• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn needs frequent polishing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Horn needs frequent polishing Reply with quote

Hello, my horn is silver plated and less than a year old. Every time I polish it, it stays nice for just a few days, then looks like it needs polishing again. It develops that red stuff (I forget what it is called) on the bell and it all the crevices. It’s pretty agaonizing that my horn is new and never really looks clean, despite the times I give it a bath and polish every few months.

Could this have something to do with the room I keep my horn in? Possible the polish I use? Is this normal?

Thanks,

CJ
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the brand?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
jrd19580

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be watching this thread with great interest as that is my one frustration with Silver Horns!

John
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I last polished my Yamaha in 1995, and it's looked about the same since 1996. Maybe just don't worry about it so much
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t seen my silver horns turn red. Although I just read that silver tarnish starts out pink and eventually becomes black.

Tarnish is silver combining with sulfur. Burning fossil fuels adds sulfur to the air. Also cat urine appears to have sulfur based on what happened to my horn after the cat urinated on the case it was in.

You aren’t using a red jewelers cloth to polish your horn are you? If so I recommend you stop as they are abrasive and will remove your silver.

That said, find and use a silver polish that has an anti tarnish component. Tarnishield from 3M has been the standard for a long time.

Last edited by LittleRusty on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen anything turn red on a silver horn
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a low abrasive wax like Meguiars Class and then periodically wax with a pure wax like Mothers Carnuaba Wax. I use a small square of a clean sponge and buff with a new Microfiber cloth . Use a new sponge each time.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I. likewise, have never had any red on my silver horns.

Anyway, if you go over it with Maas Metal Protector, it will polish it and leave a coating which will keep it shiny.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you leave your horn out of the case or in the case?
Mine will tarnish quickly when I leave them out on their stands, but less so if I store them in the case. That said, out of sight, out of mind--I practice more if I see them out by my desk. I'll live with the tarnish.

I use Wright's non-abrasive silver polish maybe two or three times per year--the rest of the time I just wipe them down with a soft cloth whenever I notice the tarnish building up.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pink color is likely due to copper showing through silver:
https://www.finishing.com/184/93.shtml

In other words, either the original silver plate was too thin, or it was worn out by repeated polishing.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn needs frequent polishing Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Hello, my horn is silver plated and less than a year old. Every time I polish it, it stays nice for just a few days, then looks like it needs polishing again. It develops that red stuff (I forget what it is called) on the bell and it all the crevices. It’s pretty agaonizing that my horn is new and never really looks clean, despite the times I give it a bath and polish every few months.

Could this have something to do with the room I keep my horn in? Possible the polish I use? Is this normal?

Thanks,

CJ

How many times in a year have you polished it? If it were me, I wouldn't have polished it until at least 1 year. If you are using an abrasive silver polish, you have possibly removed the silver and are seeing the copper and/or brass beneath.

Normally, red is not a color one associates with silver tarnish.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a horn with a brittania silver bell 98.+ pure silver made by Taylor on my Eclipse. It also turns a little red then brown never let it get black. This was due to a cat pissing on a leather couch where I practiced. So it is due to a reaction with silver. It would never happen if I kept in case. After a good cleaning and polish I use spray wax for cars and buff.
Rod
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about silver plated brass turning red, however, I've found that wrapping my silver-plated trumpets in this kind of tarnish-resistant fabric really does prevent tarnishing while they're stored in their cases:

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Tarnish-Silver-Cloth-Brown/dp/B00S5FP2FK/ref=pd_day0_hl_201_1/130-9690740-7290936?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00S5FP2FK&pd_rd_r=a2407bf9-63c6-11e9-81c3-e19ee3aed6a0&pd_rd_w=AdgFM&pd_rd_wg=vw4OK&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=JBF76A4DFJ6WCDY04178&psc=1&refRID=JBF76A4DFJ6WCDY04178

Using this stuff can really reduce the amount of polishing that is needed, which in turn prolongs the life of the silver plating by quite a lot.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Lips wrote:
I don't know anything about silver plated brass turning red, however, I've found that wrapping my silver-plated trumpets in this kind of tarnish-resistant fabric really does prevent tarnishing while they're stored in their cases:

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Tarnish-Silver-Cloth-Brown/dp/B00S5FP2FK/ref=pd_day0_hl_201_1/130-9690740-7290936?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00S5FP2FK&pd_rd_r=a2407bf9-63c6-11e9-81c3-e19ee3aed6a0&pd_rd_w=AdgFM&pd_rd_wg=vw4OK&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=JBF76A4DFJ6WCDY04178&psc=1&refRID=JBF76A4DFJ6WCDY04178

Using this stuff can really reduce the amount of polishing that is needed, which in turn prolongs the life of the silver plating by quite a lot.

I made pouches with drawstrings to hold my silver horns. I never had much of a tarnish issue, but my triple case allows the C and Bb bells to touch resulting in scratches. As long as I was making pouches I thought why not used anti-tarnish fabric?
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always leave my horn out on its stand. I didn’t know that might be a cause.

I’ve only polished it a few times since I got it. It’s a 19037 Bach.

I use Wright’s silver polish, which is like a cream applied with a sponge. What would you suggest for polishing?
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I always leave my horn out on its stand. I didn’t know that might be a cause.

I’ve only polished it a few times since I got it. It’s a 19037 Bach.

I use Wright’s silver polish, which is like a cream applied with a sponge. What would you suggest for polishing?

Wright's is fine. Leaving the horn out on its stand in the open air speeds up the tarnishing process. Keeping it in the case will help it stay shiny. But then you might practice less.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
Hmm, I last polished my Yamaha in 1995, and it's looked about the same since 1996. Maybe just don't worry about it so much

Yup.

- Leaving it out on the stand results in more and quicker tarnish. The horns that sit in case stay fine, if it's out a lot (the ones I practice are usually out somewhere) then it tarnishes within a few weeks, in my experience. The environment does contribute to the speed of the tarnish.

- Wrights is fine, though a bit on the abrasive side according to some. 3M Tarnishield is what I've used (occasionall) and it works well and is recommended by many here on TH.

- Repeated polishing - especially with those "polishing cloths" does wear down the silver plate. I have spots on my Yamaha that are worn the brass due to HS polishing (I got over that) and a double case I used back in the day.

- I don't know what the "red stuff" is. Some of my well tarnished instruments (which is most of my silver ones) have a brownish hue in spots, but not red. That might be something else and due to the particular environment it's in.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same horn-on-the-stand problem with silver plate. I am currently doing an experiment where I throw a bag over the stand when I am done playing, to see if that slows down the rate of tarnishing. I really like having all my horns "at the ready" so don't want to have to keep them in cases, but silver horns don't like direct exposure to the atmosphere. And, some exposed environments are worse than others depending on what's in the air, you and I may have particularly bad ones (I have a fan not too far from mine so lots of air circulation).
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, this is a wild guess and slim possibility, but there is an airborne bacteria known as Serratia Marcescens that is pinkish in color. It could be the cause of your problem.

If it's a Bach Strad, I'd contact them about it.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffM729 wrote:
Now, this is a wild guess and slim possibility, but there is an airborne bacteria known as Serratia Marcescens that is pinkish in color. It could be the cause of your problem.

If it's a Bach Strad, I'd contact them about it.

I am not challenging your advice, but why do you think Bach will be able to help?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: