• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MF Boxer Shorts Study

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: MF Boxer Shorts Study Reply with quote

With the Dubba C Challenge; the High C Challenge and all of the impressive real time "studies" occurring I wanted to enroll eleven others to embark upon a MF Boxer Shorts Study.

I know my playable range and highest sustainable note. I am proposing that eleven of us (along with myself) purchase seven pair of the MF Boxer Shorts (one pair to wear daily) and play our normal daily routine. My happens to be "A Tribute to William Adam, His Teachings & His Routine" followed by ten minutes of range studies.

I know this would make me feel closer to Maynard if not actually increasing my range by a third or fifth. I am excited to begin this study.

https://maynardferguson.com/product/maynard-ferguson-boxer-shorts/
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the shorts going to be submitted for examination? (like fishing tournement photos)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some would be better off with Pampers.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tighty whities actuall add about a 3rd to my usable range
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51recording wrote:

...because they are two sizes too small?
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starkadder wrote:
area51recording wrote:

...because they are two sizes too small?

Well.....they ARE "tighty"....
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do "bigger better", "right tool for the job", "efficiency", tongue arching, air velocity, etc. matter too in this study ?
best
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I think some would be better off with Pampers.

Or...

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/oops-i-crapped-my-pants/n11128
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
do "bigger better", "right tool for the job", "efficiency", tongue arching, air velocity, etc. matter too in this study ? :)
best

Actually, this "study" is a supplemental study to the many "challenges" going on at the moment. Perhaps if you have a size 40 waist like me (or bigger) ... "bigger better" would apply. We are studying the mere usage of the MF logo on official "MF Drawers" being able to boost ones range; therefore, whatever school of thought you subscribe to would remain the same.

I have my Team of scientist assembled and the study will launch very soon. Some will be wearing pseudo-MF Drawers (fakes) and others the officially licensed MF underwear purchasable from MaynardFerguson.com

John - If you dookie in your pants while playing, I recommend trying The Wedge or practicing really close to a toilet like I do.

Next - I may launch a low C# Challenge.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first serious thread in this compartment of TH in years. Normally I never read posts here but this thread is one I really like!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
JVL wrote:
do "bigger better", "right tool for the job", "efficiency", tongue arching, air velocity, etc. matter too in this study ?
best

Actually, this "study" is a supplemental study to the many "challenges" going on at the moment. Perhaps if you have a size 40 waist like me (or bigger) ... "bigger better" would apply. We are studying the mere usage of the MF logo on official "MF Drawers" being able to boost ones range; therefore, whatever school of thought you subscribe to would remain the same.

I have my Team of scientist assembled and the study will launch very soon. Some will be wearing pseudo-MF Drawers (fakes) and others the officially licensed MF underwear purchasable from MaynardFerguson.com

John - If you dookie in your pants while playing, I recommend trying The Wedge or practicing really close to a toilet like I do.

Hello Russell,

Warning : this study, and the next ones, must absolutely be done "double blinded"
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an official MF "road jacket" complete with my name embroidered on it that was given to me by a long time member of MF's band many years ago. I've kept it as a piece of MF history but if this study turns out the way I think it will I'm going to start wearing it during performances, even tuxedo performances (playing high notes will always be more important than any silly dress code).

A big THANK YOU! to the team of scientists studying this important topic! I have a feeling a high note revelation is on the horizon!
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
JVL wrote:
best

In order to make this study scientifically meaningful, it needs to be designed as a double blind study with the participants not knowing which group they were assigned to ( placebo MF vs. true Trade Marked Boxer Shorts) until after the results are in. It should be published in a peer reviewed journal, so TH should work. There should be certain criteria that should exclude participants with medical conditions such as urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, brain as well as other types of aneurysms, epistaxis, hernias, and excessive flatulence, to name a few. Once the official study is completed, if there are enough interested participants, perhaps a third group wearing tight BVD Briefs could be studied as well.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If MF Boxers require faster air, count me out. I don't want to have to enlarge my backbore.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
If MF Boxers require faster air, count me out. I don't want to have to enlarge my backbore.

It could also result in a Hemorrhoidectomy if not done with care.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSmith1226 wrote:
RussellDDixon wrote:
JVL wrote:
do "bigger better", "right tool for the job", "efficiency", tongue arching, air velocity, etc. matter too in this study ? :)
best

In order to make this study scientifically meaningful, it needs to be designed as a double blind study with the participants not knowing which group they were assigned to ( placebo MF vs. true Trade Marked Boxer Shorts) until after the results are in. It should be published in a peer reviewed journal, so TH should work. There should be certain criteria that should exclude participants with medical conditions such as urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, brain as well as other types of aneurysms, epistaxis, hernias, and excessive flatulence, to name a few. Once the official study is completed, if there are enough interested participants, perhaps a third group wearing tight BVD Briefs could be studied as well.

Well if "urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, brain as well as other types of aneurysms, epistaxis, hernias, and excessive flatulence" eradicates one from The Study ... someone else will have to take on the Lead. I have urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, hiatial hernias, excessive flatulence as well as GIRD which allows me to recite full sentences in robust belches.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:

I think they are being sold because Maynard wore them daily ? I tried to get my highschool band director involved here and he told me he prefers his harry James Double Cup Parduba Drawers that he already has.
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Well if "urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, brain as well as other types of aneurysms, epistaxis, hernias, and excessive flatulence" eradicates one from The Study ... someone else will have to take on the Lead. I have urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, hiatial hernias, excessive flatulence as well as GIRD which allows me to recite full sentences in robust belches.[/quote]

Mr. Dixon,
You have made an excellent point about the GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease). That too would be a disqualifying medical condition. On the other hand GERD, if harnessed correctly, could bring a new dimension to Circular Breathing.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSmith1226 wrote:
... GERD, if harnessed correctly, could bring a new dimension to Circular Breathing.
Technically, if you use gastric gasses, it's triangular breathing.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell,
you must enlarge the study with some fights between the alumni :
Caruso vs Gordon ; Chicago vs Bill Adam; Free buzzing vs horn playing; John Mohan vs Kalijah; BE vs Mendez etc etc, of course with turns in the fights

Moderators : it's not a post calling to "hate", it's a joke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: