• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Over Shooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Over Shooting Reply with quote

Have been back a few months - Last couple of weeks, while playing soft ballads, having problems slotting into correct notes moving up, usually shooting high. E.G., Moving up from say M-C to F above the staff, and 1/3 of time hitting higher up to B-Flat.

Good news, I couldn't play B-Flat 2 months ago. Bad news is I don't want to. It's like hitting a shank in golf, starts to get into your head.

Any Tips?

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, when I start to miss on the high side, it's usually because I have introduced some sort of resistance into my playing. Have you changed equipment lately? If you have a new horn that has some resistance in it - that an old horn didn't, for example - notes may "pop up" to the next partial. The same thing goes if you are on a new mouthpiece with a smaller throat, backbore, etc.

If it's not the equipment, you may just be pinching a little. It may be the chops, but it may also be your setup. For example, a tight throat may restrict the air flow, which then causes the chops to tighten in order to compensate. The result is missing on the high side. There may be many reasons, but starting with good posture and good air flow is always a good starting point. As most people say at this point, go play for someone that's better than you. Even a single lesson with a good professional may set you back on the right path!

Post your findings - we'd all love to learn!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Over Shooting Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:
Have been back a few months - Last couple of weeks, while playing soft ballads, having problems slotting into correct notes moving up, usually shooting high. E.G., Moving up from say M-C to F above the staff, and 1/3 of time hitting higher up to B-Flat.

Good news, I couldn't play B-Flat 2 months ago. Bad news is I don't want to. It's like hitting a shank in golf, starts to get into your head.

It sounds very much that you are on the right track in your comeback! Bravo!

What may be happening is that as you regain some facility, strength etc. you are finding it easier to play higher, but are still forcing like a less strong version of your playing. So, you can ease up and relax a little, but also start to work in this higher register more so you become accustomed to playing there.

So it's all abut perspective. This isn't a problem, but a blessing!

cheers

Andy
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -

I like the airflow issue. Perhaps not coincidently, I have had a persistent cough past few weeks. When I try to exhale in an open fashion or play with an open throat, I cough more often than not. I very well may be closing it off in the back of the throat in defense of the coughing? Anway, let's go with that for now.

Heading to the Dr. Tuesday. Once I get some resolution to that, then back to my regular professional for a lesson.

GaryF

50 year layoff
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Over Shooting Reply with quote

[/quote]

What may be happening is that as you regain some facility, strength etc. you are finding it easier to play higher, but are still forcing like a less strong version of your playing. So, you can ease up and relax a little, but also start to work in this higher register more so you become accustomed to playing there.

So it's all abut perspective. This isn't a problem, but a blessing!

cheers

Andy[/quote]

Andy, thanks for the encouragement.

I think you have a good point as well. Have been working on Leadpipe exercises, lip bends, with a couple of lessons. Definitely playing higher without as much pressure than 2-3 months ago. An A & Bb above the staff now feels like a D & E a few weeks back. When I started back 5 months ago, I was having to struggle for a while just to play above middle C. So i feel good about that.

The improved range and endurance has opened up some new music options to me but I am definitely not accustomed to playing higher and I get a frustrated having the range but lacking the precision and consistency. So, i'll get the airflow thing resolved, have some patience and keep moving forward.

GaryF

50 year layoff
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: follow-up Reply with quote

Just a follow-up to my previous post.

I believe the airflow is fix - had lesson yesterday. As I go up, I have a tendency to give it a little too much "gas" (air). So its either going to get louder and/or higher. Taking in the air lower in belly, holding that abdominal pressure and focusing on even flow of air seems to do the trick. I just need to work on doing that naturally and consistently in my playing. Even on a C scale from low C to middle C, I was unconsciously giving it more on the middle C for no good reason.

50 year layoff
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:
Thanks -

I like the airflow issue. Perhaps not coincidently, I have had a persistent cough past few weeks. When I try to exhale in an open fashion or play with an open throat, I cough more often than not. I very well may be closing it off in the back of the throat in defense of the coughing? Anway, let's go with that for now.

GaryF

I think you may be on to something, there. This spring has been the worst for allergies I can remember, and on top of that I have (usually) mild asthma. It's been coughing, wheezing and sneezing for over a month. And, perhaps not coincidentally, my ability to switch quickly between low (around mid-C) and high (top-of-staff E and above) all too often ends in buzzing or fluttering lately.

Just to make things worse, I had a strong reaction to a vaccination yesterday, and haven't been able to practice for two days. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the horn tomorrow and work on the problem you describe.

-BB
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe the airflow is fix - had lesson yesterday. As I go up, I have a tendency to give it a little too much "gas" (air). So its either going to get louder and/or higher.

Air pressure controls the sound volume. If you are overshooting it means that your embouchure/aperture is set for a pitch that is higher than intended.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the input you've been getting goes to the same place - you have to develop a feel for where the notes are. As you gain in strength and technique and keep adding to your range, you have to develop renewed sense of how much you have to push for the various notes.

I'm sure scales, interval exercises, working on picking off notes among other things will help.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: