• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ten Minute Plan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Ten Minute Plan Reply with quote

After many years of trying to become the best player I can be I think I've hit on a plan that is yielding promising results, especially in the endurance category.

I try to fit as many 10 minute playing sessions as I can into my day. This obviously wouldn't be practical for someone who's not retired but it suits my schedule perfectly.

I try to do something different every session: scales, technical drills, Real Book tunes, ii-V-I practice, big band charts, etc. I'm finding that the shorter sessions help me stay focused and is definitely friendlier to my chops

If you've got a schedule that allows it, you might want to give it a try for a week. Hopefully, you'll be pleased with the results!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
CartersPop

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not retired but am trying to get back into playing more and more. Being full time at work and full time father of an 11yr old at home leaves little dedicated time for practicing and playing, although I do get to run thru pieces with my trumpet playing son when he practices for band and orchestra. I also sneak in my "10 minutes" over lunch most days. I snag additional fragments of embouchre development time on my daily commute, believe it or not, doing serial arpeggios on a beat up old King 602 cornet that I leave on the seat of my car next to me. I pick it up anytime I have 30 seconds or so at a stoplight or otherwise stopped in rush hour traffic. Just noodling around but it is better than nothing. I get a lot of funny looks from other drivers, and usually a thumbs up from the street musician who also plays a trumpet for change by a stoplight on my route home.

p.s. I recommend you only do this only when alone in the car, with the windows rolled up.
Conn '27 22B New York Symphony Trum
White '25 King Liberty Silver Trum
JinYin '15 Marching Bb Fr Horn
Conn '35 New Wonder 80A Corn w/m
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ten Minute Plan Reply with quote

I work from home (we run a guest house/B&Ab) so this is what I do. I fit in my 10 minute slots through the day. Lucky, as I remember the days of 9-5 jobs and coming home and trying to practise after a full days work.

jhatpro wrote:
After many years of trying to become the best player I can be I think I've hit on a plan that is yielding promising results, especially in the endurance category.

I try to fit as many 10 minute playing sessions as I can into my day. This obviously wouldn't be practical for someone who's not retired but it suits my schedule perfectly.

I try to do something different every session: scales, technical drills, Real Book tunes, ii-V-I practice, big band charts, etc. I'm finding that the shorter sessions help me stay focused and is definitely friendlier to my chops

If you've got a schedule that allows it, you might want to give it a try for a week. Hopefully, you'll be pleased with the results!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve found a somewhat similar result: I teach lessons three times per week, it surprised me how much just playing along with students (I have 24) helps with endurance overall, even though we’re playing pretty basic stuff. That and a gig or two on the weekend really helps...at least with general endurance.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: