• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rudy Muck 17C has completely changed my playing...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jake50

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Rudy Muck 17C has completely changed my playing... Reply with quote

I'm a comeback player, with a distance to go... but I've found that the Rudy Muck 17C mouthpiece has completely changed the way I play.... I play a lot more easily, less blowing, less pressure... easy upper... better slotting...

It sure would have been nice to have had this years and years ago...

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience with this?

Has anyone been able to compare the original with the Legends copy? Or, any other copy? How do they compare? What is the 16S like?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, in which ways/parameters do you think influenced that? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jake50

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Jake, in which ways/parameters do you think influenced that? Thanks.

To make the mouthpiece work, I had to relax my embouchure... and once I figured it out, it just seems to work so well... And there is much less having to adjust my embouchure to reach the upper register... slurring up is much, much easier... I feel like I've missed something all these years...
I'm eager to see if Legends remake and backbore enhancement works even better... but this was like a two-day turn-around for me...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a RM 17C and my experience was not the same. I just didn't like it. I'm sure it was the "cheater" high note mpc of the day. It came with a Conn 40B Vocabell I bought. I do love my JET-TONE Custom Model 1B and it's a "cheetah" to some. The 17C is big and heavy too!
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach 10 3/4CW and 10 3/4EW are very similar to the Rudy Muck 17C

They were originally the 17C1 and 17C2, which makes some suspect they were derived from the Muck 17C.

You might try those out.
jake50

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobylou8 wrote:
I have a RM 17C and my experience was not the same. I just didn't like it. I'm sure it was the "cheater" high note mpc of the day. It came with a Conn 40B Vocabell I bought. I do love my JET-TONE Custom Model 1B and it's a "cheetah" to some. The 17C is big and heavy too!

Yes... big and it sounds horrible when I play with my past 45+ year old embouchure... But for some reason I decided to mess around with it to see how it responds and why it was such a big hit decades ago.

It really doesn't play like a screamer or a "cheatah" for me... Slight, subtle changes in air flow and embouchure and I'm up and down the scale... and clear and softer. I can't explain it, but playing is more enjoyable for me - less work, more fun! And also I've noticed that endurance seems to be much less a factor...
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll revisit it. At the time I got it, I didn't want to change anything. Maybe now I can give it a whirl!
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobylou8 wrote:

Agree.... I had the exact experience as you...just way too small for me........I also have the original Maynard piece & could not make it work either......I just got a Dennis Wick American Classic 5c & will see how that works.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rudy Muck 17C has completely changed my playing... Reply with quote

jake50 wrote:
I'm a comeback player, with a distance to go... but I've found that the Rudy Muck 17C mouthpiece has completely changed the way I play.... I play a lot more easily, less blowing, less pressure... easy upper... better slotting...

Has anyone been able to compare the original with the Legends copy? Or, any other copy? How do they compare? What is the 16S like?

Hey Jake,
Sounds like you are figuring out the benefits of smaller ID's. All the things you describe come with the smaller ID if you learn not to use too much lip intrusion and bottom out. Smaller doesn't mean less sound in any register.
Also Small ID's paired with small backbores can actually help you from bottoming out because of the natural pressure they provide. But using them requires changes and it sounds like you've stumbled upon those changes. Best of luck with your new setup.

tom
jake50

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rudy Muck 17C has completely changed my playing... Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
jake50 wrote:

Hey Jake,
Sounds like you are figuring out the benefits of smaller ID's. All the things you describe come with the smaller ID if you learn not to use too much lip intrusion and bottom out. Smaller doesn't mean less sound in any register.
Also Small ID's paired with small backbores can actually help you from bottoming out because of the natural pressure they provide. But using them requires changes and it sounds like you've stumbled upon those changes. Best of luck with your new setup.

tom

Thanks for the encouragement... It is a lifetime coming, really... Actually the 17C doesn't seem to be as small as the ones I was using... GR 62* which is a great piece... I just relaxed and less lip in the cup as you say... It's a great experience... so much more endurance and less pressure on the lips... Thanks!
(If I've played a little in the morning... it seems I can pick up the horn later in the day and go right to it without much warmup...)
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid (3rd Grade) my parents signed me up with a private teacher, as there was no school program where I attended until 9th grade. My teacher turned out to be a former circus trumpet player who actually DID "run away from home and join the circus". He was a fabulous player, and a great instrument tech, also...anyway, he started me on a Rudy Muck 17C, if my memory serves me correctly (I know it was a Rudy Muck).

By the time I reached the 7th grade, he had me belting out high C's and above, and I had decent technique and reading skills, so he was also a good teacher...then I hit high school.

My high school band director was also a former pro trumpet player, and also a great guy and a big influence on me. BUT, when he saw the Rudy Muck piece, he had, as we used to say in the South, a "hissy fit". He immediately had my parents purchase me a new MV Bach 7C (which I still have, BTW...had it replated a few years ago). My good high register went away for a while, but my tone improved...(this "difference in opinion" lead to some cussing and bickering between my private teacher and my band director, some of which was quite funny years later to me, but that's a story for another time!)

Funny thing, that RM piece disappeared from my case after a few weeks in high school. I guess my director did not want me to succumb to temptation...

Your post about this piece brought back some great memories of two great players that had an enormous influence on me as a kid...thanks!

Dave
jake50

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:
When I was a kid (3rd Grade) my parents signed me up with a private teacher, as there was no school program where I attended until 9th grade. My teacher turned out to be a former circus trumpet player who actually DID "run away from home and join the circus". He was a fabulous player, and a great instrument tech, also...anyway, he started me on a Rudy Muck 17C, if my memory serves me correctly (I know it was a Rudy Muck).

By the time I reached the 7th grade, he had me belting out high C's and above, and I had decent technique and reading skills, so he was also a good teacher...then I hit high school.

My high school band director was also a former pro trumpet player, and also a great guy and a big influence on me. BUT, when he saw the Rudy Muck piece, he had, as we used to say in the South, a "hissy fit". He immediately had my parents purchase me a new MV Bach 7C (which I still have, BTW...had it replated a few years ago). My good high register went away for a while, but my tone improved...(this "difference in opinion" lead to some cussing and bickering between my private teacher and my band director, some of which was quite funny years later to me, but that's a story for another time!)

Funny thing, that RM piece disappeared from my case after a few weeks in high school. I guess my director did not want me to succumb to temptation...

Your post about this piece brought back some great memories of two great players that had an enormous influence on me as a kid...thanks!

Dave

Dave, That is a great story... thanks for sharing... I told my wife that if I had the RM in my early years, I would likely be playing professionally some where today... in another life!
jake50

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know which mouthpieces have tried to duplicate Rudy Muck's design? I've read that the Bach 10 3/4 CW is very similar... and that Legends makes a 16S that is similar to Muck's design... Others?
jake50

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Update... Reply with quote

Here's an update... if any would like to know...

The Rudy Muck 17C forced me to play much differently... a lot easier and much more fun, for sure. However, this started a serious safari hunt and experiment... I am sure there are other mouthpieces out there, maybe more sophisticated and up-to-date... but my embouchure has completely changed... I am much more relaxed, the tone is clear, the slurring is clean and the slotting effortless... But my chops have adjusted to the new style, and though I still enjoy the 17C, it started to feel just a little small (though I'm not sure if the sizes are much different).... I have found that the 19C is just right (said Goldilocks) without any question... I've got an old beat up original... not a looker... but I have never been able to make the horn sound as good as it does now... I don't want to sound boastful at all... I am just excited because I love the sound of the trumpet so much as you all do... This really opens up a new window for me... I tried the Bach 10 3/4 CW which I'm fairly certain is a Rudy Muck 19C copy... It plays okay, but there is something that seems magical about the 19C that the Bach seems to lack... Okay... that's enough... I just wanted to share the end of the story... Until the next safari....
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This relates to my age-old assertion, for which I am constantly flamed on the trumpet boards, but I'll say it again:

My assertion is that putting beginning trumpet students on 3C mouthpieces is short-sighted, in the case of band directors who push this size, selfish, and generally speaking, lunacy, which is unfair to the unknowing students.

The reason that teachers put students on these big 3C mouthpieces is that it can hide a lot of problems and make the student sound better. That makes the teacher look better, so it's self-serving on the teacher's part. If the band director told his trumpet section, I want you all on 3Cs, which is often done, again it is self-serving, but in either case, the teacher of the band director, it's an injustice to the student.

The reason it's an injustice is that by putting them on a bigger mp and getting them to sound better, this is not solving the embouchure problems that the student had in the first place, it only masks them. But these students will plateau and they will be one of the many whose range tops out at a high C or D and they envy the lucky ones who have the right tooth and jaw structure and naturally can play high right from the get-go. 99.9% of the ones who aren't as lucky will quit the trumpet after high school thinking, "I never had the lip for it."

Beginners need to play 3Cs like they need a hole in the head. Here's the thing: If a student is started out on a 7C or a 10.5C, they might not sound as good at the outset, but the thing about the smaller diameter mouthpieces is that they have more of a chance of forcing the player to play more correctly and efficiently and sometimes this just takes time. Our OP just experienced this with the Rudy Muck in a matter of two days.

Just take a look at the dimensions of a lot of the commercial players' signature mouthpieces and see how small they are. A good general rule is that a player should play with the smallest diameter that they can pull off rather than the largest.

And here's another reason why starting beginners on a 3C is an injustice: It's very difficult to transition down to a small mouthpiece from a larger one. Going from small to large is easy, but the goal more often is to go smaller. So all of these students who were put on 3Cs are going to have a heck of a time going smaller later on and it just gives them one more reason to give up on the whole thing.

The old fallacy that bigger is better has endured from the dark ages until today and I don't think classical players will ever get off of their 1, 1.25, 1.5C mouthpieces. OK, flame away!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his Balanced Embouchure Jeff Smiley discusses some success experienced when students go to a smaller mouthpiece which sounds like your story here. I'd check it out.
jake50

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
In his Balanced Embouchure Jeff Smiley discusses some success experienced when students go to a smaller mouthpiece which sounds like your story here. I'd check it out.

Sure will... Thanks!
Wayv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Size it up Reply with quote

Well it's another 15cm snow so good day to Play and Post.
I have 3 Rudy Muck mouthpieces from yr's ago . All cornet cushion rims 19c , 10, 10 1/2A
My Conn 28A has never seen much use , was thinking of searching for a new mouthpiece. I figured the best mouthpiece might be the one you own already ,when you have a drawer full. I took out the 10.5A and it suits the Conn beautifully for my face. The 19c looks so small it must be for one lip LOL.
Regarding mouthpiece size's in general. I was trying settle on my Stork 3B from the drawer in my trumpets nice tone and flexibility as I figured 16.5 is about my right cup diameter . I tried the Stork 2B gold top and wow it's about learning to play relaxed and actually feeling the lips do some work with that one. I'm now playing a Giardanelli 7c on the trumpet on the Kanstul chart is very much Bach 3d or 3d . Bought a Conn 6B on the bay recently and I'm getting good range and tone with the 7c .
FWIW I'm more the Chet school of playing where tone and shape the phrase is king and playing relaxed is way to get there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: