• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New or vintage .460(ish) long/American cornets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: New or vintage .460(ish) long/American cornets? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been looking for cornets to play traditional jazz, but I'm definitely not a big fan of large bore horns. Also, I'm looking for long/American cornets (with no shepherd's crook).

I already tried a King Master cornet but that one was not a good specimen.

What other options (new or vintage) I could try?

Thank you.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds Ambassadors, 50s-60s vintage. The horns made after 1960 use a standard shank cornet mouthpiece--the earlier ones had a proprietary taper and could only use the Olds mouthpiece. My Ambassador was made around 1964--it looks like someone used it for a catcher's mitt, but it plays really well and would be a great horn for Dixieland music if I ever had any Dixie gigs.

I believe they're medium bore horns, don't have the actual specs.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Long Cornet, King Master when medium bore, Blessing Artist, H. N. White "The Cleveland", Conn (depends on era), Holtons and a bunch of others. The key is the small to med. bore. Some will say Conn 80A but I find them too projecting and so backing off affects the character of the sound, so I'm not a fan for true traditional jazz. But then the mouthpiece can do a lot. Also, Reynolds makes a nice Master style too.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blessing Artist is a .485 bore.

See if you can get your hands on a Holton model 29.
The Holton c602 is .460 and would also work well. Also the older Collegiate line. And although it has a shepherds crook, the Holton New Proportion long model is pretty decent.
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Martin Imperial Cornet?
Should cover all the bases and you can still find them for a decent price.
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite
Yamaha 8335LA

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
Wrms
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bach 181 would fit the bill. I use that (ML 37) or a 80A for almost all of the trad stuff that I do. Both horns respond well to mp changes.

Good luck

Mark
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: New or vintage .460ish long cornets Reply with quote

I agree about the Bach 181 as a nice long cornet. Been a long time since I used one but they were nice, and if you like long cornet bodies. Schilke also makes the A1 long cornet model and that was magical, at least the one I had a chance to play in college was. I liked both of them as long cornets but would take the Schilke for its sound and projection by a tad. Good topic.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a bunch of old(ish) cornets to play jazz on. Realistically, I find them very temperamental and I only settle into a horn long enough for me to start looking into something different. I've settled (for now, WHO KNOWS?) on a Conn Connstellation 28A (which behaves like a cornet, but sounds more like a warm and dark trumpet). I use it for just about everything except lead playing. Love it. BUT, I went through a King Master (loved that too), a Olds Ambassador, a Yamaha YCR-631, a Martin Committee... each of those I've owned and USED for a considerable enough time. It's a hard thing to comment on, I just reckon you should try a whole heap (don't write anything off because of bore size) and spend some time with what you feel comfortable with.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding vintage, Derby_Mute, one of our members here has tremendous experience playing traditional jazz. Here is one of his posts:

Quote:
I've played trad jazz for 40+ years and used a lot of horns in the process. If I had to pick one long model, I'd go for a Selmer K-modified, either MB or LB. I've had several and they're wonderful horns. I especially like the valve action on Selmers.

My current favorite is a Selmer model 43 from 1982, which, I suppose, is technically a long model cornet but it has a tighter wrap than a K-mod and so is more the size of a shepherd's crook. I also like the Selmer Concept shepherd's crook. A wonderful horn sadly no longer made.

Benge long model cornets are also wonderful players. I have one, a MB "3" from the mid-1970s. A fabulous cornet.

I'm also a fan of older Blessing cornets. I own one from the 1970s, an Artist model, that's a terrific cornet (a stencil with the name "Baldwin.")

Another favorite, recently acquired, is a pre-WWII Olds Special.

I own a 1941 Conn 80A that I don't play because I don't care for the large bore size. I also have an 8A from the same year, which is a nice playing cornet and has a medium bore. I've also played King Master/Silvertone/Silver Sonic cornets, and they are very good instruments, although, that said, I have owned a couple that weren't up to the quality of others I've had.

I asked him one time what mouthpiece he played. He told me when he got to New Orleans, another player recommended the Holton Heim Model 2. He's been playing it ever since. It took some time for me to find one. It makes playing this genre of music so much easier. My King Silvertone (which I got from him) really likes this mouthpiece.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Brianjones

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Of the modern long model cornets I have owned i really liked the Bach 181 37ML and the Bach 181 25L.

The current one i own is a Taylor Chicago and its a lovely thing to play.

All the best

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: