interesting to remember the equipment of 5 years ago...you still playing the 43, btw?
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
+1

I just saw this thread. I would also throw in a Conn Super Constellation 60B. Very lightweight and buttery smooth valves and a sizzling sound. I also have a Severinsen and it would be a very tough choice between the two. The Severinsen needs less valve maintenance and you don't have to mess with the crazy barrel design, but the sizzle of the 60B!!!
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grune wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

I shall second, for the Getzen Severinsen. The Severinsen was designed specifically for lead and big band. Now replaced by the 3001 Artist? It may be the best-bang-for-buck, too.

Are we in a golden time for trumpets, with such a plethora from which to choose? To have so many quality horns now is great. But, also a challenge to decide!
SO true! I want a Getzen 900DLX, at least try it first!
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a few special finish 3001’s around that were test/demo models...
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
uglylips wrote:

Good read, and for the trip down memory lane. My, my how things have changed.
Very interesting to remember the equipment of 5 years ago...you still playing the 43, btw?

Yes, still playing the 43. I also have a nice 37 that makes blending with the section much easier.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

As did Snooky Young and John Audino. Also two old friends, Nick Drozdoff and Tom Parmerter. All large bores but Snooky.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Eternas are some of the best and more successful commercial Bb's through time.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
HornofPlenty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add the Bach Strad with a 43 Sterling Silver bell. That horn can cut thru anything. Great for horn/rock bands and lead in big bands. I also like the old Getzen Eterna Doc models.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites thus far (48 years of playing) would be:

Yamaha YTR 8340EM (Very light weight multi-bore)
Bach Stradivarius NY 7 (LT 18077) - large bore Bach that plays much better than the newly designed "Commercial Bach" ... in my opinion.
Schilke - various models. I currently own the X3; however, have owned an X4, B1, and S42 ...

Really boils down to what feels good to YOU.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go a step further. In all the horns I have ever tested I have always found that they behave differently in the heat of battle than when I play alone.
Projection, feedback, and blend really can only be evaluated for you in the context of playing in a section.

So my suggestion would be to try as many as you can while sitting in a section. get your friend to observe there as well.

adagiotrumpet wrote:
The suggestion to have someone sitting across the room as you play test horns is an excellent idea. As someone who has played Schilkes for more than 20 years and has owned or currently owns B1's, B2's, B3's, B5's, B6's, S22's and X3's, I find for playing lead, the medium bells of the B2 and B3 work the best. I have played a B3 as my principal commercial horn for over 20 years after originally playing a B1. My son went from a B1 to a B2 when he found himself playing a lot of lead. I found the large bells on the B1 and X3 sound great, but for me, the sound tends to spread and not cut through as well as the medium bells. Check out the Schilke website and familiarize yourself with the specs of the various models.

As much as Schilkes work great for me, they don't work for everybody. The suggestions previously mentioned are all good ones. Don't limit yourself. Try as many horns as you can so that you can make an informed decision.

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: