• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Range issues...not sure what to use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Range issues...not sure what to use Reply with quote

For several months I was playing on a Monette B3S3, which is fairly large. I loved it, but recently I have been experiencing range issues that I can’t seem to overcome. I am not yet a developed player (still in high school). For my Easter gig I had to play fairly high so went back to an old mouthpiece, my GR 64M, with success. I thought the change would be temporary, but I seem to have a much more even sound with more consistent range and endurance on the GR. Problem is it feels a bit small. I believe it is about a 7c diameter, and I have fairly big lips. I also don’t feel like I’m getting as big of a sound as I did with the Monette. Plus, I don’t need a small mouthpiece since I’m not doing any lead playing.

The goal is the best sound I can get and feel comfortable, I don’t really care about what mouthpiece it is as far as price and brand.

I’m thinking either a bigger GR or a smaller Monette since I’m familiar with those brands. Not sure about cup size and whatnot.

Thoughts?
kozzicomma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's recommended that you find a good local teacher, if you do not have one currently. Ask them that same question, once they get to understand where you are in your development on the horn. I almost hesitate to even answer your question directly due to how incredibly important it is to your development to find a good teacher. However, a good fairly general statement would be "use the smallest mouthpiece you can while still achieving your goals (tone production, flexibility, range, endurance, articulation, etc.). There's WAY too much emphasis (possibly involving too much ego) from less experienced communities/players/teachers to use larger mouthpieces. Amazing players use small mouthpieces with lots of success. It's all related to your individual facial structure and approach to playing and can't be answered as generally as you probably would like it to be. Again: find a good local teacher and ask them to help you choose.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're favoring the GR for pretty sound reasons. I'd stick with it. I wouldn't put too much weight on "feels small" or "I have big lips". In the long run, these notions don't really matter. If you really feel you need the bigger perceived sound of the Monette I suspect that GR will suggest something to close that gap.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call a GR64 really small. I am a 7C size guy and I have a GR65 and that feels a touch smaller than a modern Bach 7C. So, I would get some mouthpiece that "splits the difference" between the two size extremes of what you have now.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just glancing at the GR website I'm seeing that moving to a size 65 gives you somewhat bigger ID and a whole lot more cup options including some that are likely more similar to the Monette B3 S3 which claims to compare to the Bach 1.5C.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the advice. Where is the nearest GR consultant? I live in Maryland
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Thanks so much for the advice. Where is the nearest GR consultant? I live in Maryland

I'd start here.
https://www.grmouthpieces.com/category-s/250.htm
Or here.
https://www.grmouthpieces.com/category-s/272.htm

They have a reputation for being pretty helpful. Perhaps TH'ers will chime in with other options.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Monette (various 4 and 6 models) for about 5 years. While I haven‘t found anything with a sound quite as big as the M pieces, I also found I did not really like the rims and the way the cup and the rim connected.

After a short search and trial phase I am now pretty much set with the MPs listed below. I get along with GR and Curry pieces much better than with the Monettes and no one has complained about poor sound so far. Go GR if you like them, they are great.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the GR folks very helpful via email. You can't try the pieces unfortunately, but I don't think a short-term impression means much in any case.

If you are considering the GR 65MX I have a looks-new one I will be selling soon for $120. I personally prefer a bit deeper so am keeping the 65L as my go-to GR piece. The 65L is still less deep than a Bach 7C.

I confess that most of my playing time is in the Monette camp these days.. B6D S1 currently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: