• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First Flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Hamel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: First Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I'm a University student interested in buying a solid, inexpensive flugelhorn, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

I've considered the ACB Doubler, I also found a deal on a Getzen Eterna 4 valve for about $900.

I'm quite intrigued by the Getzen, should I get either of them, is there another brand I should check out? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all Welcome to TH..

Many good used Flugels out there.. If possible, you'll always want to play before you buy, or at least be comfortable with the Brand/Model you're buying. Talk to your College studio teacher - may have guidance and/or connections.

Yamahs 631's are an old workhorse - play much like a trumpet, so easy to get used to and have a decent tone.
Getzens, Couesnon, Kanstul, Bach, Adams, Schilke, Eclipse, Stomvi.. on and on.. so many good brands
Flugels can be fickle, moreso than trumpets. so buying a cheap on may leave you in a frustrating situation-not liking to play the instrument.

One note. Look up the Flugelhorn mouthpiece Morse Size thing. There are 3 different mouthpiece shank sizes - thus drives your mouthpiece selection a little. "I played a Couesnon in school then bought a Yamaha, then realized I needed a new mouthpiece too.."

Take a look through the TH Marketplace.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
walldaja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend any bore smaller than 0.433. There are some 0.460 bore horns out there that sound too much like trumpets. Sweetest horn I ever played was a Courtois 154 with the "straight-thru" valve block (I think they are the only brand to do this). Make sure whatever horn you decide to get one with a trigger on the third slide to solve intonation issues with low C# / D. Mouthpiece selection is important too, make sure you get a real deep cup and heed the advice above about mouthpiece fitting the horn--there are some different shanks out there.

Sonare TRC-800, Dennis Wick 1.5C
Blessing Standard, Denis Wick 1.5C
Accent TR959 CDB C tpt Stork XM2 Studio Mstr
Jupiter 846S Flug Schilke 18F
Shires Q30GR T-bone 5 / 4 CL
Yamaha YBL-421G T-bone 2 CL
Jean Baptist Euphonium Stork 4
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially if you want to buy new as opposed to used, I think you can’t go wrong with the ACB, I had one, should not have sold it.

I also have a Manchester flugel I bought from Trent, it’s somewhat more expensive, (around 1100), but also plays great.

Brad
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: First Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Brian Hamel wrote:
I'm a University student interested in buying a solid, inexpensive flugelhorn, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

I've considered the ACB Doubler, I also found a deal on a Getzen Eterna 4 valve for about $900.

I'm quite intrigued by the Getzen, should I get either of them, is there another brand I should check out? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

The ACB is a good choice. The Getzen Eterna is also a good choice. It depends on what you like. We all have our personal preferences.

I've owned a Getzen Eterna 4-Valve Flugelhorn since the 1970s. It's a great horn with a great sound and great valves. To clarify walldaja's comments, a larger bore flugelhorn will "feel" more like a trumpet to the person playing it, but it will still "sound" like a flugelhorn to those listening to it.

The best way to decide is to try out a few horns to see what you like. Your $900 budget gives you a few options ... a used Yamaha 631, a used Carol Brass, a used Getzen, a used Jupiter 846R, a new ACB, a new Dillon, and many other reasonable choices. Trent, who sells the ACB, is a member here, and will hopefully give you his suggestions.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled into the Elkhart tribe of flugelhorns that were made by Couesnon as my foray into flugels, and I have honed my understanding of those horns into something that works well for me. I use a Sparx 4 flugelhorn mouthpiece in the horn (I have two) that has the large Morse taper pipe, and a variety of Marcinkiewicz pieces in the older horn, which has a French taper pipe. I have played with a guy who has his masters in performance and plays a Courtois 154, and another player who uses Trent's Brasspire flugel, and my horn blends well. I pull the first slide about 3/16" and the third slide about 3/8" and lip the rest.

Bach makes an Elkhart model that I think is mainly sold in the European market right now, but these horns are older Elkharts that were built by Couesnon, with all the usual Couesnon markings and quirks. If Paris Streets at dawn after a night of music fill your mind, use the original Couesnon mouthpiece or a Shew Marcinkiewicz.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Yamaha 631/731 , no need to adjust the blow from trumpet to flugel, fat flugel sound built like a tank , many pros around the world use them for many decades now and in your price range , good luck.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the ACB doubler and I wouldn't recommend it. Paid plenty of money for shipping and restocking fees. Cost me all that money just to find out it was a lousy horn. It's like throwing money out the window. Intonation was bad and it was difficult to play. I felt like I was fighting the thing, not playing it.

Try the CarolBrass. Much better horn at a great price. Check out how Josh Shpak sounds playing Round Midnight on it on YouTube.

Steve Dillard (Horn Trader) reviews one on YouTube also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: