• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Local Trumpet Great dead at 60...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Local Trumpet Great dead at 60... Reply with quote

Just found out that Jhon Blount (sp) a local giant of the trumpet and ex-Navy Commodore's lead trumpeter died in 2017........he was a bit of a jerk, but indeed a great player and high-note artist. He played in my band "The Latin Fire Band" for a while & we hung out. Indeed a loss to the trumpet world. May he rest in peace!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.columbiadailyherald.com/obituaries/20171102/john-milton-blount-iii

R.I.P.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Claude. I did not know the man, but he was one of us and I'm sorry he died too young.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very sad news. John Blount was my son's trumpet teacher. I also studied with him for a while, after I started playing the trumpet again.

John was a great player, who I saw in concert a few times with the John Blount / Dave Tucker Band. He was a great teacher. I still use his book, Trumpet Solfeggio, as part of my daily routine. And above all else, John was one of the nicest guys and a man of Faith.

http://charlescolin.com/product/trumpet-solfeggio/

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Local Trumpet Great dead at 60... Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
Just found out that Jhon Blount (sp) a local giant of the trumpet and ex-Navy Commodore's lead trumpeter died in 2017........he was a bit of a jerk, but indeed a great player and high-note artist. He played in my band "The Latin Fire Band" for a while & we hung out. Indeed a loss to the trumpet world. May he rest in peace!

You say "may he rest in peace" right after calling him a jerk? I think it's quite evident who the real jerk is and it's not John.

The truth is, that John was the nicest, most unselfish guy a person could ever want to meet. He was a high-integrity individual who would give anyone in need the shirt off his back. I can't imagine how anyone could have anything negative to say about him. And if John did not treat an individual as well as he did others, I'm sure it was for good reason.

Last edited by gabriel127 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smuffsan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Local Trumpet Great dead at 60... Reply with quote

John was my lead trumpet in New Orleans, just before he went to the Commodores. What a great player and fine Sailor! I got to work with him for three years and what a pleasure to be around. RIP John you are missed!
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Local Trumpet Great dead at 60... Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
.he was a bit of a jerk,

Nice... I hope YOU didn't write his obit??
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a bit of a jerk. Are you?
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Local Trumpet Great dead at 60... Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
Claude1949 wrote:

You say "may he rest in peace" right after calling him a jerk? I think it's quite evident who the real jerk is and it's not John.

The truth is, that John was the nicest, most unselfish guy a person could ever want to meet. He was a high-integrity individual who would give anyone in need the shirt off his back. I can't imagine how anyone could have anything negative to say about him. And if John did not treat an individual as well as he did others, I'm sure it was for good reason.

John played in my band many, many years ago....at that time he was "quite controversial" and did not get along with none of the other musicians in the band. I understand that we all mature & change, so I have no doubt John did change for the best in his later years & I am glad to hear that many of you think so highly of him. I never said he was a "bad guy", just that AT THAT STAGE OF HIS LIFE, he had a big ego. Agree he was a great player & a good man.....I apologize if I offended anyone w/my comment.
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what your opinion is, I don't even see the point of initiating your thread. It's not news. His passing was announced right here on Trumpet Herald when it occurred over a year-and-a-half ago.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145203&highlight=john+blount

To take the initiative to create a post that contains a jab at the guy at this late juncture is suspect as well as inappropriate. You don't wish a guy to rest in peace and then bad-mouth him in the same breath.

It's John to whom you owe an apology.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: